Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are OSA's more frequent/worse when sleeping on your back?
Are OSA's more frequent/worse when sleeping on your back?
Just realized something. When I did my sleep study I spent most of the time (62%) supine, the rest on my left side. Thing is, in my own bed I never ever sleep on my back, usually my right side.

I have yet to sleep through the night with my mask on. It will be interesting to see how I do on the Sleepyhead software and if I really do need the ultra-high pressures I've been prescribed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are OSA's more frequent/worse when sleeping on your back?
It is a matter of gravity. When you lay on your back, gravity helps the throat tissue to fall back and block the airway. Sleeping on your side or stomach can help decrease it.

And, how do you know you sleep more on your side at home? Unless someone is sitting there watching you all night or you you record it, how do you know?

I'm not being a smart aleck, honest. But just because you wake up on your side does not mean you stayed there.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2013, 03:36 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It is a matter of gravity. When you lay on your back, gravity helps the throat tissue to fall back and block the airway. Sleeping on your side or stomach can help decrease it.

And, how do you know you sleep more on your side at home? Unless someone is sitting there watching you all night or you you record it, how do you know?

I'm not being a smart aleck, honest. But just because you wake up on your side does not mean you stayed there.

You're right, I assume I stay in the position I start out in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. O yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2013, 10:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Yes. O yes.
OMyMyOHellYes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2013, 10:17 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(07-23-2013, 10:12 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Yes. O yes.
OMyMyOHellYes?

Absolutely, yes.

I wear a tennis ball in a pocket sewn on the back of a moderately snug teeshirt, right between the shoulder blades, to make sure I do not roll on my back while asleep. (Teeshirt needs to be fairly snug so the tennis ball will not droop out of place and cause discomfort by managing to touch the bed when you are on your side.)

Our pressure needs are often MUCH higher when sleeping on our back, so if we can make sure we will stay off our back, our pressure can be set lower. But we should be looking at our data to see how often obstructive apneas or hypopneas are occurring.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2013, 01:24 PM)ellen1159 Wrote: Just realized something. When I did my sleep study I spent most of the time (62%) supine, the rest on my left side. Thing is, in my own bed I never ever sleep on my back, usually my right side.

I have yet to sleep through the night with my mask on. It will be interesting to see how I do on the Sleepyhead software and if I really do need the ultra-high pressures I've been prescribed.

I bought my own pulse oximeter because my numbers range all over the map. I have maybe 50 recordings saved and staying off my back is HUGE in my case. Problem is, that is easier said than done for me. I am fine with a jaw appliance, no CPAP if I can stay off my back. On my back, not so good at all. As others have pointed out, you really don't know what position you sleep at at home unless you have an observer.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 181 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.