Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are You Monitored By A Sleep Dr?
RE: Are You Monitored By A Sleep Dr?
Hi Spy Car,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I just see a nurse-Practicianer once a year and I do mention my CPAP treatment, and she will ask how I am doing with it and I say fine, and that's about it.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I never met my original prescribing doc.
I met once at 30 days with a pulmonoligist, for compliance, at 90 with my primary care nurse for the last face to face.
Now if i need anything that needs a rx she writes it, no questions asked. She does my annual recert.
Great gal who knows next to nothing about cpap, but knows I do.
My machine doesnt call anyone. And if my next one has that capability it soon wont.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw the sleep doc before the sleep test.
I saw him 3 months after the sleep test.
I saw him 3 or 4 yrs later after a blood pressure scare and the cardiologist wondered if the sleep apnea could be related.
I've not seen him since.

He does not believe in auto-titrating machines.
Even after the blood pressure scare, he does not think I should have a data-capable machine. Had I had one, I could have prevented the scare, the stress tests, the heart cath, and the other tests I endured while we tried numerous medications in an effort to prevent a stroke.

My GP doesn't know much about sleep apnea (except the dangers of it going untreated) or CPAPs. But she knows patient empowerment is a good thing. She writes all my scripts now for sleep apnea related stuff. Unless Medicare or Medicaid insists I go to a sleep doc, I'm happy the way it is now.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2016, 09:38 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I saw the sleep doc before the sleep test.
I saw him 3 months after the sleep test.
I saw him 3 or 4 yrs later after a blood pressure scare and the cardiologist wondered if the sleep apnea could be related.
I've not seen him since.

He does not believe in auto-titrating machines.
Even after the blood pressure scare, he does not think I should have a data-capable machine. Had I had one, I could have prevented the scare, the stress tests, the heart cath, and the other tests I endured while we tried numerous medications in an effort to prevent a stroke.

My GP doesn't know much about sleep apnea (except the dangers of it going untreated) or CPAPs. But she knows patient empowerment is a good thing. She writes all my scripts now for sleep apnea related stuff. Unless Medicare or Medicaid insists I go to a sleep doc, I'm happy the way it is now.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Paula
From reading yours and other's remarks about not having to see a sleep doctor I have my question answered regarding that.

But what can you share about this "annual compliance report" that SOMEONE has to write if a sleep doctor is not on your appointment schedule. Does Medicare request this report from your GP doctor? Is it requested from the DME? Do GP's who are treating you know they are required to write this annual report? If I stop seeing my "sleep doctor" do I have to alert my GP that it's now his responsibility to write a annual report? How does it all work and what is my responsibility to see that the requirement is met for continued Medicare coverage?
Thanks
old82
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2016, 06:09 PM)Spy Car Wrote: I sort of wish I had an expert looking at my data (not that I'm a severe case).

Bill

Hi Bill,

Your're in luck. I know a guy who knows a guy...

Welcome to the apneaboard forum.

We're not doctors (not all guys either) but here you will find experts who are fellow apnea sufferers with deep personal insights into what sleep apnea patients struggle with and the data the machine captures.

And they are happy to provide helpful advice on issues you are dealing with, analysis of what the sleepyhead data is telling you, and suggestions for tweaks you might make to improve the effectiveness of your therapy

Feel free to share any apnea-related issues you are wrestling with, post your sleepyhead data, and ask lots of questions.

Chances are someone here knows the answers and will provide helpful info, encouragement, and non-medical advice in this online community of patients helping one another.

The best thing you can do is be proactive with your therapy, and you are already on a good path.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
I would guess that you are with Kaiser and the person misspoke (sp?). While you probably could go two years, CA also requires prescriptions for CPAP supplies, so I would guess they would just send you a reminder notice when they NEED to see you with the understanding that if you are having problems that you will call them. Most people see a PA or NP unless there are complications after an initial visit at many sleep clinics.

I saw the sleep doctor at my initial visit, but not at subsequent visits. However, the doctor/owner of the sleep clinic reviews my data beyond compliance. She actually appreciated the Sleepyhead data that showed the entire year and the pattern of broken sleep. She wants another printout in two months to see what the med is doing as well as weekly oximeter readings (since I have it). I am not the first person to present Sleepyhead data, I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not see a sleep doctor for the first 3 years that I was on CPAP. My PCP arranged for the sleep test and wrote the prescription for my equipment. My new PCP (the old one retired) referred me to a sleep doc concerning mask leakage problems. At the end of my initial visit with the sleep doc he told me that my only problem was my DME, Apria.

He sent me to a different DME and that is when I got a mask that fixed my leak problems. I have since been forced back to Apria and since I have been on this forum I have not needed any advice from Apria's RTs anyway. I will say that it sure seems that Apria knows how to work (game?) the system.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2016, 12:18 PM)PaytonA Wrote: At the end of my initial visit with the sleep doc he told me that my only problem was my DME, Apria.

I have not had any problems with Apria. However, I do not look to them for any advice either. I treat them like any other store I deal with and feel I have choices. There are insurance issues and I hear a lot about compliance but I think all are achievable.

Information is power and this sight is full of information and power.

Use it to the fullest and take charge of your life, your entire life.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor handles all compliance visits. He has several techs who are all on cpap and are very knowledgeable that I use for everything else. They seem to know more than the doctor on the day to day cpap experience.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2016, 08:47 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Spy Car,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I just see a nurse-Practicianer once a year and I do mention my CPAP treatment, and she will ask how I am doing with it and I say fine, and that's about it.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.

Thanks for the welcome!

(09-10-2016, 10:44 AM)SaldusMiegas Wrote: Hi Bill,

Your're in luck. I know a guy who knows a guy...

Welcome to the apneaboard forum.

We're not doctors (not all guys either) but here you will find experts who are fellow apnea sufferers with deep personal insights into what sleep apnea patients struggle with and the data the machine captures.

And they are happy to provide helpful advice on issues you are dealing with, analysis of what the sleepyhead data is telling you, and suggestions for tweaks you might make to improve the effectiveness of your therapy

Feel free to share any apnea-related issues you are wrestling with, post your sleepyhead data, and ask lots of questions.

Chances are someone here knows the answers and will provide helpful info, encouragement, and non-medical advice in this online community of patients helping one another.

The best thing you can do is be proactive with your therapy, and you are already on a good path.

Saldus Miegas

This seems like an amazing resource. I figure as long as I'm using a machine, and it is possible to data mine, and there is a supportive community that's willing to share their expertise, I might as well empower myself with knowledge.

I've got a lot to learn.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 223 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 253 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,417 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 834 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,061 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 699 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,270 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.