Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are hypoallergenic and antibacterial filters the same?
Are hypoallergenic and antibacterial filters the same?

The root of my question is can I use a hypoallergenic filter with my slimline tubing with my resmed S9. The manual says I cannot use antibacterial filters (too restrictive) with slimline tubing.

I would love to not have mold spores, pollen etc... shoved deep into my lungs all night but would hate to have to give up my slim heated climateline tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are hypoallergenic and antibacterial filters the same?
I'm not even sure what the OEM means by "hypoallergenic". It could mean that you wont get a rash from eating it.
Tongue
I assume they mean that it will catch pollen grains, but I don't know about mold spores.
I am thinking that more folks have trouble with dust mites and their waste products than anything else.
So...Have you got hard evidence of mold in your house?
Maybe just running a HEPA air cleaner in your bedroom is good enough.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
You can use a hypoallergenic filter in place of the standard filter with no problem. I think the filters you refer to that are not recommended are the in-line filters.
Post Reply Post Reply
The filter in question is resmed item number 36856.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, 36856 is the disposable hypoallergenic filter and can be used instead of the disposable standard filter.

I think the antibacterial filter in question is an in-line secondary filter that is placed between the humidifier and hose. These secondary filters cannot be used with a ClimateLine.

I use the hypoallergenic filters and have never had a problem and ResMed doesn't have any recommendation against them.
Post Reply Post Reply
But it really is not necessary. The CPAP is not forcing air into your lungs. You are not breathing in any more or any less molds and whatnot that if you are without the machine. The CPAP cannot inflate the lungs like a ventilator does. It has just enough oomph to make the throat stay open as you relax in sleep.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2013, 09:27 AM)cincysinner Wrote: The root of my question is can I use a hypoallergenic filter with my slimline tubing with my resmed S9. The manual says I cannot use antibacterial filters (too restrictive) with slimline tubing.
You can use either filter (standard or hypo filters)
antibacterials filters are used in hospitals with multi-patients using the machine
You can use antibac filter with standard hose not with slimline or climateline/Max hoses
here is a picture
[Image: 22021917_200x200.png][Image: IMG01330-20110701-1240.JPG]

Post Reply Post Reply
When we were traveling so much last year, I often wished I had some sort of filter on the machine to help with the "hope to never identify it" smells we came across in the hotels. We learned that it is better to spend money for a good room, even if only going to be there to sleep.

So I could see a use for the hypo one while traveling or otherwise away from home.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The antibacterial filters that go between the hose and humidifier are mostly for single night use for machines that get used with multiple patients. Since they will have sort of a wet sponge after your you use them every night, they'd probably tend to grow bacteria or mold if you used them more than one day or two.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 92 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 396 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,472 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 831 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 535 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.