Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are CPAP accessories tax deductible in Canada??
Are CPAP accessories tax deductible in Canada??
I think this is the right place to post this but I will leave that to the Mods to decide.

This is the second year of hubby using a CPAP and we're wondering if any Canadians on this website have successfully claimed the replacement of accessories like masks, tubing, filters on their income tax.

I looked at the Gov of Can website for eligible expenses, and the machine is covered but there is no mention of the parts you need to run the machine. I could phone them but I avoid government phone calls like the plague because its so hard to get a straight answer out of them.  If there are no Canadians here that can share their experience then I will suck it up and call them.  Just thought I would try here first.

Thanks in advance,

I'm not the "sleeper" but I am his messenger
Wave
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Are CPAP accessories tax deductible in Canada??
With the usual "I am not a tax lawyer" notice, I would guess that the mask and tubing could be considered part of the "Assisted breathing devices that give air to the lungs under pressure," since the air under pressure won't reach the lungs without them. And for oxygen concentrators the maintenance and electricity are deductible.

My insurance has covered all my expenses, so they aren't deductible for me.
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately we do not have any insurance, so being able to claim what we can as a medical expense is critical.

Thanks  for the insight.

Wave
Post Reply Post Reply
My orientation to this has been that anything I actually have to pay for out of pocket, and that an insurer will partly cover after acknowledging that it is a legitimately prescribed item, is deductible. So, all my dispensing fees get added up and deducted for my AFib and lipid control.  I am out of pocket $400 for the Elite I paid for in February when I had to give back the trial machine to the DME; my insurer covered the rest.  So, I will claim the $400 for this past tax year.  Same for what they didn't cover for my spare nasal mask and bag of filters, so far my only additional expenses.

I believe this to be honest, rather than claiming for the total costs paid to the dispenser as it I had paid for it all myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Good morning!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm going to dig out all the receipts related to hubby's CPAP operation and document it for RevCan.

Have a great day! 
Coffee

Wave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Canada Day!! cate1898 1 708 07-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Last Post: chill
Question Canada 1898 justMongo 8 1,003 11-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Last Post: DocWils
  Canada 2015 zonk 1 689 07-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Happy Thanksgiving (Canada) zonk 1 1,467 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.