Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Stress and sleep
Stress and sleep
The pandemic did not effect me in as much as others. But it has reduced greatly being able to connect with other people. I'm sort of a loner, live alone, no friends, family, just friendamies and enemies. "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, gloom...despair, and agony on meeeee", sort of thing. The pandemic has made me more aware of how important connection with people is. Life is hard, I envy you who have family, friends, who care and support.

Yesterday I was able to connect through zoom to a group of people who I have grown to know, sort of an eastern philosophy Buddhism group. It helped me feel a little more human again, and feel more connected. My AHI that night was the lowest it has been using the same settings. It's still technically to high, but it was the lowest.

So fear, anxiety, stress, feelings of disconnection, seems to effect AHI. Thought I should post this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Stress and sleep
Jeremy, thank you for this post. It's good to know you are on a path that may improve your sleep -- and life! I hope your story will help other people.

You might be interested in this:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/mental-h...-and-sleep

There's lots of evidence that apnea and depression are correlated, and some evidence that there can be a causal relation in both directions.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I don't sleep well, I can get depressed. When I get depressed, I don't sleep so well. 

I'm sure there's an off-ramp some where. I just haven't seen it yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dormeo, I think one of life's greatest challenges as time goes by is life's challenges. "Today is the yesterday you were afraid of tomorrow" a quote I heard recently. But what good does it do to hear that right? Now more than before finding a good friend who IS strong, and can support oneself can make the difference between just surviving to live another day or thriving and be able to lend an encouraging hand to someone else.
It all effects sleep. At one point I had full blown narcolepsy in the late 80's .I would fall asleep just standing up and would wake up while slamming onto the floor. That was before OSA was cool....

Fortunately I did get a diagnosis of OSA. There is no single thing that can help with depression, like a pill. Lets say you loose someone close to you like so many have this year. Seems it boils down to an internal struggle to find a way out, to stay strong for yourself and those who know you. I view sleep as the beginning of the next day, not the end of it. I think just a brisk walk for 20 min. a day for me, helps al ot along with a meditative practice that helps connect with the greater universe, which we are all deeply connected to, we are star dust right (Carl Sagen)? 

The people I most feel a deep sadness for is ex-military who had no choice but to follow orders that resulted in the deaths of so many other human beings. That must be ruff. How do you recover from that and sleep well?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 682 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Stress, Medical Procedures, and Centrals mesenteria 2 618 05-13-2022, 07:14 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.