Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea or not
Apnea or not
Hi guys, I need some help. I am waking up at night Just seconds before before I falling a sleep with some anxiety and gasping for air. This can happen 5 times in a row. My body want to sleep but my mind telling for my body to fight or flight. This is so annoying. I have those nights not on regular basis one week once other twice or more times per week. This morning I thought that this is just my anxiety (I have anxiety disorder). Maybe I have spleen apnea? It is so scary those moments it feels that I forgetting to breathe. Strange that I have those moment only first minute after I falling a sleep never in the morgen of middle of the sleep. Yesterday there was 3 episodes in a row and today none. Or it is just my anxiety disorder fight or flight? My GP told me not worry it is just micro panic attacks. I read about sleep apnea but usually people having lot of episodes all night long and me only first minutes of my sleep. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea or not
Welcome to AB!  It’s interesting that you only seem to have the episodes at the onset of sleep and not during sleep.  I have also struggled off and on with anxiety (controlled now), and I think it’s very possible for that to be the cause.  If that’s the case, you needn’t necessarily worry about Apnea, but should certainly take steps to minimize anxiety so you can get more restful sleep.

Would you describe it as anxiety or as a panic attack?  Breathing exercises, and progressive muscle relaxation can be very effective at helping combat those, particularly when they occur quickly and with a known trigger (sleep onset).

That said, if you are experiencing daytime sleepiness, I would want to rule out apnea as a potential cause.  There is a relationship between Sleep disordered breathing and anxiety, and treating apnea can positively impact anxiety.  

The least invasive method of determining if you have sleep apnea would be to toss on an APAP with wide open settings for a few nights, or do an at home study.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LinasCH. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It's very common for many (most?) apneacs to have multiple events through the night and not know about it. The fact that you only remember the events as you drop off to sleep does not rule out other events happening later during the night.

A rough screening tool is the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, a simple questionnaire which will give you a score based on how you feel through the day. If you score 10 or higher you should take steps to have the sleepiness investigated. Especially if you snore - which again you might not be aware of but your bed partner will no doubt let you know.

Epworth questionnaire: https://www.apneaboard.com/sleep-apnea-i...iness-test
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 08:00 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi LinasCH. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It's very common for many (most?) apneacs to have multiple events through the night and not know about it. The fact that you only remember the events as you drop off to sleep does not rule out other events happening later during the night.

A rough screening tool is the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, a simple questionnaire which will give you a score based on how you feel through the day. If you score 10 or higher you should take steps to have the sleepiness investigated. Especially if you snore - which again you might not be aware of but your bed partner will no doubt let you know.

Epworth questionnaire:  https://www.apneaboard.com/sleep-apnea-i...iness-test
Hello,

Thank you very much my score is 4. Strange I have those events not every night. Maybe it is just my anxiety panic disorder. I don’t snore my partner never mentioned this. Next week I have appointment with my GP we will see what I can do further
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,887 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,526 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.