Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are black VAuto machines counterfeit? Ans- NO
Are black VAuto machines counterfeit? Ans- NO
Unless ResMed has decided to case Aircurve 10 VAuto in black, one consequence of the airbreak project are counterfit VAutos.

I found what appear to be AirSense 10 CPAPs flashed with AirCurve 10 VAuto firmware, a badge glued on, and being sold as VAutos.

[attachment=35944][attachment=35945]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Counterfeit Aircurve Vautos
Actually not sure if that would be bad!

We've known since spring 2020 that the hardware on the Air<whatever>10s is the same, and that the difference between the variations of autoset/vauto/ASV is the software.

There are some enterprising hackers who proved this by jailbreaking autosets and somewhere in the more seedy bowels of the internet there are even instructions.

So these might be old autosets which have been jailbroken, and they might even function correctly -- or correctly enough.

While all the caveats apply about trusting bootlegged systems, if you are a Respironics bipap or ASV user who can't get a genuine ResMed vauto or ASV, you might decide for yourself that the risks of the jailbreaking are less than the risks of the killer foam...
Post Reply Post Reply
Are they accepting counterfeit money to buy the counterfeit PAP? I have a counterfeit VISA I'd like to use. Alternately, a stack of $3 US of China bills.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2021, 12:32 PM)cathyf Wrote: So these might be old autosets which have been jailbroken, and they might even function correctly -- or correctly enough.
There lies the problem. How would someone new to ResMed know whether it is working correctly?

Knowingly using hacked firmware is willingly assuming the risks. 

Unwittingly buying a counterfeit is being defrauded.

Rebadging them as VAutos and pricing them as such is fraud.
Post Reply Post Reply
And, just as a by the way... apparently the hacked AutoSet did not operate as an ASV, missing some menu entries.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you looked at the data and settings in Oscar yet?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope - not planning on it.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are the run hours also reset when doing a jail-break?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, the STM8 chip that stores run hours is on the blower (pneumatic block).
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just bought a black Aircurve 10 Vauto. I had just chalked the anomaly up to the fact Resmed is crushed with orders right now, and I figured they ran out of the grey trim.  Besides, I didn't really want grey and preferred the black, so it wasn't a problem except when I first opened the box and thought I'd been incorrectly shipped a cpap.

This gives me cause for concern as I knew nothing about Airbreak until reading this.  However, I'm still thinking it's most likely a legit machine for two reasons:

1.  I purchased from a well established DME that's a long time Resmed supplier (Hart Medical).

2.  The counterfeiters would have to have also managed a legit serial number, because when I put that into the MyAir setup, it correctly recognized it as an Aircurve 10 Vauto. And, the MyAir app is getting the data from my machine, so the serial number has to match the factory set number.

The bottom line is I still think it's Resmed, but now that I know the only difference is the software I'm thinking that Resmed just reflashed some units originally intended to be Airsense machines.  Again, the crush of orders has probably caused them to have to change things up.

Still, I might try contacting Resmed to confirm if they have been making some black Aircurve 10 Vautos.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 564 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 466 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 88 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What machine? VAuto vs ASV snapperzz 3 141 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 729 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.