Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnimed - New OSA medication?
Apnimed - New OSA medication?
Hey Everybody,  Very long time lurker here - this forum has taught me a lot about treating my OSA but I still struggle.  I happened to see this about a new medication and I was wondering if anybody here had been part of the trials or knows anything more than the boilerplate on the website.  Google provides little information and I don't believe it has been discussed on the forum lately.  They claim a 75% reduction is AHI - Sounds promising.

Thanks again for information over the years!

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. June 28, 2022 – Apnimed, a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on developing oral pharmacologic treatments to address obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and related disorders, announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted Fast Track designation for its oral pharmacologic AD109 for the treatment of OSA. 
“Fast Track designation is a significant milestone in the development of AD109 and provides an accelerated regulatory pathway that recognizes the urgent need for new pharmacologic treatments for OSA that are easier for people to tolerate,” said Larry Miller, M.D., Chief Executive Officer of Apnimed. “Currently the vast majority of more than 35 million Americans who have OSA remain untreated despite the potential for serious health risks associated with the condition, including cardiovascular disease and diabetes. We will continue to work closely with the FDA to support the development and review of AD109 beginning with the trial design for our Phase 3 program, which we anticipate initiating at the end of 2022.” 
FDA’s Fast Track designation is intended to facilitate the development and expedite the review of new drugs to treat serious conditions and that fill an unmet medical need. The benefits of Fast Track designation include opportunities for frequent meetings with the FDA to discuss development plans, trial design, and data needed to support drug approval, as well as the ability to submit a New Drug Application (NDA) on a rolling basis, and eligibility for priority review, if relevant criteria are met.

About AD109

Apnimed’s AD109 has the potential to be the first oral pharmacologic that treats OSA airway obstruction at night. It is a first-in-class, novel, investigational combination dosed once daily at bedtime and is designed to treat OSA patients across a broad spectrum of disease severity. AD109 combines a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (atomoxetine) with Apnimed’s new chemical entity and selective antimuscarinic (aroxybutynin). AD109 targets key neurological pathways in OSA that cause upper airway obstruction during sleep by activating the upper airway dilator muscles and maintaining an open airway during sleep. This drug combination has the potential to become a safe, effective, and convenient treatment for OSA, addressing some of the key limitations of the current device and surgical approaches that are the standard of care treatments. AD109 is currently completing Phase 2 clinical trials, after which Apnimed plans to meet with FDA to discuss the Phase 3 development program.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnimed - New OSA medication?
It probably still at least a couple of years away - if it passes Phase 3 trials
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 258 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,482 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Medication affects on OSCAR data coldfeet7 1 497 03-20-2022, 10:50 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7
  CPAP medication Big Guy 4 952 01-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Medication, a cautionary tale tinyobject 4 1,024 09-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  APAP / Medication etc Davidacarrick 1 789 07-15-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.