Are "Up Charge" Costs Legal in NY for a better Machine?
2Tim215 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 ResMed AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX Nasal Pillow - Medium
Humidifier: ResMed H5i w/Climate Hose
CPAP Pressure: 6cm-12cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: OSA, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Gout, PTSD, & Meralgia paresthetica.

Sex: Male

Are "Up Charge" Costs Legal in NY for a better Machine?
I have been working hard on learning more about my sleep disorder and trying to figure out why current treatment hasn't worked (approx. 22 months). It seems that the machine may be the culprit and the only way to know is to switch. There is no doubt I need an AutoPap from all the information I have learned and as I shopped around for one I find most DME's aren't being honest with different reasons why I don't need one. Recently I found a DME who has the AutoSet but says there is an, "Up Charge"! Is that legal in NY when the S9 AutoSet is the same insurance code for an S9 Escape, E0601?

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2012 06:02 PM by 2Tim215.)
11-11-2012 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Are "Up Charge" Costs Legal in NY for a better Machine?
Rather than "government illegal," it's probably against their contract with the insurance company if they're an "in network" provider.

It might be "government illegal" as well, depending on state law, and whether the state regulators care.

However, they are probably not required to provide an AutoSet, just a CPAP that fulfills the requirement of the the prescription. Writing "Dispense as written" doesn't obligate the DME to provide that model either, but they may not legally be able to dispense another model of machine.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
11-11-2012 06:22 PM
2Tim215 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 ResMed AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX Nasal Pillow - Medium
Humidifier: ResMed H5i w/Climate Hose
CPAP Pressure: 6cm-12cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: OSA, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Gout, PTSD, & Meralgia paresthetica.

Sex: Male

RE: Are "Up Charge" Costs Legal in NY for a better Machine?
Thank you for the reply. They are a "in network" provider that I obtained from the insurance companies web-site. They wanted me to sign a waiver for I believe $2000.00 if the insurance company denied the prescription. I have a Customer Care worker that totally understood my position and is behind me in getting the new machine. We are working now on a Pre-approval. It would seem if they are contracted with the insurance company they should fill whatever prescription they receive if it is an item they stock in an area they specialize in. But all of this is new to me as I haven't really dealt with this type of situation before.

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
11-11-2012 06:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Who generally is in charge of your CPAP settings? Mezzrow 9 461 11-12-2016 01:47 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,038 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Legal liability for not using the CPAP machine westernartfan 30 1,644 08-14-2016 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phill
Money Seperate charge for integrated humidifier SpeedyD 2 428 02-23-2016 12:00 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  New to CPAP- Questions for someone who wants to take charge of his health. Hermanoscott 7 935 01-14-2016 03:09 AM
Last Post: Diane1048
  Lincare: You signed it, so we can charge you whatever you owe.. heyheyrayray 53 9,809 02-18-2015 10:14 PM
Money Charge for built in humidifier? davidy 12 2,256 12-16-2014 05:55 PM