Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are These Positional Apneas?
Are These Positional Apneas?
Hi folks -- I suspect the OAs shown on the attached screenshots  are positional apneas, but I would appreciate it if one of you Oscar experts would take a look and confirm or correct my not-so-expert analysis.

This was not a terrible night and I awoke this morning feeling fine. However, the reported level of OAs is unusually high for me, and I'm wondering whether my sleeping position caused the spike in apparent OAs.

For what it's worth, I currently use a Dreamwear nasal mask, tape my mouth and wear a soft cervical collar.  I sleep primarily on my sides and try to avoid tucking my chin. I occasionally sleep on my back for short periods.

This is certainly not a very serious  matter, but I'm always impressed by the ability of our expert forum members to look at a flow rate chart and deduce what happened, and I 'd be grateful for any insights you smart folks care to offer.

Thank you,
AndyB

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are These Positional Apneas?
OA = obstructive apnea. It's positional. Airway is blocked in your body. AHI 1.59 is good.

CA = central apnea. It means that your brain doesn't send commands to breathe. Aiways are open.

UA = undefined apnea. It means that the machine has not detected apnea which it is. Large leaks (LL) can cause undefined apnea events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi unidee -- thanks for your reply, but my question is directed to the type of OAs shown on my flow chart.

My CPAP machine identified the flow restrictions as OAs, which means simply that the airway was sufficiently blocked to trigger the machine's OA algorithm. However, positional apneas are a subset of OAs which are caused by one's airway being pinched as a result of one's head and neck not being properly aligned when asleep (often described in this forum as "chin tucking").

See the following thread for a good discussion of this issue: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...s-New-User

I was just wondering whether any of the expert flow chart readers on the forum could confirm or correct my assumption that my flow chart looks like it shows positional OAs.

Not a big deal, just curious . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure they are positional, but it really is hard to say. They could be.

What they look like to me are mis-attributed centrals

Obstructive Apneas are often followed by a recovery breath and rarely followed be a waning upwards.

Looking at the OA at 00:37:30 after your flow-rate slowly starts waning upwards. The same thing again at 00:44:00. 

When we experience OAs, amidst a bunch of waxing and waning Flow Rates and with some Centrals mixed in there, a consideration are Centrals being mis-attributed as Obstructive.

With OAs, our body's want to breath and can't. When it finally gets to, it will likle draw in a larger breath. The same isn't true with CAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
DogSlobber - thank you for your insight!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 596 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 353 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 84 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.