Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apneas or Cheyne-Stokes Respirations?
RE: Apneas or Cheyne-Stokes Respirations?
In addition to what Fred suggested, as your minimum pressure drops, you can probably reduce pressure support slightly and get even bigger benefits for CA events, while maintaining comfort. Try reducing PS to 2.4 or 2.6 and see if that helps to stabilize your breathing as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I set my machine at 6.0/6.0 last night.  

AHI was 4.9, with most of the events recorded as hypopneas.  Only .6 apneas per hour.  

However, I'm still seeing a lot of periodic breathing, just without the apneas in between.

Here's a sample that is indicative of the periodic breathing that seems to occur on and off throughout the night.  Any thoughts?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11129]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
my layman's understanding is that periodic breathing is quite symmetrical w incremental increases in volume followed by incremental decreases so the whole pattern is rounded. these don't look that way, having spikey bookends instead. did your sleep study report periodic limb movements?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2019, 07:59 PM)sheepless Wrote: my layman's understanding is that periodic breathing is quite symmetrical w incremental increases in volume followed by incremental decreases so the whole pattern is rounded.  these don't look that way, having spikey bookends instead.  did your sleep study report periodic limb movements?

You described CSR, 1 form of periodic breathing.  This is Periodic breathing, but cause??? I don't know.

How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
obviously I don't know either. periodicity is a feature of periodic limb movement and this pattern looks enough like what I think plm looks like in my flow to ask about / suggest a possible cause that might not otherwise be thought of.
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither of my sleep studies noted periodic limb movements.  I have my own camera system and I've reviewed video of me sleeping over a several day period.  I don't believe that I have PLM.

I didn't sleep as well last night as I usually do, but I attribute that to switching off the 3.0 Pressure Support.  I'll probably sleep better, and deeper tonight, and I expect a corresponding increase in my AHI... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
glad you can rule that out then. sleeping deeper and better is the goal, even with a corresponding increase in ahi, depending on - as bonjour asked - how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
what jaswilliams said in post #17. asv is said to be the answer to central apnea / hypopnea and periodic breathing. I don't know anything about the vauto and FOT but I do use asv and while asv pressure support swings pretty wildly, I don't notice it or any pulses.
Post Reply Post Reply
FOT pulses are designed to detect central apneas so that your provider can then prescribe an ASV or a Timed machine.

ASV Machines and Timed machines don't attempt to detect central apneas.  They are designed instead to treat them.  As a result, ASV and timed machines don't sent pressure pulses/FOT in response to apneas.  ASV machines respond by increasing pressure immediately, within the defined limits of the setup.  T machines do the same on a timed basis with a fixed amount of pressure support.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2019, 03:55 PM)Reznik Wrote: FOT pulses are designed to detect central apneas so that your provider can then prescribe an ASV or a Timed machine.

thanks for the explanation.  I was thinking that you were looking for a solution but you obviously already know something about this stuff and that asv might handle ca and pb better.  maybe just curious about the flow pattern for now?  I'll be following along hoping to hear if/when you figure out what it is, if eventually you determine asv evens it out and what to do about it in the meantime. 

Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 303 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 243 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,282 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.