Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are Machines that use the Humidx system more likely to give you an infection?
Are Machines that use the Humidx system more likely to give you an infection?
I may be misinformed to start with, but if I understand it correctly,  the humidx basically recycles your own breath rather than drawing fresh air from the outside and humidifying it. Any chance bacteria would be more likely to build up in the humidx? Granted, I am the only one using the machine but in our Covid infested world I can't help thinking about other "closed systems" like airplane cabins... I am fully vaccinated, just paranoid.

Quote:A. M. Schaer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are Machines that use the Humidx system more likely to give you an infection?
What is wrong with the Humidifier on the the AirSense 10? The air comes for somewhere. Right? Keep your gear clean you should be good. I haven't had an infection in 4 years of cpap. Its actually made me stronger.

As far as Coronavirus goes take Vitamin D every day it is proven to help.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are Machines that use the Humidx system more likely to give you an infection?
Humidxs don't recycle your own breath, they capture moisture from you exhaled breath and supply it back to you. 

They are not a closed system, air is still pumped from the CPAP source and CO2 vented. The captured moisture is sure to contain some exhaled pathogens, but these are pathogens that came from you and your systems are already teaming with.

Not sure how the COVID infested/ airplane cabin comments are relevant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course, bacteria multiply faster in high humidity, but covid is not a bacteria. Just clean the humidifier from time to time and you'll be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
some information on the subject https://cpapcleaning.org/can-cpap-cause-pneumonia/
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 08:38 PM)schaer Wrote: I may be misinformed to start with, but if I understand it correctly,  the humidx basically recycles your own breath rather than drawing fresh air from the outside and humidifying it. Any chance bacteria would be more likely to build up in the humidx? Granted, I am the only one using the machine but in our Covid infested world I can't help thinking about other "closed systems" like airplane cabins... I am fully vaccinated, just paranoid.
If you keep your air mini gear clean and change your humidx regularly, there should be absolutely no need to worry. 
Passenger jets use the highest quality HEPA grade air filtration systems so air quality inside a passenger aircraft is as good as it gets. If I could filter my home's forced air HVAC as effectively as inside an aircraft, I'd be a happy camper.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,238 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 197 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,791 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.