Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are isolated "gasps" arousals?
RE: Are isolated "gasps" arousals?
Obob, I'm following your thread with great interest. Do you feel better today?
Post Reply Post Reply
More RERA-like flow limitation waveforms are shown in this post I just added onto my thread.
It might help new people learning how to interpret these zoomed images (such as myself).

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid323859
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 02:33 PM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: More RERA-like flow limitation waveforms are shown in this post I just added onto my thread.
It might help new people learning how to interpret these zoomed images (such as myself).

Thank you AQ.  That is helpful for me.  I also "slept" with the PR APAP for some time last night and this morning to meet compliance.  Interesting the difference in flow waveforms between the two machines.  I haven't shown either but the difference is astounding: VAuto almost all well rounded while sleep wave forms with the APAP are almost all "chair"(see fig. at beginning of this post) or "plateau"  (classes 4 & 7 in the chart you show.)  Actually, following the VAuto sessions I didn't actually sleep very much while on the APAP -- perhaps 30 minutes out of 4.4 hours, the rest being a rollercoaster of mostly central apneas typical of my SWJ.  I will certainly examine the references in the google search that you linked.  Maybe I can find something to educate my sleep doctor there.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 12:42 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Obob, I'm following your thread with great interest.  Do you feel better today?

Thank you Dormeo.  Yes, surprisingly I do feel better today in spite of only a few hour of quality sleep with the VAuto, the rest with trash "sleep" using my APAP, but certainly also the good result has me hyped.  Time will tell but certainly feel optimistic. (A turn around!)

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 06:12 PM)sheepless Wrote: ...

if the spikes in your screenshots are truly isolated (i.e., not repeating somewhat regularly), they could simply be sighs or they could be recovery breaths after a period of flow limited breaths. I think both have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

I don't think the gasps are periodic, sheepless, but need to look at many more examples (have over 11 months worth -- not 9 as I first guessed.)  Interesting thing I saw this morning with the VAuto is that although the flow limited inspires are gone I still do have gasps.  Have to keep an eye on these as I (hopefully) get more similar results.  Thanks again.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 04:14 PM)obob Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 02:33 PM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: More RERA-like flow limitation waveforms are shown in this post I just added onto my thread.

Thank you AQ.  That is helpful for me........
obob

By the way, it turns out that the 3rd hit in that google search is the actual paper (for me at least).
I'm surprised google doesn't make it #1 since the match is perfect... but that's another story for another day.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0c30/43...370be1.pdf

You'll be happy to hear that "Subject 1" has results most like yours and was considered to be "the most normal of healthy males" in the control group.
Look at the final figure in that paper to see the distribution of waveforms to see the distribution histogram "match"..... then scan through the paper to see who "Subject 1" was.

That's only worth what you paid for it.  I have got very little interpretation experience (to date) but I CAN read.  ;-)

P.S. That paper is from Finland... interesting coincidence considering my initial Norwegian/Scandinavian youtube video.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 05:55 PM)ApneaQuestions Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 04:14 PM)obob Wrote:

Thank you AQ.  That is helpful for me........
obob

By the way, it turns out that the 3rd hit in that google search is the actual paper (for me at least).
I'm surprised google doesn't make it #1 since the match is perfect... but that's another story for another day.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0c30/43...370be1.pdf

You'll be happy to hear that "Subject 1" has results most like yours and was considered to be "the most normal of healthy males" in the control group.
Look at the final figure in that paper to see the distribution of waveforms to see the distribution histogram "match"..... then scan through the paper to see who "Subject 1" was.

That's only worth what you paid for it.  I have got very little interpretation experience (to date) but I CAN read.  ;-)

P.S. That paper is from Finland... interesting coincidence considering my initial Norwegian/Scandinavian youtube video.

That was an excellent paper apneaquestions
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Dude! I told you so.

Give me a chance, and we might even do better.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=18039]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 08:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Dude! I told you so.

Give me a chance, and we might even do better.

"... or 'Your Dudeness' if your not into that whole brevity thing."

Actually I come from a different era, but appreciate whatever honorifics I can get.  I remain in high spirits even though last night's trial with the VAuto was not quite as stellar as the night before.

Aside from the SWJ stuff the over-all picture looks pretty good.  However, looking at the 2 minute flow rate, VAuto looks a bit more like the results from the PR APAP machine -- variously flattened tops (but not as bad as with the APAP.)  Note also from the attachment here that there are more flow limitations recorded.

I'll reveal (most) of the crazy things I do in my mostly futile quest for a good night's sleep in due course, but for now just three things:
  • Am splitting the night between VAuto and APAP until Dec 26 (feel Big Brother is still watching my every move) so, about 4 hours/night for each.  Even the lower quality sleep (or semi sleep) so far seem to be agreeing with me.  Fact, think I'm feeling better today than I have for several months.
  • During the night I take a small sub lingual dose of Zolpidem before every sleep session (each time I start or re-start the PAP machine.)  My hope in doing this is to shorten the wake-sleep transition.  I've not discussed this with anyone -- maybe it works.  Dosage is 1-2 mg/session.
  • Since Thursday I have used a nasal spray containing xylitol and capsacin (XLEAR MAX, just what I could find that wasn't even more ridiculously expensive.  Read about this in comment by ragtopcircus in recent AB thread by tarah.  Thanks)  Used liberally, 5-6 times per day.  Don't know if this was the cause, but my rhinitis has significantly subsided.  Also think the VAuto helps with this condition.
 Here are APAP pictures for Friday and Saturday "nights" (for comparison.)  Not pretty:

[attachment=18097]

So, Sleeprider whats next?  

obob

PS: Having lots of trouble getting the pictures where I want them.  Sorry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 08:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Dude! I told you so.

Give me a chance, and we might even do better.   ....

Results from Sunday night.  Over all, very encouraging for me:

Two minute view of flow rate (FR) starts off looking very good:

But after about one hour FR begins to show signs of flow limitation (FL) (some recognized by VAuto but many not identified.  -- IMO)  Then it degenerates further to what looks to me like quite distressed breathing with increased respiratory rate (RR):

This is followed by somewhat better looking FR but still quite flattened tops indicative of FL (not shown here.)  

I'm surprised that the FLs that are recognized by VAuto do not increase IPAP more.

What do you think?

obob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 708 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 678 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,327 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,096 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Sad [CPAP] Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals? Norman2195 5 835 04-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: esleepie
  Mouth Breathing and Spontaneous Arousals Old Mike 24 1,683 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Low AHI, still having several arousals and bad sleep. Please help Quimey 7 762 02-07-2023, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.