Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea results
Apnea results
I completed my sleep apnea night a the hospital hotel a little confused, I was scared of the mask from the start of the test and laid in the bed concentrating in the air flow in the mask while focused on the ceiling for what seemed like hours, I at some point fell asleep only to wake up ripping the mask off my face and sweating nervously, the clinic workers came in and acted confused almost upset w/ why this happened? I explained I had laid there awake for a long period of time nervous about having the mask on my face while sleeping. They ask if I'd try another size mask maybe that would help? I agreed and they set me back up, I again laid there looking at the ceiling before falling asleep scared again and waking back up pulling @ the CPAP mask. This time I was sent home and was under the impression there were NO results from my apnea study test, but I was wrong? Not only did I have sleep apnea I have severe sleep apnea? I explained to my DR at my results appt. that of course the results reflected me being awake most of the night, I agreed! I didn't sleep, the day after the sleep study I had the worst day of my life, tired, headache, no energy, and popping asprine from being up ALL night worried about that mask on my face! He disagreed and on his report NO where did it discuss me waking up and taking the mask off sweating and explaining the workers @ the clinic I hadn't slept because I couldn't. Now I find myself stuck in a medical record that shows me having sleep apnea? Has anyone else been in this situation with the mask scaring them and not sleeping because of it and having those results for your diagnoses?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea results
Could it have been a nightmare perhaps or you were only dreaming that you pulled the mask off? When I went in for my test, I was able to fall asleep with a sleeping pill, which was OK with the clinic, so fortunately I didn't have to go through what you went through. I've been using my CPAP for a month now and I know that there have been numerous times when I thought I was awake but the machine kept detecting hypopneas, so in reality I WAS asleep but didn't realize it. You can especially be susceptible to that if your sleep patterns are already out of whack.

There were also most likely video cameras in the room to record everything, plus you (and the attendant) would certainly know if you changed your mask, so you're right, that doesn't seem to add up.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I wasn't dreaming, two attendants came in and acted as though this never happened and a different mask would do the trick as far as making things better, so I agreed to the new mask, I should of left @ this point because my blood pressure had to of been off the charts as nervous as I was about sleeping with the mask on, again I laid there focused on the ceiling and now nervous about falling back asleep and going through the suffocation affects of freaking out again....
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 03:18 PM)Theowat Wrote: Not only did I have sleep apnea I have severe sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is scary condition and severe sleep apnea is more scarier and not breathing while asleep is even dangerous
While you at the hospital, look around in the wards, there are people with some scary medical conditions that makes sleep apnea sound like a picnic in the park

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea too, also felt did not sleep well and very tired in the morning, actually they recommend to have someone pick you up from the hospital and not to drive yourself home

We might get the impression that we did not sleep enough for the test but sleep time was sufficient for the diagnoses
Get your sleep study report and you'll see the times which you slept in each stages of sleep

Like anything else new, need some time adjusting and getting use to sleeping attached 6ft hose attached to blower but it becomes a routine and don't get surprised one bit, if in time you cannot sleep without it .... yes its true

Here is a video presentation shows how scary sleep apnea is, scroll down to the bottom of the page ... Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home

One more thing ... welcome to apnea board

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Theowat,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going with the oral mouth piece, the kit should be in Thursday to make the impression, then a sleep study w/ it to see how it's working and if I feel any better then the 100% I feel now! I lost 40 pounds after my first sleep study, but that doesn't make anyone exempt from apnea either I guess? Seems like once a DR has you on their car payment plan there's no getting off?
Post Reply Post Reply
Theo, I do not want to tell you what to do, but I will tell you what I would do were I in your position.

First, if I was scared of the mask, I would try to figure out why. Its an inanimate object that is designed to help me, so it makes no sense that it should scare me. I'm not scared of the vacuum cleaner, and it's a lot more hostile and noisy than the mask, so it makes no sense why I might be scared of the mask. Maybe its as simple as it being some sort of claustrophobia. If it just makes no sense after trying to figure that out, I would seek professional help, because regardless the reason, that really is something one can get over. There have been few if any reports of mask assaults listed in the police blotter, after all. XPAP is the only therapy among those available that is virtually 100% effective for the vast majority of sufferers, so I would feel like I had to give it a fighting chance, and find a way to deal.

Second, whether you have SA, and how severe it is, is completely quantifiable by AHI and the individual indexes. A sleep study, and even a night wearing a mask connected to a data-capable xPAP, will tell you exactly what is going on. Once you actually know, then you can entertain options with your sleep doc.

Lab studies are not fun, and most of us would rather have a root canal than a sleep study. If I were you, and I felt like it was something intolerable, I would see if I could opt for a home study. You strap a little box to your chest, string a canula over your ears and under your nose, put a clothspin sensor on your index finger, and go to sleep. That will at least give you enough info for a diagnosis.

The lab study tells much more, and can be used to titrate pressure, but simply having an APAP and intelligently tuning it based on your sleep doc's advice, or even from parsing SleepyHead data yourself, either can eventually titrate you to the correct pressure.

It's not a simple task and sometimes not fun to deal with getting comfortable with the therapy; there is a learning curve and it can take some time and be frustrating (or not), but everyone, and I mean everyone, will tell you that it is absolutely worth the trip.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I had my sleep study 9 years ago i thought i hadn't slept at all and that the whole thing was a failure. The instrument recordings said different. I only slept lightly with frequent interruptions cause by the onset of OA.
Your impression of the study may not be wholly accurate from the point of view of if or how you slept.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 03:18 PM)Theowat Wrote: I completed my sleep apnea night a the hospital hotel a little confused, I was scared of the mask from the start of the test and laid in the bed concentrating in the air flow in the mask while focused on the ceiling for what seemed like hours, I at some point fell asleep only to wake up ripping the mask off my face and sweating nervously, the clinic workers came in and acted confused almost upset w/ why this happened? I explained I had laid there awake for a long period of time nervous about having the mask on my face while sleeping. They ask if I'd try another size mask maybe that would help? I agreed and they set me back up, I again laid there looking at the ceiling before falling asleep scared again and waking back up pulling @ the CPAP mask. This time I was sent home and was under the impression there were NO results from my apnea study test, but I was wrong? Not only did I have sleep apnea I have severe sleep apnea? I explained to my DR at my results appt. that of course the results reflected me being awake most of the night, I agreed! I didn't sleep, the day after the sleep study I had the worst day of my life, tired, headache, no energy, and popping asprine from being up ALL night worried about that mask on my face! He disagreed and on his report NO where did it discuss me waking up and taking the mask off sweating and explaining the workers @ the clinic I hadn't slept because I couldn't. Now I find myself stuck in a medical record that shows me having sleep apnea? Has anyone else been in this situation with the mask scaring them and not sleeping because of it and having those results for your diagnoses?

Theowat,
I also had a bad experience at the sleep clinic. First time, I only slept a little over an hour total according to the techs. I didn't think I slept even 1 minute! From that study they told me due to Medicare rules, they couldn't make a diagnosis with anything under 2 hours of sleep. But they said I had sleep apnea and would have to come back for a second study. Well that was the last thing I wanted to do, but my logical self told me to do it. So, second study, I was a bit calmer, but stilll only slept a total of 2 hours and 20 minutes. I too, am claustrophobic. I stopped breathing over 33 times an hour! This is severe sleep apnea.

As claustrophobic as I am, I literally had to talk myself into wearing the mask. I'm not saying it is easy...it's not! But the alternative is too scary. Now at almost 4 months, do I wish I just could go to bed without being hooked up? Of course! But it has become second nature to me now, and am glad I stuck with this.
Theowat, I dont know anything about the oral appliance...but have you done enough research, and will it stop apnea events? What are the negative affects?

With all that said, I respect your decision, but please keep us informed of your progress.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 154 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 127 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,176 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.