Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Archived SH Discussions [Q&A Thread from Jun-2014 thru Aug 2015]
Information 
Archived SH Discussions [Q&A Thread from Jun-2014 thru Aug 2015]
This thread is an archived Apnea Board thread containing old discussions regarding the free SleepyHead software package for personal computers.

This thread is now closed to new replies.

If you have a question about SleepyHead, please post it in the Software Support Forum and not in the Main Apnea Board Forum.  

If you would like to view an even older SleepyHead thread, click HERE.

This thread originally contained the full text of RobySue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead.  Those posts have been split off into their own thread and you can read it by Clicking HERE.

About SleepyHead:

SleepyHead is an open-source, cross platform, sleep tracking software with a focus on monitoring CPAP treatment.  There are current versions for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

Features:

* Free Cross Platform CPAP Review Software
   *  Fast, Interactive Mouse Controlled Graphs
    * Supports Philips Respironics System One Machines
   *  Supports ResMed S9 CPAP machines
   *  Supports DeVilbiss Intellipap machines
    * Supports Contec CMS50D+/E/F Oximeters, and the ResMed S9 oximeter attachment

Download information:

For information on the current versions or if you would like to download a version of SleepyHead for your computer, please go to this link:

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

RE: SleepyHead Software - Beginner's Guide, Questions, Answers & Discussion
I've cut tcarmen's tip from this thread and I'm reposting it here in order to keep Robysue's "Beginner's Guide" posts in order and so tcarmen's post won't get lost:

tcarmen Wrote:"SleepyHead deleted my data!"

No, it didn't.

SleepyHead has no capability to change or delete anything on your SD Card.

All files are opened in read-only mode (I just verified this by checking the source code).

It's just not going to happen. The program has no capability to write to your SD Card.

No matter what happens/has happened to your data, you can be certain that SleepyHead didn't do it.

Nice design work JediMark!

I posted this because every now and then someone will be concerned about actual or potential data loss from SleepyHead.

Note: It's still possible for you or Windows to delete or corrupt the data on your SD Card, so please flip the "write protect" slider to the "protected" position before inserting the card into your computer.

When the slider is AWAY from the edge of the card contacts (gold "fingers"), your card is protected
When the slider is TOWARDS the edge of the card with the contacts (gold "fingers"), your card can be written to or corrupted, either accidentally or on-purpose.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I have to hand it to RobySue and if anyone else was involved.

I sure wish this thread had been here even just a few months ago as it would have saved everyone a lot of questions I had.
Now i fully understand what all the charts mean so this is a really great addition to the board in my humble opinion.....

Especially great for I am the least observant person one can meet. Unless its right in front of me, I am so busy I miss it all but this one I found just stood out so much i ACTUALLY noticed it :grin:

Thank you. This will be extremely helpful for far more than just I
I almost must add that due to the screenshot photos i saw in this thread, I realized i wanted the same version as shown here and what a difference. Much better.
I am now using the version, I gather they warn you not to use I believe if you use Windows but in my case, I am one of the ones that thinks its sacrilegious to put Windows on your Mac so I haven't any problems for i have a new Samsung laptop for Windows and prefer so far to use Rescan, or ResMed, ( which ever one it is ) on Windows anyhow.

Its just a much better window with everything there....better set up, in my opinion and makes it easier to see
(06-30-2014, 04:51 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I almost must add that due to the screenshot photos i saw in this thread, I realized i wanted the same version as shown here and what a difference. Much better.
I am now using the version, I gather they warn you not to use I believe if you use Windows but in my case, I am one of the ones that thinks its sacrilegious to put Windows on your Mac so I haven't any problems for i have a new Samsung laptop for Windows and prefer so far to use Rescan, or ResMed, ( which ever one it is ) on Windows anyhow.

Its just a much better window with everything there....better set up, in my opinion and makes it easier to see
ResScan on Windows is a good solution for Resmed S9 users. For many people it's just as easy to use, and less likely to have bugs. Others do prefer SleepyHead. My own advice is to download both and play with both. Chances are one or the other will seem easier and more straightforward to use. And then you'll know which one to use Wink

But if you want to run something natively on the Mac without messing around with installing Windows inside of Parallels or BootCamp, then SleepyHead's the only game in town.

And for users of PR machines, SleepyHead runs rings around Encore: In Encore you only get a static version of the last night's Flow Rate data, and it typically runs several pages in a pdf report. And if you don't save the pdf, the Flow Rate graph is gone the next time you download if you're using Encore Basic. Encore is also a huge memory hog and is very slow.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Robysue,
Huge kudos for this work. My education was in physics and computers, so I work in technical fields. Over the years, I have done technical writing and documentation, so I know how difficult it is. Even unfinished, this work is already situated to benefit many people. Jedimark is obviously a talented developer and designer, but not many of those folks are also good at documentation. You obviously are. And it often works better if someone other than the developer does the documentation, as I think is the case here. Obviously, credit goes to Jedimark for what he has done (and continues to do). In this case, your creation has enhanced the value and understanding of his work, and will continue to for a long time.

Anyway, many many thanks for this work. I already have used this document to enhance the way I use Sleepyhead, and I expect more to follow. I know I have to sit down and read this paragraph by paragraph. One can't just skim it for the high spots, the whole thing is a series of high spots.

Regards,

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Robysue,

I'm incredibly impressed! Your documentation writing skills are excellent Smile

Thank you so much for going to all this effort in behalf of SleepyHead users.

I'll go over it soon, once I get the next build ready, and see if I have anything for you to add to this.
I'm impressed as !! with all this information and am curious to begin interpreting my own results. Unfortunately I am seriously computer impaired with all this technology stuff--but am trying to learn. My question is, can Sleepyhead be installed/read from an I-Pad? I have the newest model as of last year, or, should I get the card reader thing and see what I can learn from windows pc?

I thought I might print off these step by step instructions to hold in my hot little hand to refer to as I was going through the steps on the computer.... Any suggestions? Thanks.
(07-07-2014, 01:17 PM)Rosanne Wrote: I'm impressed as !! with all this information and am curious to begin interpreting my own results. Unfortunately I am seriously computer impaired with all this technology stuff--but am trying to learn. My question is, can Sleepyhead be installed/read from an I-Pad? I have the newest model as of last year, or, should I get the card reader thing and see what I can learn from windows pc?
Unfortunately SleepyHead is not available as an I-pad app. And I don't know of any plans to turn it into an I-pad app.

If you've already got a PC, then I would suggest using it to learn how to read your data in SleepyHead.

Quote:I thought I might print off these step by step instructions to hold in my hot little hand to refer to as I was going through the steps on the computer.... Any suggestions? Thanks.
You might try using the I-pad to read the Guide in your browser while stepping through things on the PC.

The trickiest thing right now is that the windows version doesn't have an installer. You have to "manually" unzip the zip file and locate the sleepyhead.exe file to run SleepyHead. The best thing to do is to make a shortcut for the desktop or pin it to the task bar or start menu so that SH is always just a quick mouse click away.

If that last paragraph went clean over your head, please let me know. I'll be happy to try to write some very detailed instructions for you and pm them to you.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
The Qt cross platform framework, which I use to build SleepyHead on, is beginning to be supported on iPad.. and I am seriously considering tablet versions for iPad, as well as Android and Windows RT which are also now supported.

These mobile versions of Qt don't have the web components I use for documentation, plus are short on a few other minor parts used in SleepyHead, which would also need to be pruned. (Not a major loss with webkit, it's a memory pig, and I'm sure there is still some kind of rich text ability to make documentation more attractive)

I must say in all honesty, that I was planning on a commercial fork of SleepyHead (which as copyright holder I'm within my rights to dual licence if I need to) for these mobile platforms, as a means to support SleepyHead development, while keeping desktop platforms free for everyone.

I haven't done so yet partly because it's only just now gotten interesting as far as Qt support on these platforms, and party because Qt commercial licensing costs are ridiculously high, and the implications of using LGPL licensing as an alternative on mobile platforms is still a legal grey area.

Only a fraction of these mobile devices have external USB/SDCard ports, so I was thinking of starting with a companion app that could access the Desktop version of SleepyHeads data stored in cloud storage (DropBox, Google Drive or similar).

I've already started tinkering with the back end stuff, but for now I really want a very solid desktop version, so mobile efforts will be in the background until I'm satisfied things are solid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another OSCAR cannot find data thread - with a twist. Cuppa 63 3,951 03-02-2023, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Cuppa
  OSCAR v1.3.0 is released [old archived thread] Gideon 36 7,481 02-07-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Looking for DreamStation 2 samples using 12mm heated tube [thread closed] sawinglogz 6 1,199 01-14-2022, 04:43 PM
Arrow ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (OLD version: 5.5) [Archived Discussions] SuperSleeper 1,109 1,646,881 08-25-2015, 07:10 PM
  New ResScan Version 5.4.1 - updated June 19, 2015 [old version] SuperSleeper 3 9,304 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Last Post: spursfan1965
Idea Updates to SleepyHead [May 2015] SuperSleeper 21 7,337 06-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
Arrow EncoreBasic 2.4.8.0 CPAP Reporting Software [Archived read-only thread] EncoreBasic User 142 88,383 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Last Post: on the virge

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.