Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Appreciate some help profiling these CA events
RE: Appreciate some help profiling these CA events
He prescribed an EPR setting? A question to ask on your followup would be why?

I thought again about your graphs. You have a remarkably narrow range of pressures that you seem to need, at least based on that one night's data. Again, if it were me, I would give serious thought to simply raising the minimum pressure setting to 8. It's more than you typically need, but just barely so, and will guarantee that you are always at a pressure that curtails your apneas.

As for your doctor, what do you think he would prefer: blind obedience to his recommendation (that was based on one night's data in a foreign environment), or participation in their treatment by a patient based on multiple night's data from their home environment and well reasoned analysis? You could even call him, explain the situation, and get his concurrence.
Post Reply Post Reply
Curiosity got the better of me and I went ahead and turned my EPR setting to 0 last night. It noticeably affected me while I was trying to fall asleep, and will need to get acclimated to breathing without EPR. It's not that I felt a pressure difference (my starting pressure is the minimum anyway), but I had some synchronization issues as I feel like the machine somehow induces me to inhale when it wants me to, as opposed to when I want to. It's almost like it wants my breathing to be perfectly periodic, on a set frequency. To test it, I half-heartedly tried to pause my breathing after an exhalation and found it really difficult to do so. I don't know what that has to do with EPR, but it's unsettling. I did notice significant tossing/turning in bed last night and not as many pressure increases in the data. There were only two "humps" in the pressure graph, spaced very far apart. I usually have 5 or 6.

Interesting results: the flow graph showed far fewer flow limitations and there were no hypopneas or apnea events recorded. None. AHI was 0.0. Blink

Too good to be true? I'm going to try again tonight... see if anything changes in the data.

The pressure graph peaked at 10.0 at one point. Mind you, I was titrated at 5 in the lab Rolleyes If I had a straight CPAP machine and didn't know anything about checking my data or changing settings, I presume I would be receiving insufficient pressure at many times throughout the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2013, 11:32 AM)Paptillian Wrote: The pressure graph peaked at 10.0 at one point. Mind you, I was titrated at 5 in the lab Rolleyes

Yeah, right. Based on one night's worth of sleep in a strange place on a strange bed all hooked up to wires, and people wonder why their home sleep isn't satisfied by their titrated pressure.

I was titrated at 13. I've recently been playing with the Auto-trial mode of my CPAP, and it typically takes my pressure to a 95% value of around 17. I foresee a permanent adjustment to my treatment pressure in the near future.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's just your brain adjusting to the fact that it doesn't have to keep waking you up to breathe anymore.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 178 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 772 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.