Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are isolated "gasps" arousals?
Are isolated "gasps" arousals?

I have noticed almost from the beginning of my 9 month experience with CPAP that I have a fairly large, persistent number of "spikes" in my Sleepyhead/OSCAR Flow Rate graphs, and that these correspond with "spikes" in the Tidal Volume (TV) graphs.  Many (or most) of these spikes correspond to a single inspiratory event, but none are significant enough to change the Respiration Rate much (15-17 bpm.)  A convenient way to score them is to count the TV "spikes" that reach above the 95% level:  in my case an average of 15 little gasps per hour.

For all I know this is a common occurrence.  Can anyone tell me if these spikes/gasps might be arousals that might have bearing on how crappy I feel most of the time.  (AHI high one day, low another.  On and off quite congested.  Extreme fatigue far exceeding quotidian lassitude.  For a while felt I was getting a handle on my "sleep problem" but not lately.)

Any thoughts much appreciated,

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are isolated "gasps" arousals?
Your close-up graph shows the classic condition for RERA which is an increasing flow limitation followed by a recovery breath or increased flow rate. While we don't have EEG to show sleep stage, it is safe to say this is very likely an arousal. The Dreamstation CPAP does not offer much help for this pattern, and a bilevel or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with EPR is a more effective tool as flow limitation is better treated by pressure support than higher pressure. You would really like an Aircurve 10 Vauto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not wanting to make light of your question.... I can't offer any answers.... but as I tried to imagine what you are describing, I couldn't help but think of a Norwegian colleague I once worked with.  (Lovely people).  Is this video getting close to the inhalation you are referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutMYpTqLe4

Or is it more of a "Sigh breath"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzew29MBwo
Post Reply Post Reply
Your detail shows a series of Flow Limits followed by a Recovery Breath/arousal, the definition of a RERA. These need to be managed,

It looks like your Flex is set to 1,, Try Flex =2 or 3 if you are comfortable with it. You would do better with a BiLevel with a higher level of pressure support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Hope you don't mind a PM

I was fascinated by your answer here..  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid323333

I'm still trying to learn how to interpret these graphs.

Am I right in thinking the "series of flow limitations" is represented by the "flattened tops" of the flow rate curve?

If not.. what is it you are seeing that tells you that?
Actually yes.
1. AB has a policy of answering therapy questions in the forum.  Exceptions are very rare and would include extremely private personal information.
2. This allows others with the same question to learn
3. And other members will offer corrections if I am wrong, thus providing you with better info.

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=17928 Wrote: ApneaQuestion Is this video getting close to the inhalation you are referring to? pid='323332' dateline='1576111575']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutMYpTqLe4               Yes, this seems right for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzew29MBwo                No, not for me

Those OP spikes occur almost regularly for me at 10-15 minute intervals. They are spaced at nearly the same intervals like telephone poles along a country road. They are rarely associated with any nearby FL. I include an example below and am pleased to see the OP because I have long wondered what explains the spikes. 

[attachment=17929]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2019, 07:46 PM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: Not wanting to make light of your question.... I can't offer any answers.... but as I tried to imagine what you are describing, I couldn't help but think of a Norwegian colleague I once worked with.  (Lovely people).  Is this video getting close to the inhalation you are referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutMYpTqLe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzew29MBwo

Yes, yes! now that you suggest it the Scandinavian inspired "affirmative hhh" is exactly as I imagine these events sound.  I, of course, am asleep when they occur so I can't be sure, but that is what they look like.  I'd add that it is the more astonished/shocked rapid inspire version in the video.  In the FR graph the gasp is only a little longer than the surrounding sleep-breaths yet in this example 1150 ml of air were inspired (assuming the accuracy of the Respironics machine & OSCAR.)

Thank you so very much for youtube clip!  Strangely, I only recollect Scandinavian women using this affirmative, an impression that is reinforced by the Norwegian woman in the youtube.  But then my limited sampling may have been influenced by two Danish sisters-in-law, sadly both deceased.  Perhaps Scandinavian men use this affirmative but less emphatically???? 

obob
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2019, 07:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your close-up graph shows the classic condition for RERA which is an increasing flow limitation followed by a recovery breath or increased flow rate.  While we don't have EEG to show sleep stage, it is safe to say this is very likely an arousal.  The Dreamstation CPAP does not offer much help for this pattern, and a bilevel or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with EPR is a more effective tool as flow limitation is better treated by pressure support than higher pressure.  You would really like an Aircurve 10 Vauto.

Thank you Sleeprider, for your reinforcement of my suspicion that these events have significance.  Next month, after a year on the PR APAP machine (mostly), my sleep clinic doctor has suggested we do an in-clinic sleep test.  I have twice conveyed my conviction to him that I suffer mostly from upper airway flow limitation.   He amiably disagrees; based on a take-home sleep test performed over a year ago he has concluded I have obstructive apnea, but he does make hints that I might do better on a bilevel machine*.  I suppose more to get me out of his office (already 30 minutes over his 15 minute allotment) he suggested the in-clinic test.  
  • Will this test change his mind?  
  • What will he have to do to convince Medicare that I need a bilevel machine?
  • What can I do to change his mind?
obob

* I do, in fact, have a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto machine thanks to much help from members here at AB, and yes, I do like it over the PR APAP.  However, there are several problems.  Briefly:
  •  I'd like to keep getting Medicare support for CPAP, only for the VAUTO instead of the PR APAP, 
  •  It has been difficult to get it fine-tuned while meeting compliance for my PR machine,
  •  For the past 6 months I've suffered increasingly from nasal congestion and am not sure VAuto will be any better than my PR APAP without first successfully addressing that problem????
Post Reply Post Reply
I see just one spike in the recent screenshots. if these are repetitive w fairly uniform intervals, consider the possibility of periodic limb movements.
Post Reply Post Reply
obob, if you have a Vauto and would like to immediately prove your doctor wrong, then let's do a trial on the Vauto and compare. I can give you setting that should be able to give you all the proof you need in less than one week. Read this thread by Car54 and let me know. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...curve-auto
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Mysterious Arousals freakyfrog 7 114 Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,220 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 749 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 700 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,364 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
Sad [CPAP] Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals? Norman2195 5 860 04-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: esleepie
  Mouth Breathing and Spontaneous Arousals Old Mike 24 1,741 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.