Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apria Healthcare Customer Service NOT GOOD
Sad 
Apria Healthcare Customer Service NOT GOOD
It is crazy to me that Apria Healthcare has such poor online reviews and continues to be in business.  But, now I understand why they have poor reviews, and I am not sure they care.  I have been on CPAP for 7 weeks and wanted to review my therapy thus far with a respiratory therapist.  I left my name and number with someone on Monday morning, again on Wednesday morning, and today (Thursday) - still nothing.  I even called an Apria in another town and told them my desire to speak with an RT.  And, I haven't heard back from anyone from that branch either.

I wasn't given a choice of DMEs, but I can tell you that if it were up to me, I would stay clear of them.  

Is this typical in the CPAP world?  I guess I should post my questions on this forum, where people respond with what seems to be great guidance and advice.

Just venting.  You would think someone at Apria would make some changes to correct their pitiful reviews.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apria Healthcare Customer Service NOT GOOD
As long as Apria is in-network with insurance or Medicare, YOU are not the customer they are concerned with. They get paid based on being the lowest bidder. Most insurance plans have a list of in-network providers. Choose carefully.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed with Sleeprider. I had Apria as my DME for a few years, but due to my unique therapy needs, I decided to change to another national DME, Lincare. It has to be in-network.

Both of these get typically poor grades, but for me these are OK on a local scale. And there is the fact that I don't let them play games. I keep bugging with calls until they act. My current RT is pretty sharp and said I probably know more about my treatment than the doctor.

But rest assured, your experience is more typical than mine. And yes it does come down to who the customer is. DME or us? The DME of course.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my 20+ years on pap I have NEVER talked rep therapist they will not talk to you - they may contact the DR. BUT MORE likely the Dr will contact them after your visit and give them the prescription for pressures. The therapist won’t talk to the patient unless the Dr tells them to.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a friend who swears by this Apria trick ... He calls to place an order, then asks the sales rep to connect him to an RT so he can ask a question. They will take his number and call him back. You might give it a try.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2021, 04:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: As long as Apria is in-network with insurance or Medicare, YOU are not the customer they are concerned with. They get paid based on being the lowest bidder. Most insurance plans have a list of in-network providers. Choose carefully.

I didn't have a choice of DME.  It was who the sleep lab / doctor sent me to.  I suppose that as long as I am renting my CPAP machine from them, I am stuck.  I will have to rely on the fine members of this board to help answer my questions.  Thanks for the response.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2021, 05:09 PM)staceyburke Wrote: In my 20+ years on pap I have NEVER talked rep therapist they will not talk to you - they may contact the DR. BUT MORE likely the Dr will contact them after your visit and give them the prescription for pressures. The therapist won’t talk to the patient unless the Dr tells them to.

Well, I must be fortunate.  I was able to speak with the RT at the local Apria a handful of times.  He was very good and sent me several masks to try.

Then, this week, it all changed.  It has been 4 full days since I left my first message.  I texted the GM this location, who gave me his cell when I first started with CPAP in July.  I sent him a polite message asking if I was no longer "eligible" for RT support - so that I would understand their policy.  He replied that he would have the RT call me.  That was a few hours ago.  Let's see if I actually get a call.

Thank you all for the responses and advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is what I said — the Rt will only call if the Dr tells them to do so.  It does no good trying to get them to talk to you they only do so under Dr direction.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
If the doctor didn't ask you who to send the script, there is the most of the fault. Myself, I knew who I wanted as DME before the script was written. I had checked insurance in-network info, had researched who I wanted. It's your choice to make, and if they're presenting it as no choice or only one or that it's their choice, uh huh no. It's your choice to make.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, it is your choice. Like many, you didn't know and your med team didn't tell.
A Question is why do they "use" this DME? There are good answers and bad answers. Bad answers include $$$ incentives such as fee or ownership.

Good answers, they work well with patients and follow thru on issues, follow up on patients and work on optimizing patients therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 184 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 137 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 784 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 372 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 131 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 205 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 229 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.