Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are my apnea events being accurately recorded?
RE: Are my apnea events being accurately recorded?
If you look at your snore channel a lot of stuff disappeared. Those must really be the respiratory events. Probably need a pencil and calculator to analyze this.
Post Reply Post Reply
So... I had the sleep study.  No one has sent me the actual results yet, but I had an appointment with the cardiologist this morning (not the same person who ordered the sleep study), and while there she mentioned that she saw that I had a sleep study.  When she realized that I hadn't been contacted with the results yet, she seemed hesitant to tell me much (typical attitude of medical people...) but she did say that I have complex sleep apnea, and I asked if my sleep apnea was severe, and she said "yes."

I'll let you all know when I am able to see the actual report.
Post Reply Post Reply
My appointment to go over the results of the sleep study was scheduled for April 19th, but someone just now called me and said it can be done tomorrow at 11am instead.  Does anyone have any suggestions for anything I should keep in mind to ask or mention at the appointment?  And in case I will be ordering a machine or mask at the appointment, are there are suggestions for which machine or mask to request?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Complex Sleep Apnea and over 30 AHI, Complex means a mix of both Obstructive AND Central Apnea.
Your discussion needs to include the ASV machines. likely your doc will balk on that as it is hard to get thru insurance. So you have to ask what do "we" (your doc and you) have to do to get the ASV. Ask if he can prescribe a trial of the ASV at home.

The common path is to Fail on CPAP, Fail on BiLevel with backup, fail on BiLevel with backup again (different machine) then succeed on ASV.
Also you want the ResMed ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are personal, they have to be tried under pressure and in sleeping position.
Oh and ask the doc if he can schedule a titration study (stat) that Includes the ASV, This is to prove efficacy,

Read this http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...P_Machines
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I will definitely mention ASV.

Would it be a good idea for me to mention my experience with the machine I already have, so as to sort of get a head start by revealing the results I have already had (or didn't have) from different pressure settings and such, or would it be risky and problematic to admit that I acquired a cpap before being diagnosed and getting a prescription?

And what would the cost typically be for a Resmed ASV without insurance? If it is something I can afford and if by buying it without bothering with insurance would accelerate my recovery significantly, then it might be worth it to just go ahead and buy it. I sleep so much and am so constantly tired... even a couple weeks of sooner recovery would be worth a lot to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main thing right now is to discuss your results and understand how much is obstructive apnea and how much is central apnea and how doctor believes you should proceed. Depending on the results they may want to start you on a CPAP trial or may recommend a titration study (2nd sleep study while using CPAP). If they don't give it to you ask for a copy of the full sleep study report. Lots of places will try to just give you the 1 page summary but a full report should be multiple pages and have tables of data and charts as well as a summary/interpretation by doctor. Once you get that copy post a redacted version on here (remove personal info) so we can help interpret it.

Right now it is premature to draw conclusions on machine required (ASV etc) but you can go in knowing that if your results indicate a lot of central apnea then a basic CPAP/APAP machine is rarely effective. They probably will want to start you on one anyways (almost always the first step) and based on your improvement in SPO2 with this CPAP it probably is warranted in your case but you can do a bit of information fishing and ask if ASV is something that would be considered and how long you should try the basic machine before they would consider trialing ASV. Some clinics are much more willing to prescribe ASV then others and mostly you would be trying to determine if this clinic is a lost cause if you found out basic CPAP/APAP isn't adequate.

If your results are predominantly obstructive then a basic APAP machine makes the most sense. If that is what they want you to start with try to get a Resmed Autoset. You want APAP instead of fixed pressure and Resmed is better than Philips Respironics imo.

As for mentioning your use of this machine, that is a grey area. Since we aren't certain about how to interpret the data and draw good conclusions from it I think it isn't worth mentioning. Imo all this test really did was prove that your SPO2 improves with CPAP which just supports whatever trial the doctor wants to proceed with.

Cost for ASV units has been ridiculous since the PR recall. Refurbished currently around $2,500, new/open box $3,500, maybe get lucky and find a used one for more reasonable. If your central apnea is that significant it may warrant some further testing anyways so I wouldn't jump to buying a machine until you at least gave basic APAP a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2022, 01:37 PM)vontheri Wrote: ...but she did say that I have complex sleep apnea...

Complex sleep apnea (aka "treatment-emergent central sleep apnea") always appears after the application of xPAP so it would seem that you must have had a "split-study" where they tried xPAP of some sort.

That said, the inventors of CompSAS, Thomas and Gilmartin, in 2005 stated

"Complex sleep-disordered breathing is a distinct form of sleep apnea. It has recognizable characteristics that are present without, and often worsened during, positive airway pressure treatment."

Looking forward to clarification.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pardon my premature discussion of the need to discuss ASV with your doctor when your your recent sleep test makes it obvious that central apnea is involved.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2022, 09:03 AM)Gideon Wrote: Pardon my premature discussion of the need to discuss ASV with your doctor when your your recent sleep test makes it obvious that central apnea is involved.

Actually it is not obvious that central apnea is involved.  Unless they did a split study (and hey maybe they did) they can't even say CompSAS.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 352 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 178 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.