Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea while awake?
Apnea while awake?
I've been at this a month. Chief complaint prior to start apap was daytime fatigue, many night wakings, and middle insomnia (wide awake from 2-4, for instance).
I've looked at Sleepyhead the last few days and it looks like I'm having apneas when I am awake (lying still). What do you think of this? Is there a name for that? Is there a chart in Sleepyhead that would best show when I was awake, rather than asleep?
Is Sleepyhead in Standard Time rather than Daylight Savings?
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea while awake?
Ignore any "apnea" reported by the CPAP machine during the time when you're awake.

When you're asleep, your breathing is more regular unless you have some sort of problem. The CPAP machine makes its decisions based on normal sleep breathing. Normal "wake" breathing is affected by your thought processes and activities.

Some people do have harmful breathing patterns when awake. They don't call this "apnea" and the diagnosis and treatment is different.

Unless you're stopping breathing for 30 seconds or so, or you're seeing something really bad, or are out of breath, don't worry about it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Elizabeth, welcome to the forum.

Sleepyhead doesn't know if you're awake or asleep, neither does your S9. You need an EEG or similar for that purpose to directly measure your brain waves. I think it's pretty common for a machine to record apneas and (especially) hypopneas while you're still awake or transitioning in and out of sleep. If you're just lying there quietly, there will be times when your breathing slows right down or becomes very shallow - I think it's normal and nothing to be worried about. But the machine might record those occasions as events.

As for the time, SH just takes that direct from your machine (for Resmeds - Philips are a bit different). So if your machine is set for daylight savings, your SH outputs will reflect that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I simply count as false anything my machine flags during a period I am certain im awake. Actually after enough days of looking at wave forms I can pretty much tell when I fell asleep after going to bed and when I woke up. Looks totally different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2014, 11:41 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I simply count as false anything my machine flags during a period I am certain im awake. Actually after enough days of looking at wave forms I can pretty much tell when I fell asleep after going to bed and when I woke up. Looks totally different.
I noticed that too. When I'm awake, the pressure curve is very flat unlike the sharp peaks and valleys when I'm asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] High pressure at midnight causing awake makazaik 5 667 08-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 521 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Treatment] Low AHI/RDI with CPAP but still jolting awake every night boogiemoogie 0 487 08-09-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: boogiemoogie
Question [CPAP] Are AHI levels artificially lowered if you run CPAP while awake? sleepydragon 0 499 04-04-2023, 03:15 PM
Last Post: sleepydragon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.