Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apparent Hyperventilation
RE: Apparent Hyperventilation
(06-07-2017, 09:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: I do not believe you are hyperventilating (high BPM).  The BPM count is being doubled and tripled.  We need to figure out what is causing that ragged flow rate.  Every zero crossing (minus to plus) in the flow is counted as a breath.  The count is an artifact of that; and is not real.  Your true rate is in the teens.

So there's some kind of period-doubling going on there? Or is it more like higher harmonics?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2017, 12:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 09:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: I do not believe you are hyperventilating (high BPM).  The BPM count is being doubled and tripled.  We need to figure out what is causing that ragged flow rate.  Every zero crossing (minus to plus) in the flow is counted as a breath.  The count is an artifact of that; and is not real.  Your true rate is in the teens.

So there's some kind of period-doubling going on there? Or is it more like higher harmonics?

I think what is recorded shows real physiological effect and potential impact.  The respirations are not brain induced, though. The machine really did change the pressure in the mask, and the patient really did get extra air in and air out.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The BPM count is an artifact of a wiggle in the expiratory waveform. Every minus to plus zero crossing in flow triggers IPAP and is counted as a breath.
I've seen it in my own machine. I changed the trigger to prevent double triggering on my VPAP. PaytonA has seen similar false triggering.

At EPAP, the OP seems to have some obstruction that is vibratory in nature. I suspect it is snoring; but have not seen the snore graph.

A little more EPAP would likely "fix" the problem. I suggested lowering EPR, which I can see is set to 3 from the pressure graphs. Setting it to 2 might do it; or raising min pressure.

No one could sustain a hyperventilation rate of nearly 40 BPM. The shift to lower pH would cause vasoconstriction and they would pass out.
The real rate, when looking at the BPM graph is the lower extend of the BPM graph -- around 16 to 18 BPM.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
@JAR14 perhaps you could show us the whole night with 2 new traces - (1) snoring and (2) minute ventilation.

you are hearing reduce EPR from nearly everyone. can you do a test on that?

good luck with sorting this out.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has RLS been eliminated as a possibility? This looks a lot like what we see from physical movement that affects the respiratory smoothness, and the machine counts each deflection as a breath change. RLS would explain the tiredness as well. Do you have a spouse or bed-partner that can verify you are sleeping quietly?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
                        [attachment=3594]
[attachment=3599 Wrote:quiescence at last pid='209443' dateline='1496943542'][attachment=3598][attachment=3597][attachment=3596][attachment=3595][attachment=3594]
(06-08-2017, 12:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

I think what is recorded shows real physiological effect and potential impact.  The respirations are not brain induced, though.  The machine really did change the pressure in the mask, and the patient really did get extra air in and air out.

Based on suggestions of board members, I have captured expanded portions of the SleepyHead charts for flow rate and mask pressure.  The time of capture is during "apparent" high respiration rates recorded on the charts. The waveforms are indeed ragged, and may be responsible for the doubling or tripling of actual respiration rate. AHI for the night was "0".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wink May the ZZZZs be with you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2017, 02:00 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Has RLS been eliminated as a possibility?  This looks a lot like what we see from physical movement that affects the respiratory smoothness, and the machine counts each deflection as a breath change.   RLS would explain the tiredness as well.  Do you have a spouse or bed-partner that can verify you are sleeping quietly?
Spouse reports that there is little leg movement during the night.  I have spent over a year teaching myself to sleep exclusively on my stomach, as supine position produces obstructive apneas. Sleeping on my stomach has dropped the AHI to less than 0.76 average for the past year.

Just posted a bunch of traces on this thread.

Will try reducing the EPR from 3 to 2 then to 1.  Also looking at raising the minimum pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mongo!  Your specific insights are very helpful, as the ragged shape of the flow rate waveform indicates that this may be the source of the doubling or tripling of the actual respiration rate.  I will lower the EPR sequentially and look for changes in the "apparent" respiration rate and shapes of the flow rate waveforms.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apparent worsening of symptoms during minor illness TryingToGetItRight 0 255 09-18-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  Hyperventilation only while using CPAP sarge21 7 3,505 08-05-2023, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [Pressure] ASV/ hyperventilation/ UARS Larala 1 742 07-07-2022, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Symptoms] Very Tired, suddenly having many clear airway issues with no apparent physical cause. GregMischler 5 944 08-13-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Hyperventilation? Geer1 7 1,565 01-28-2020, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Geer1
Question [CPAP] CA's became more apparent after moving to Autoset olemarc 5 1,353 03-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question Resmed A10 Pressure runup without apparent cause Ed1101 12 2,853 04-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Ed1101

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.