Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea while awake, not while asleep?
Apnea while awake, not while asleep?
Last night I was awake for an entire 85 minute session (largely due to my wife's fitfulness). During that session I had 24 events (18 CA, 4 H, 2 OA, for AHI of 16.7) according to my machine (ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset). At times I was intentionally trying to modulate my breathing, but most times just relaxing, and I was not aware of any apnea events. By contrast, during the six and a half hours I was sleeping, I had a total of 9 events (8 CA, 1 H for AHI of 1.4). My mean SpO2 for the night was 94 (including one hour sleep time not on PAP). During the CA events my SpO2 did drop, but hardly ever lower than 90. Does this session fall into the category of SWJ, even though I was completely awake? Could the machine be misinterpreting my naturally shallow breathing as events? The mild SpO2 drops were real. I have had similar experiences on other nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea while awake, not while asleep?
CPAP machines are designed to treat *sleep* apnea, which is predicated on the assumption that you are asleep. But the machine cannot really tell if you are asleep or not, so it just assumes that you are. That's why it recognizes your modulated breathing as CAs.

Actually the auto ramp mode on the ResMed Autoset does attempt to figure out when you fall asleep, and I find it's helpful from stopping it going crazy when I do meditation breathing after getting into bed. You might want to try it too.

However that's only while you are falling asleep. Once the machine has decided that you've fallen asleep then if you wake up it will not recognize that unless you press the stop button, in which case when you restart the whole thing starts all over again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea while awake, not while asleep?
Thanks, I have used the ramp setting but turned it off. Per your suggestion, I might play with it a bit now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 243 04-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,206 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 94 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 158 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 10 378 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: DKane
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 122 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 792 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.