Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are docs trying to creep into CPAP biz
Are docs trying to creep into CPAP biz
This is the headline of HME News for Sept. 28, 2012. http://www.hmenews.com/article/are-docs-...p-cpap-biz
More than a couple times, we've seen posts on Apneaboard mentioning a doc who also sells xPAP equipment with others quickly responding that they'd never deal with such a doc--big conflict of interest. According to this article, The American Academy of Sleep Medicine believes sleep docs should be doing the whole thing from sleep studies to selling the equipment to patients in order to eliminate the currently "fragmented care." The academy recently sent a letter to its members urging donations to its political action committee. The first response to this report which appears immediately below it on the HME News page voices the idea that the idea has less to do with pt. outcomes and more to do with increasing docs' cash flow. There's more in the article, but just wanted to bring it to the attention of board members.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are docs trying to creep into CPAP biz
It seems that a lot of doctors are moving into the sleep study field, but a lot of them are NOT CERTIFIED in that field. Check it out on the internet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bernie, I have learned that sleep medicine is a sub-specialty that is offered to docs in seven specialties. My community's large hospital has a sleep lab that is staffed by docs, some of whom are and some are not boarded in sleep medicine. Doctors do not have to have the sleep medicine sub-specialty to write scripts for CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
patient walk in to see the doc, get the overnight sleep study done, walk out in the morning with a brand new machine
and all the bills sent to insurance ... one stop shop
it might appeal to bigger sleep lab with high turnover who give donations to the AASM
but would do nothing to patient compliance with the therapy ... 5something like 50% quit in the first month
as always buyers beware but not sure about the sleep deprived apneic able to figure whats going on

Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's a slippery slope. It's not far from selling machines (though I'm sure,hope, that most are honest) to taking kickbacks and gifts from particular manufacturers. Unless the doc is affiliated with a DME how do they offer warranty and repair services?
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I feel the same way about the sleep health business center that I go to.
They do the studies, write the prescription, provide the equipment (one brand only), check compliance and when I told them I was having trouble sleeping - wanted me to go to see one of their sleep psychologists.
I wish my primary Dr would write scripts for equipment and I could get away from this corporation.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that CPAP was invented by a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Johns091---a sleep psychologist? That's a new twist to me. What, pray tell, can a psychologist do for apnea? Physicians and physician assistants and even a nurse practitioner, which my local sleep lab uses for sleep study paperwork, make sense to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Psychologist can teach sleep hygiene, relaxation strategies, and assess for other stuff that might be keeping you awake....they can also help with the frustration that goes along with insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not seen a sleep psychologist but I have been to sleep counselors.

The medical field dedicated to sleep is huge. Sleep apnea is but part of it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Go Sleep Docs! SleepyHenry 2 693 08-08-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: SleepyHenry
  200+ days in, no real improvement, docs have no clues. BobbyK 16 3,472 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  docs Beej 11 2,533 01-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Medicare covered Codes - interesting docs and links for US icyura10 0 1,367 08-10-2016, 12:48 AM
Last Post: icyura10
  why do some need a docs script for a machine? space45 17 5,907 03-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Last Post: JimZZZ
  Technical, professional instruction for Docs to set APAP treatment herbm 13 5,521 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Last Post: JohnNJ
  Dealing with DMEs (& Docs) Dawei 4 3,791 05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.