Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apria is annoying me, but don't know how to switch
RE: Apria is annoying me, but don't know how to switch
I first started with Apria. After that, I went online and bought my own. The advantage of a DME is fitting for masks. But once you get one that fits, buy replacements online. As far as CPAPs, a DME is likely to push whatever machine gives them the largest profits.

My insurance deductible is so high, I end up paying cash anyway. Online prices are much lower than a DME on masks, hoses, and machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 10:57 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: My insurance deductible is so high, I end up paying cash anyway. Online prices are much lower than a DME on masks, hoses, and machines.

And you can still claim it against insurance - they just count it toward your deductible - likely out of network, but it DOES count.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
If, however, you claim it against insurance then you have to adhere to the compliance (minimum usage hours) protocols. So better in that circumstance to pay cash if you are worried about compliance.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had Apria and Aetna. Still have Apria but now have a United Healthcare Medicare Advantage Plan. First, when I had Aetna I never paid a dime for machines or supplies. So, from that standpoint, it was pretty good.

If you continue to use Apria, you need to make them work to your requirements. The first thing that I would do is what Mongo suggested. Tell your bank that the Credit card that Apria has the number for is lost and get a new card with a different number. Then never give them a credit card number. I have been told several times since I now have copays that I must give them a credit card number. I just tell them flat no and they backpedal pretty quickly. Make sure you have plenty of time to receive your orders. They may tell you that you need to pay in advance. It can be made to work. You must be very proactive with them.

If all else fails, go directly to their corporate folks. They seem to be more business like and they seem to understand what goes on at some of their remote offices.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 10:58 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(07-02-2016, 10:57 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: My insurance deductible is so high, I end up paying cash anyway. Online prices are much lower than a DME on masks, hoses, and machines.

And you can still claim it against insurance - they just count it toward your deductible - likely out of network, but it DOES count.

OMMOHY

And it's coming out of my HSA.

(07-02-2016, 11:21 AM)sonicboom Wrote: If, however, you claim it against insurance then you have to adhere to the compliance (minimum usage hours) protocols. So better in that circumstance to pay cash if you are worried about compliance.

Not worried about compliance anyway, but my ins. co. has ever required any compliance data from me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a CC on CitiBank. I'm not a fan of CB; but their cards have something unique.
I can go online an pull a "Virtual Account Number." I use VANs for nearly all online purchases.
They have short expiration dates -- like if I pull one today (July 2nd), it would be valid through August.
The VAN can only be used by a single entity. (Like cannot pay AT&T then try to use it to pay another bill.)
Apria could hit the VAN twice or more during its validity period; but, I can shutdown a VAN as soon as they first hit it.
BTW -- I do not use Apria.

Another option is to pay with USPS money orders sent via US Mail.

My final thought on Apria is to never use them.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have Medicare and the Blues. When I turned 65 I quickly learned that the best way to get a new machine was to avoid involving Apria. I realize this approach costs me more out of pocket but it saves my sanity. After the purchase is finalized, I send the paperwork to the Medicare and insurance company and hope for the best. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
JustMongo ... Thanks for the timely comment about APRIA and credit cards.

I just received a letter from Apria asking me to sign another Assignment of Benefits form that incorporates the same language that was contained in the original Authorization of Benefits form that I signed when I picked up the machine. The difference appears to be that they want my credit card information for their file.

Now I will challenge their need for the credit card as I am fully insured with Medicare + AARP supplementary and do not even pay a deductible.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
KSMatthew,

Generally Apria provides the compliance info to insurance companies. When you call them (Apria) do they ask you if you are using your CPAP every night for at least 4 hours? That is their compliance check. I imagine that if you use it consistently they assume that it is doing you some good. Otherwise, why would you keep using it??

I think that these are the types of methods used by Apria to certify compliance.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 06:19 PM)PaytonA Wrote: KSMatthew,

Generally Apria provides the compliance info to insurance companies. When you call them (Apria) do they ask you if you are using your CPAP every night for at least 4 hours? That is their compliance check. I imagine that if you use it consistently they assume that it is doing you some good. Otherwise, why would you keep using it??

I think that these are the types of methods used by Apria to certify compliance.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I got my first CPAP through Apria. Had it about 6-7 years and never was asked for compliance data, never asked to bring it in. I might have had BlueCross/BlueShield at the time but I can't remember. When that started making noises I got my current machine mail-order, cash, and I'm pretty sure I counted it against my high-deductible plan. Again, BCBS and no questions asked. Apria never tried to follow up or sell me a replacement after x years. It's like I fell out of their records. If I remember, Apria charged nearly double the going rate "Hey, insurance is paying for it." I got my next one on sale for about 25% of what Apria charged for a lesser machine. And I'm about to get my third the same way - I'll pay for it out of my HSA account and fill out the form for BCBS to subtract it from my deductible. Why go back to Apria?

By the way, my compliance requirements to keep my FAA license valid are to show annual reports, at >6 hrs/night over 75% of nights over 365 days. Those 90-day at >4 hrs insurance compliance reports won't work. I wish they did, even the cheap machines do that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,073 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Apria switched CPAP Elton525 10 523 01-22-2024, 02:32 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 299 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Apria Healthcare 2PAPs 10 2,283 09-19-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: enigmatic
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 625 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 On-Off Switch Fix Quantum Mechanic 2 4,718 05-22-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: foolio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.