Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Archived SH Discussions [Q&A Thread from Sep-2011 thru May 2014]
RE: SleepyHead CPAP Reporting Software - JediMark
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!! Hold on for a minute here.
It appears that SleepyHead takes in the data from CMS Oximeters! I am off to get my oximeter and my data card from last night.

Whoa. This is good stuff. Is there a comparison of SleepyHead to ResScan anywhere?

Jeez. This is great stuff!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

(05-26-2012, 12:48 PM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: Is there a comparison of SleepyHead to ResScan anywhere?
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-pros-cons

Thanks for the advice everybody. I got the System One Remstar APAP and it works perfectly with SleepHead. Model #IN551S according to the supplier.

On the down-side, based on the ridiculous small sample size of 1 night, I have more clear airway (machine's best guess at a central) apneas than obstructive ones - while using the mask anyway. I was unable to sleep during my sleep hospital sleep trial, so I did a home titration. The fact that I (possibly) have a significant central apnea contribution is a lame surprise, but exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to find out.

I'll give it a few days and then see if any of the various A/C/Flex options help. AHI is only 7.5 (sample size of a single night!) which is a good bit better than it is un-treated anyway.
Been reading up a bit on central apneas, and it seems likely that a contribution of 4 CA events an hour (assuming the remstar is labelling them correctly) , isn't a big deal anyway. Good to know Smile
Very much looking forward to tracking the various stats and see if I can improve them, as I'm still tired all the time - but nothing like I was before CPAP Smile
It's difficult to tell if its true central or not and only sleep study can determine that but one night of data isn't sufficient to determine anything. The machine doesn't know whether you,re awake or not and any event detected while awake would be subtracted to calculate a true AHI. Prolong large leak can affect the accuracy of data too.

(06-01-2012, 04:26 AM)quozl Wrote: Been reading up a bit on central apneas, and it seems likely that a contribution of 4 CA events an hour (assuming the remstar is labelling them correctly) , isn't a big deal anyway. Good to know Smile

Especially at first. I would wait at least two weeks before drawing any meaningful conclusions.

The other thing you can do with SleepyHead is zoom in on the waveform and see how long these apneas last. If they don't last very long, they aren't doing as much potential harm.

It could be that these central apneas are induced by the CPAP therapy itself. This is quite common. And like most problems with CPAP therapy, they tend to go away with time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(06-01-2012, 09:34 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The other thing you can do with SleepyHead is zoom in on the waveform and see how long these apneas last. If they don't last very long, they aren't doing as much potential harm.

I have long wondered if the time length is the number after the event. For example, last night I had the following a clear airway apnea, listed like this in SleepyHead:

#001: 00:35:35(14)

I can select it and it hightlights and zooms the graph, but it's hard to tell exactly how long it lasted. If the (14) above is the time that it lasted it would be easier to see.

I've read all the SleepyHead documentation that I could find, but I don't remember reading about the meaning of the final number.
(06-01-2012, 10:19 AM)JJJ Wrote: I have long wondered if the time length is the number after the event. For example, last night I had the following a clear airway apnea, listed like this in SleepyHead:

#001: 00:35:35(14)

I think this issue has been discussed in this thread by the author. IIRC the meaning of those numbers has never been made clear. I see that sometimes that numbr is less than 10, and if an event has a duration of less than 10 seconds it's not supposed to count!

Quote:I can select it and it hightlights and zooms the graph, but it's hard to tell exactly how long it lasted.

You can estimate it to within 1 or 2 seconds.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(06-01-2012, 09:34 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The other thing you can do with SleepyHead is zoom in on the waveform and see how long these apneas last. If they don't last very long, they aren't doing as much potential harm.

It could be that these central apneas are induced by the CPAP therapy itself. This is quite common. And like most problems with CPAP therapy, they tend to go away with time.

Cheers, Sleepster.

I took your suggestion on zooming in, and I have a few clear airway events of 40+ seconds. I wouldn't be delighted at holding my breath for that long while awake Smile

I've been on CPAP for 2 1/4 years now, but only just got the APAP as I'm hoping it'll improve things.

Tis very interesting to look at the data for sure, and one definite plus already is that I see the APAP going up to 13.5 cm H2O sometimes, whereas my CPAP was fixed at 11, so it surely must be stopping some events that the CPAP wouldn't have. Any improvements from the APAP are welcome!

And I'll have some better data to show my health provider at my annual (so far pointless) visits Smile
(06-03-2012, 06:01 AM)quozl Wrote: I took your suggestion on zooming in, and I have a few clear airway events of 40+ seconds. I wouldn't be delighted at holding my breath for that long while awake Smile

You may want to get an oximeter and see how low your O2 levels drop during these events.

Quote:I've been on CPAP for 2 1/4 years now, but only just got the APAP as I'm hoping it'll improve things.

Tis very interesting to look at the data for sure, and one definite plus already is that I see the APAP going up to 13.5 cm H2O sometimes, whereas my CPAP was fixed at 11, so it surely must be stopping some events that the CPAP wouldn't have. Any improvements from the APAP are welcome!

I don't necessarily agree with your conclusion. It could be that the higher pressure is inducing the CA's. Perhaps they'll subside, or perhaps you'll have to lower the pressure. Were you getting many OA's when you were on CPAP?
Sleepster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another OSCAR cannot find data thread - with a twist. Cuppa 63 3,995 03-02-2023, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Cuppa
  OSCAR v1.3.0 is released [old archived thread] Gideon 36 7,521 02-07-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Looking for DreamStation 2 samples using 12mm heated tube [thread closed] sawinglogz 6 1,205 01-14-2022, 04:43 PM
Arrow ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (OLD version: 5.5) [Archived Discussions] SuperSleeper 1,109 1,649,239 08-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Information Archived SH Discussions [Q&A Thread from Jun-2014 thru Aug 2015] SuperSleeper 542 155,183 08-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Arrow EncoreBasic 2.4.8.0 CPAP Reporting Software [Archived read-only thread] EncoreBasic User 142 88,594 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Last Post: on the virge
  ResScan SW thread 2 -- runs on 64 bit OS? justMongo 6 3,372 05-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Last Post: herbm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.