Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are naps encouraged??
Are naps encouraged??
The first sleep doctor I had 'strongly' discouraged napping during the day. He claimed it spoiled the possibility of having a good night's sleep. I rarely nap during the day, but some days I sure wish I could. Please share your opinion as I don't have any family or friends that use a cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are naps encouraged??
Only while watching a ball game with the remote in your hand.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Grammabear, I don't think it hurts to have short nap if you feel you need it as long as you can still sleep all night and as long as you wear your CPAP while napping. If it makes you feel better, go for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GrammaBear,
I rarely take naps but when I do takeone, I always mask up and use mymachine.
I don't like to take naps but sometimes, if I don't sleep good the night before, I'll take one.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If I am sleepy, I take a nap but never without using the machine. There are some nights that I only sleep a little over 4 hours or wake up and stay awake a while. Then I am sleepy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pft, do what you need to feel rested.

Taking naps can disrupt your regular sleeping pattern, unless taking a nap is part of that pattern. If the rest of your "sleep hygiene" is good, then a nap now and then won't hurt anything. Your sleep doc lives in a fantasy world where patients are all obedient, I mean compliant and does whatever he says.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Grammabear, I take a nap almost every afternoon after lunch or when I feel sleepy. It does not seem to affect my sleep at night unless it is too long. Usually my nap lasts an hour and I wake up charged for the rest of the day and evening. Go ahead and nap but make sure you use your CPAP each time. Experiment. Try an hour nap when needed and see if it affects your ability to sleep well at night. I believe a nap in moderation is a good thing especially as you get older.
Post Reply Post Reply
My recliner has a nap drug in it on Sunday afternoons. Usually get about a half hour nap when I am reading something in advance of my Sunday night class. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor never said one way or another about naps. Me, I am very PRO nap. I love them. I just woke up from a 50 minute nap, my AHI was 0.0 with no events, I started dreaming in 5 minutes and it felt like 4 hours when I woke up. Felt refreshed and ready for the second half of the day Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I didnt need a nap most most afternoons because I am always tired and if I fight it for a few days then it affects my nighttime sleeps and then I crash for days where I cant stay awake. I tried to keep to a maximum of two hours but sometimes it can it can be well over two hours where I struggle to wake up.
Dee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Afternoon Naps rkashyap 10 1,437 12-17-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  AHI less than 2, but still tired when wake up in the morning. Feel good after naps. ChinaMan 14 3,649 12-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: SleepyTexasGirl
  Avoiding Naps Helpful? ronlecroy 7 1,659 08-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Do naps count toward compliance? pinetree 9 2,409 08-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Naps IowaMC60 5 1,581 10-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Admin Note] Rules clarification - posting text of outside articles is encouraged SuperSleeper 2 1,503 12-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Thumbsup The Joy of Naps eviltim 8 3,740 01-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Last Post: eviltim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.