Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apparently a popular supplier uses Ozone & UV-C light to clean their used machines
Apparently a popular supplier uses Ozone & UV-C light to clean their used machines
Hi everyone. I was reading the FAQ on Supplier #2's website and it says:

Quote:"By the time we are finished cleaning the used cpap or used bipap machines we offer, they are as clean as if they just left the manufacturer. The inside of the machines are cleaned with a combination of Ozone, and UV-C light; The same sterilizing techniques used for surgical equipment, and in dentist offices around the country. Externally, we clean the devices with a biodegradable solution that is used in hospitals across the country to provide a completely sanitized surface. We pride ourselves on providing a clean, quality used cpap/bipap machine."

I have read elsewhere on Apnea Board that ozone & UV light should not be used for cleaning machines. Does this mean people should not buy used machines from Supplier #2?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apparently a popular supplier uses Ozone & UV-C light to clean their used machines
There used machines and they should be cleaned. I would think those methods used once would be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apparently a popular supplier uses Ozone & UV-C light to clean their used machines
It is repeated use causes a problem. Hv light does not hurt the machine it can damage masks and tubes with repeated use.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Ontario has 74 School Boards. I work for one of them. We have 150,000 students and staff to teach and serve them. We've installed many UV filters. Many, many of them. I wish I had thought it through and bought stocks in the UV light manufacturers....opportunity lost.

Point is I bet that many are using it as a cheap method of fixing contamination problems.

Glad I didn't buy a Respironics machine a year ago.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Surgical sterilization that is equipment safe (generally) is vaporous Hydrogen Peroxide. Blowing ozone down the tubes and innards of equipment seems a bit barbaric. And how do you get a UV lamps down inside something?

That said - I always wondered how those CPAP cleaning machines worked. I suspect simple ozone. But haven't read the any factual method is use.
Post Reply Post Reply
UV-A/B/C does not produce ozone. UV-V does.  UV-V tubes are commonly used as an ozone generator for hot-tubs.

As for using Ozone. I've used it for decades for various applications.
Brian

"I drank WHAT?" - Socrates
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 168 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,494 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,525 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 448 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.