Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apria - Charging me separate for CPAP Humidifier on the Resmed A10
RE: Apria - Charging me separate for CPAP Humidifier on the Resmed A10
(02-16-2015, 01:12 PM)heyheyrayray Wrote: Lincare just did the same thing to me. I don't see how they can charge you for a humidifier for the A10 when it doesn't exist outside of the actual machine! You can't get on an online DME and search for A10 humidifier because it doesn't exist. I think its criminal. I put in a complaint to the Ohio Attorney General about this. They are doing an investigation.

I agree it all criminal for sure, It's all about what the insurance companies will pay for it, example - insurance will pay up to lets say $1100 for a machine you can buy your self for $850.00. you'll see the insurance is billed for $1100... what a racquet. It's no wonder we all have high insurance rates...
Makes me sick they charge for a humidifier tank $250.00 , the tanks a $35.00 deal Huh
Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Out of curiosity, Did anyone having problems with a DME and the AS10 humidifier charges tell them that it was too expensive and just come get it?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you return the humidifier tub to them (preferably in person, if not, if you must mail, be sure to add insurance to it, package it well, and require proof of delivery signature) tell them to take it off your bill, and then use your script to order one online? They are a fraction of that cost bought on your own, at least last I checked. I may be wrong, I am a newbie.

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 12:01 PM)drtoy Wrote: I started CPAP treatment in Sept and it's been working great. Using the new Resmed Airsense 10 and getting AHI's under 1. I'm feeling great. That is, until I received the bills for the accessories (tubing, mask, etc). The prices are highly inflated which I was expecting, but I was not expecting a separate charge for a CPAP Humidifier for $260 because the humidifier is built into the A10. I just spoke to customer service and we went around in circles about billing codes. Anyone else have this experience trying to go through insurance for you A10? Trying to figure out if it's a fight worth fighting. I'm on a high deductible Cigna plan so this is going to all come out of pocket.

Hi drtoy,
I don't have an AirSense 10, but I've gone round and round with my insurance and DME concerning various charges. The insurance companies require DME's to use separate codes for everything. Since your machine's humidifier is built in, then the DME is justified to charge as if it is a separate unit. Insurance actually allows it.
Just another example... When I picked up a nasal pillow mask at the DME, I was amazed to see how they broke up the mask parts for billing purposes, although the mask was one piece sealed in a bag. The headgear was billed at $95.00. The main part of the mask with short hose was billed at $65.00. The nasal pillows were billed at $60.00. Now this is a ResMed P10 mask, which I could of bought online for $99.00 total! (Half the cost)
Now if you have a high deductible or copay, it may be cheaper to buy outright online. I questioned my insurance as to why they are willing to reimburse for these overcharges, compared to an online supplier which is much lower. Their only answer was that online suppliers aren't in the network.
Crazy
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I'm correct, from what I've read, you CANT take the humidifier out. There's the water chamber, but that's not the same thing. a humidifier for the AS10 does not exist alone, you can't buy it anywhere, it's just built in.

(02-16-2015, 05:40 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: Could you return the humidifier tub to them (preferably in person, if not, if you must mail, be sure to add insurance to it, package it well, and require proof of delivery signature) tell them to take it off your bill, and then use your script to order one online? They are a fraction of that cost bought on your own, at least last I checked. I may be wrong, I am a newbie.

The Manse Hen

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2015, 08:49 AM)heyheyrayray Wrote: If I'm correct, from what I've read, you CANT take the humidifier out. There's the water chamber, but that's not the same thing. a humidifier for the AS10 does not exist alone, you can't buy it anywhere, it's just built in.

(02-16-2015, 05:40 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: Could you return the humidifier tub to them (preferably in person, if not, if you must mail, be sure to add insurance to it, package it well, and require proof of delivery signature) tell them to take it off your bill, and then use your script to order one online? They are a fraction of that cost bought on your own, at least last I checked. I may be wrong, I am a newbie.

The Manse Hen
You are correct you can not remove the humidifier , you can buy a plug for it if your not using your water tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2015, 07:04 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Just another example... When I picked up a nasal pillow mask at the DME, I was amazed to see how they broke up the mask parts for billing purposes, although the mask was one piece sealed in a bag. The headgear was billed at $95.00. The main part of the mask with short hose was billed at $65.00. The nasal pillows were billed at $60.00. Now this is a ResMed P10 mask, which I could of bought online for $99.00 total! (Half the cost)
Crazy

Greetings OpalRose,
Do you remember what the insurance company allowed for those items and what they paid?
Post Reply Post Reply

The Manse Hen

I suppose you can return the humidifier tub to them (you will probably have a hard time getting your money back if they are at all like Apria). They are still going to charge you for the humidifier as they did provide you with one.

In the future, order from the suppliers on the forum supplier list for your supplies IF that will go toward your insurance deductible. I don't know what your insurance premium is, but, you are paying to the insurance company that will probably never pay out a dime on your behalf unless you go into the hospital and are there for a few days. Can you look into a different policy especially since you are a single parent? They have been proven to be reputable or they wouldn't remain on the supplier list. sorry for all your problems with lincare. This is why I had apria pick up my machine and went somewhere else to get it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2015, 01:12 PM)heyheyrayray Wrote: Lincare just did the same thing to me. I don't see how they can charge you for a humidifier for the A10 when it doesn't exist outside of the actual machine! You can't get on an online DME and search for A10 humidifier because it doesn't exist. I think its criminal. I put in a complaint to the Ohio Attorney General about this. They are doing an investigation.

This is the appropriate response to this kind of behavior. It's consumer fraud and insurance fraud. Most people are intimidated and overwhelmed by the health care billing system and won't question it.

Personally, I think everybody should be shopping around for a local mom & pop DME that takes your insurance and avoiding the big chains.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed. Apparently when i filed a Complaint with the Ohio Attorney General Lincare decided they should do the right thing and issued me a refund today!

(02-18-2015, 11:58 AM)GeoffD Wrote:

This is the appropriate response to this kind of behavior. It's consumer fraud and insurance fraud. Most people are intimidated and overwhelmed by the health care billing system and won't question it.

Personally, I think everybody should be shopping around for a local mom & pop DME that takes your insurance and avoiding the big chains.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 92 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
Question Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus and Co-Pilot 24: Any owners having charging issues? DaveY 11 5,468 04-13-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,290 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 214 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 889 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.