Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apneas into hiponeas and pressure pulse
Apneas into hiponeas and pressure pulse
Hi everyone,

Hope you slept well.

When i have a good night with really few OAs and CAs it seems to increase my numbers of HI. The breathing of a lot of Hi(well apneas too) seem to restart rigth after the pressure pulse.

Is it the fonction of the pressure pulse? OR is it just to detect the sort of apnea?

Is my understanding correct that some of the HI that would have been apneas?

Do HI affect sleep? Since they are really mild in lenght and often the flow just slow dows i'm under the impressure they dont disrupt sleep and have little to no impact on sleep quality. Is my assertion rigth?

Thank you,

Ghandi

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apneas into hiponeas and pressure pulse
Pressure pulse is your machine's method of discriminating between an obstructive and clear airway apnea. It's akin to the FOT method used by ResMed.

Hi's are often the precursor to OA's. Auto machines respond to them to prevent OA's.
IMO: They are not a significant disturbance to sleep quality.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine isnt auto. So i can just speculate those HI's were wanna be apneas.
It surely looks like it.

That's a really good news. I'd trade an apnea for an hypopnea anytime Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

"In the context of diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders, a hypopnea event is not considered to be clinically significant unless there is a 30% (or greater) reduction in flow lasting for 10 seconds or longer and an associated 4% (or greater) desaturation in the person's O2 levels, or if it results in arousal or fragmentation of sleep."
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks That's precisly what i was looking for Smile

I think having an oxymeter is going to be necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it shows that you have your pressure set at the minimum amount necessary to prevent OA events. You might want to bump it up just a tad since 7 cm W.C. is relatively low and you wouldn't notice the difference in comfort or leakage if you go to 7.4 or 7.6 and it might pay off by giving you some margin to cover a night when your conditions may warrant a little more pressure.

You can consider yourself fortunate in being able to control your problem with such a low setting since it makes mask leakage quite easy to manage and that makes your nose and face take less of a beating from the mask. In contrast, I have to maintain a pressure of 17.9 and my mask must be set quite snugly to stop the leaks. I don't recognize myself in the mirror when I first remove the mask. Ohwell

I just traded my ResMed S9 Elite in for a S9 AutoSet but I have found that I still can't install my mask any softer since it will wake me up when the machine bumps the pressure up to the 17 + range in the middle of the night.

Sleep-well

ps. Feel free to ignore all of the above since you don't really have a problem and I can't help but think of the old rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 09:50 AM)Ghandi Wrote: I think having an oxymeter is going to be necessary.

I picked up a CMS50F oximeter. I only wear it occasionally.
Price is reasonable; and it gives reassurance that one is not badly desating.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 08:43 AM)Ghandi Wrote: That's a really good news. I'd trade an apnea for an hypopnea anytime Smile

(08-19-2014, 10:00 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: I have found that I still can't install my mask any softer since it will wake me up when the machine bumps the pressure up to the 17 + range in the middle of the night.

I pretty much agree Ghandi, however two things remain true for you:
First, you need to get that pressure up to eliminate the possibility of those long drawn out OA's you get. But it's great to hear you had a good night last night. So whatever you did, do it again.

Secondly, once the OA's and CA's are taken care of further elimination of the Hypops is useful for better sleep.

Surfie, I think if you will squeeze the range between your min pressure and your max pressure you'll get over that goofy leak situation. Then maybe you'll be able to loosen your mask a little bit and return to that suave, sophisticated looking guy you once were. ............Nah, probably not gonna happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 10:54 AM)retired_guy Wrote: ...Then maybe you'll be able to loosen your mask a little bit and return to that suave, sophisticated looking guy you once were. ............Nah, probably not gonna happen.

Ah, yes, daybreak in the Willamette Valley brings out der Rentner.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 11:10 AM)justMongo Wrote: Ah, yes, daybreak in the Willamette Valley brings out der Rentner.

What? Where???? I didn't see anything....... Do they bite?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,206 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 846 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 300 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,758 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 200 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 669 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.