Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are isolated "gasps" arousals?
RE: Are isolated "gasps" arousals?
Thank you Bonjour for you advice (and previous help, which I may not have acknowledged at the time.)  I hopefully will finish with the PR APAP machine very soon, when I serve out my year-long indenture to Medicare.  I will then (with or without Medicare's largess) attempt optimization of the AirCurve 10 VAuto I have had since last May.

I've outlined my situation and concerns in my reply to Sleeprider, above.  I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts/answers to any of my concerns expressed there.  I am as ever appreciative of your contributions and those of the AB community.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 10:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: obob, if you have a Vauto and would like to immediately prove your doctor wrong, then let's do a trial on the Vauto and compare.  I can give you setting that should be able to give you all the proof you need in less than one week.  Read this thread by Car54 and let me know. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...curve-auto

I am very eger to get the VAuto set up optimally.  Have an appointment tomorrow with the "compliance police."  If that goes as I expect then I should be able to switch my attention totally to the VAuto on Saturday.  What do you suggest as a starting point?

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
I am all in favor of moving to the VAuto. Guarantee it will not be worse!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 11:38 AM)obob Wrote:
(12-12-2019, 10:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: obob, if you have a Vauto and would like to immediately prove your doctor wrong, then let's do a trial on the Vauto and compare.  I can give you setting that should be able to give you all the proof you need in less than one week.  Read this thread by Car54 and let me know. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...curve-auto

I am very eger to get the VAuto set up optimally.  Have an appointment tomorrow with the "compliance police."  If that goes as I expect then I should be able to switch my attention totally to the VAuto on Saturday.  What do you suggest as a starting point?

obob

Mode: Vauto
EPAP min 8.0
IPAP max 16.0
PS 3.0
Ti Min 0.3 (default)
Ti Max 1.8 (default)
Trigger and cycle sensitivity: Medium (default)

I expect to increase PS, but let's see it in steps.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good start  Lolabove Lolabove Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 10:20 AM)sheepless Wrote: I see just one spike in the recent screenshots. if these are repetitive w fairly uniform intervals, consider the possibility of periodic limb movements.

Thanks sheepless.  I'm unaware of periodic limb movements, but more importantly, my wife has not complained and remains unbruised.  Good thing to keep in mind though.  Have a friend who's wife has deserted him (to another bedroom) for that very reason.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't want to overstate this and I'm not saying it's a problem for you based on what I've seen, but I doubt you'd know it if you did have it. few of us are aware of apnea events as they occur; probably fewer are aware of plm. considering how disruptive plm is to me, I'm surprised at how infrequently my wife has mentioned it. yet it seems to be the reason for my fragmented sleep and why I'm still not feeling rested after 3 years of pap.

like you say, just something to keep in mind. I hope it's not an issue for you but for future reference, if you see a flow rate pattern of relatively flow limited breaths bookended by inhale spikes, ask your wife to pay close attention for a few nights, record your movements and sounds with a phone sleep app, and/or video yourself. you can also dig deep into your sleep study if you have one to see if plm was counted but not reported in the summary or by the doctor. this happened to me, even though I complained about restless legs in every office visit.

if the spikes in your screenshots are truly isolated (i.e., not repeating somewhat regularly), they could simply be sighs or they could be recovery breaths after a period of flow limited breaths. I think both have been mentioned earlier in this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 12:43 PM)Sleeprider wrote Wrote: ...

EPAP min 8.0
IPAP max 16.0
PS 3.0
Ti Min 0.3 (default)
Ti Max 1.8 (default)

OK!  Machine is all set.  As I said. will start first session Friday night (12/13) and will report how it went Saturday.  I have some concerns but will give your settings a try and if necessary will comment later...  Many thanks Sleeprider!

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=18038 Wrote:Sleeprider pid='323459' dateline='1576172587']    
(12-12-2019, 11:38 AM)obob Wrote:

obob

EPAP min 8.0
IPAP max 16.0
PS 3.0
Ti Min 0.3 (default)
Ti Max 1.8 (default)

Wow!  I'm amazed!!  I had very low expectations last night -- had my second shingles shot yesterday afternoon with the result by evening that I couldn't lift my left arm or even contemplate sleeping on my left side.  Also, though not so bad a previous nights, I was still quite congested.   Result of first session (of 2) was fantastic and almost all inspires are nicely rounded - no flat tops!

I'll comment more later today.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
    Sorry.  I obviously have not mastered attachments.

obob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,204 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 747 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 699 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,364 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
Sad [CPAP] Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals? Norman2195 5 859 04-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: esleepie
  Mouth Breathing and Spontaneous Arousals Old Mike 24 1,739 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Low AHI, still having several arousals and bad sleep. Please help Quimey 7 790 02-07-2023, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.