Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apria is annoying me, but don't know how to switch
Apria is annoying me, but don't know how to switch
Apria seems to randomly switch my schedule to receive supplies and keeps losing my credit card on file, while makes me have a balance due - that some dude in India calls me about when I've already scheduled the payment. I've been using my machine for 17 months now and it has made a world of difference. When I first got sent to Apria, I was told that Aetna (my insurer) will not buy a machine, only rent. That I'd pay a monthly fee for a year and then go into maintenance - which was basically supposed to be just pay for the mask/pillows, etc.

Except then I found out yesterday that I actually have to pay a rental fee every 6 months. Now, that $58 every six months isn't going to kill me - it's the principle of the lack of communication and random charges appearing.

I've already had to pay $649 for this machine over the last year (S10 Airsense Autoset for Her) so I'm not even sure that cutting my losses and just buying a used machine is the smart thing to do.

I need to change my doctor too, because the one I currently see only sees me for 3 minutes after making we wait for 1.25 hours. And he doesn't seem to even look at my data (I look at it in SH every week).

Has anyone done this sort of overhaul? How do I switch suppliers? Find another one on Aetna's list and call them? Send the machine back to Apria with a giant "F You" note attached (downside being that I won't have a machine for a few days or weeks)? Are others just as bad as Apria and I should learn to just get used to this constant, every changing fee schedule? If I buy a machine from Supplier #2, will insurance no longer pay for the mask/filters, etc?

I know I haven't been here in a while... everything has been going so smoothly. I just don't know how feasible it is to just cut my ties with my doctor and Apria at the same time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apria is annoying me, but don't know how to switch
You need to call your insurance to see exactly what they have paid. If they have been paying rental, I would think that 17 months later you should own this machine.

Most companies pay 13 months rental, after which the machine is yours.

Don't depend on Apria to find out this information for you. Call your insurance company!
And the rental fee every 6 months of $58.00 makes no sense. The only thing you should be paying for is supplies. Even your insurance should cover most of that.

You have a right to use whatever DME your insurance contracts with.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For $400ish you could outright buy a brand new, functionally equivalent machine (the PR System ONE) if you choose to go that route. I would first find out if you own the one you got and find out exactly what Apria says you are "renting".

Your medical insurance may have other DMEs in network that can provide supplies. I have been trying to do this for the last few days.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

(07-02-2016, 08:27 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: For $400ish you could outright buy a brand new, functionally equivalent machine (the PR System ONE) if you choose to go that route. I would first find out if you own the one you got and find out exactly what Apria says you are "renting".

Your medical insurance may have other DMEs in network that can provide supplies. I have been trying to do this for the last few days.

OMMOHY

(07-02-2016, 08:14 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You need to call your insurance to see exactly what they have paid. If they have been paying rental, I would think that 17 months later you should own this machine.

Most companies pay 13 months rental, after which the machine is yours.

Don't depend on Apria to find out this information for you. Call your insurance company!
And the rental fee every 6 months of $58.00 makes no sense. The only thing you should be paying for is supplies. Even your insurance should cover most of that.

You have a right to use whatever DME your insurance contracts with.

For some reason, I never thought to call my insurance company. I spent about an hour on the phone with Apria yesterday and they just kept saying "this is what you insurance company contracts for". They had charged $8 to my credit card, but wanted me to pay $58 for the rental... finally managed to get that worked out...but they won't reverse the $58 rental fee. I was trying to read the contract while on the phone with them, but that didn't go well, so I'll go over it today.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently had to switch my DME as they lost their bid with Medicare and could no longer serve me. I contacted my insurance company (Humana) and they sent me a list of DME's "in my area". The list was 5 pages by 2 columns per page with 90% being mail/internet. However, this was a list of ALL DME's most of which do not handle CPAP. After about 50 calls, I finally found a DME who handled CPAP - Apria. I have only received supplies so far (mask) but they screwed that up - sent me the wrong mask. I contacted them and the sent the right mask. However, they tried to charge Humana for both masks and obviously Humana turned it down. They now say I have a ballance due and I have to contact Humana to fix it. Humana says they have paid Apria in full. As above, it's not that much money, but it's the principle.

Would be interested is anyone has a competent DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, read the contract; then call your insurance company.
Apria has been quoted as saying, "You signed it, we can charge you whatever we want."
Just Google "Apria complaints" using whatever wording you choose... You are not the only person they have mistreated (I am being kind -- this is a family show.)

Disconnect from Apria. Lession learned is: Never give them a credit card.

Even if you are with an HMO, your doctor can write a script that you can use to buy out of pocket; using one of the suppliers on the list; and get supplies for only a little more money without the hassles of Apria.

Once you have disconnected from Apria, report that Credit Card lost and get a new card with a new number.

As for the doctor not looking at your data -- it's SOP. Few look at your data.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had Humana insurance I got a new ASV machine $$$$. At the time Humana paid 100% of the rent. As the calandra turned, insurance changed. Now I had a copayment. I called Apria, the only DME my medical group would authorize, a dozen or so times til I got the right person. I discovered I owned the machine after 10 payments. However they planned to charge it fee every 6 months for maintenance. I asked what they would maintain. They said, in case there was a warranty claim they could deal with it. I told them the machine was fine and I would take my chances. Never paid the maintenance fee.
As mentioned above NEVER give CRAPRIA your credit card information. That is like signing a fresh book of blank checks and handing it to a teenage girl.
If you ordered a ham and cheese sandwich from CRAPRIA, it would take at least 5 deliveries and you might still be missing the ham.

To dump your doctor, simply don't schedule your next appointment. To dump Crapria tell them you will call when you need supplies, then don't call. When they call, say not yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 09:12 AM)ttexan Wrote: I recently had to switch my DME as they lost their bid with Medicare and could no longer serve me. I contacted my insurance company (Humana) and they sent me a list of DME's "in my area". The list was 5 pages by 2 columns per page with 90% being mail/internet. However, this was a list of ALL DME's most of which do not handle CPAP. After about 50 calls, I finally found a DME who handled CPAP - Apria. I have only received supplies so far (mask) but they screwed that up - sent me the wrong mask. I contacted them and the sent the right mask. However, they tried to charge Humana for both masks and obviously Humana turned it down. They now say I have a ballance due and I have to contact Humana to fix it. Humana says they have paid Apria in full. As above, it's not that much money, but it's the principle.

Would be interested is anyone has a competent DME.

Oh, yeah, went down that path with them, too... they sent the wrong thing and I was SUPPOSED TO have 30 days to send it back, but they didn't honor that as they tried to charge Aetna for both. I ended up paying it because trying to fight it was raising my blood pressure and they wouldn't give me any more masks until I paid it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 10:07 AM)bwexler Wrote: When I had Humana insurance I got a new ASV machine $$$$. At the time Humana paid 100% of the rent. As the calandra turned, insurance changed. Now I had a copayment. I called Apria, the only DME my medical group would authorize, a dozen or so times til I got the right person. I discovered I owned the machine after 10 payments. However they planned to charge it fee every 6 months for maintenance. I asked what they would maintain. They said, in case there was a warranty claim they could deal with it. I told them the machine was fine and I would take my chances. Never paid the maintenance fee.
As mentioned above NEVER give CRAPRIA your credit card information. That is like signing a fresh book of blank checks and handing it to a teenage girl.
If you ordered a ham and cheese sandwich from CRAPRIA, it would take at least 5 deliveries and you might still be missing the ham.

To dump your doctor, simply don't schedule your next appointment. To dump Crapria tell them you will call when you need supplies, then don't call. When they call, say not yet.

I don't have to give them the machine back? They will still keep charging $58 every 6 months...I guess I can call back next week and just tell them no.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 10:16 AM)kdmorris410 Wrote: I don't have to give them the machine back? They will still keep charging $58 every 6 months...I guess I can call back next week and just tell them no.

That is why you have to report your card stolen to your bank or other issurer. Because it IS stolen. The bank will be more than happy to send you a new card with nice, crisp new numbers on it. Numbers that Apria won't have.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,080 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Apria switched CPAP Elton525 10 529 01-22-2024, 02:32 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 303 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 516 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Apria Healthcare 2PAPs 10 2,284 09-19-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: enigmatic
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 626 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 On-Off Switch Fix Quantum Mechanic 2 4,722 05-22-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: foolio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.