Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea testing
Apnea testing
Can someone get an idea if he had sleep apnea by only looking at the blood oxygen level while sleeping, and why or why not. 

I already had full sleep study, I’m asking for someone else who is using blood oxygen level device nightly. 

Thanks for your time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea testing
Low blood o2 level is one sign of possible apnea, but not the only one. low blood o2 levels can come from other things.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi theMezz

Good question.

Short answer: No.

I think everyone here would agree you need a PSG to see if you have Respiratory Sleep Disturbance  ("apnea"), which type, how bad, the consequences of, etc.

Long winded answer: (sorry I do get carried away Smile )

If you have some way of measuring your O2 while you are asleep....

1. and your O2 never drops, this does not mean you don't have Respiratory Sleep Disturbance  ("apnea")**

2. If O2 does drop while sleeping, this does not mean it is due to Respiratory Sleep Disturbance ("apnea"): you may have had a heart condition, lung condition, embolism, CNS condition, choked on your dentures, survived a pillow attack, whatever...

My Question: so what did your sleep study show?

When I first got my oximeter, I tested my pO2 while awake while breath holding.
30 secs breath hold: no change.
60 secs breath hold: no change.

Sequential 30 secs breath holds with 15 secs breathing in between, minimal fluctuation between 94 - 97%, until I eventually had to stop.

Even with sequential expiratory breath holds my O2 hardly dropped, until I had to stop (CO2 drives the urge to breath, not O2).

Caveat: I have no lung or CVS conditions, and my results may differ one day when I do, as may yours.

In my year on PAP therapy even with Oximeter on most nights, I hardly ever drop below 91% even with Apneas of up to 40 seconds or more. See attached for one night when I did: note the low (inadequate) pressures and low (inadequate) EPR. Note that this was even wearing a SCC (neck collar). Even partial PAP therapy can reduce our apneas, both the number of events, duration of events and clustering of events.

My conclusion is that, for me, repeated episodes of sleep apneas, of long or moderate duration, one after the other would be needed to induce low pO2 and indeed that is what my sleep study showed. 

Hence chin tucking and clusters of apneas, as often described in this forum, are to be avoided.

[attachment=28658]
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that a pulse oximeter to be fairly accurate to determine if you have OSA. It is not perfect, but it is fairly good.
A link to a study looking at the issue: (there are a lot more)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3927434/
Post Reply Post Reply
No it does not. I use O2 24/7. My O2 level is low when my apnea is controlled. There are to many things OTHER than sleep apnea that could cause it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the great post SevereApnea. informative about a subject I know nothing about.
Post Reply Post Reply
SevereApnea,
Great post.  Hope you are on the road to recovery.  Best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2020, 12:02 PM)Mogy Wrote: I believe that a pulse oximeter to be fairly accurate to determine if you have OSA. It is not perfect, but it is fairly good.
A link to a study looking at the issue: (there are a lot more)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3927434/

I should have added that knowledge concerning interpretation is quite important. You need some experience with the output to make good judgements.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sheepless and Shadowpup, yes I believe I am, thanks to this forum!

Mogy, thanks for the reference.

Briefly reading the article, my observations are:

1. this is proprietary software combining oxygen desaturation with other data (I presume similar to what you get in smart watches) and not on O2 levels alone. 
2. They somehow compute/predict AHI from this...
3. ... based on selected desaturation levels of 3% or 4% which yield different statistical results.
4. Pre-test bias because this is already a cohort who are suspected of RSD.

Implications for screening?
Implications for marketing?
Implications for business opportunities in the Covid-19 area and stretched health resources?
I leave you to decide.

Take home message: their predicted AHI are not based on Oxygen desaturation alone, which answers the original question in the first post.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Renting / Testing Out CPAP Machine? sowo123 4 642 10-15-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question The form associated with sleep apena testing dlnewhouse 1 445 08-31-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Testing - Skewed Results? Doogmeister 9 1,259 06-14-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Doogmeister
  [Equipment] CPAP circuit board testing with voltmeter? MAchine died and 4 month wait to be seen! agunslinger 2 682 04-16-2022, 12:13 PM
Last Post: agunslinger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.