Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are nasal masks as good as ffm at reporting apneas
RE: Are nasal masks as good as ffm at reporting apneas
(04-11-2016, 01:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Also, do not form a conclusion on a single night's worth of data or experience. You need to gather one or both for at least a week or more.

You are right. Last night AHI was .21 at pressure 10.
First half the night I used the wisp= no events.
Second half I used the dreamwear = 2 CA events.
Tomorrow it will have been a week using nasal masks dropping pressure from 13 to 10 and dropping EPR to one.
My wife was gone during this time and I was off work, so I slept from 10pm till 8:30 instead of the normal 10pm till 5:30.
I have lost 5 lbs for no other reason than longer and a little better sleep. I didn't want to say anything about the weight loss until I was sure it wasn't just water fluctuation.
I tried all kinds of ways to loose weight with no results, I gained 15lbs since starting CPAP 6 months ago. I had given up.
I read a hundred times how important sleep was to weight loss, and I believe it.
It seems I am sleeping more sound with the lower pressure.
Going to wait another week to drop to 9 and turn EPR off if AHI stays low.
This is why one night in a sleep study is only a starting point.
If my DR would have prescribed APAP I could probably have figured this out in the first month.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed multiple things that can change your apnea. one is you stopped drinking, that alone is huge. Alcohol can cause Apnea to be really bad as well as cause shallow breathing. This is probably the main reason for this change. I can see that your machine checks for AHI so does it track the pressure in Sleepy head? If so you may notice it being adjusted down over the course of the night, mine has been doing this as I too have been getting no events shown. I have noticed that the machine has been reducing the pressure as the night goes on. If this is the case maybe you don't need a high pressure anymore sense you stopped drinking, hech maybe youi don't need CPAP anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2016, 12:39 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: I have noticed multiple things that can change your apnea. one is you stopped drinking, that alone is huge. Alcohol can cause Apnea to be really bad as well as cause shallow breathing. This is probably the main reason for this change. I can see that your machine checks for AHI so does it track the pressure in Sleepy head? If so you may notice it being adjusted down over the course of the night, mine has been doing this as I too have been getting no events shown. I have noticed that the machine has been reducing the pressure as the night goes on. If this is the case maybe you don't need a high pressure anymore sense you stopped drinking, hech maybe youi don't need CPAP anymore.

I have been tracking on sleepyhead. My machine is straight CPAP.
The giving up drinking was the big change, I was drinking heavily and when I went to bed it was like being sedated.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2016, 01:36 PM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I was drinking heavily and when I went to bed it was like being sedated.
Alcohol is a sedative. It wasn't like you were being sedated, you were being sedated. Trouble is, if you need a sedative, alcohol is about the worst one ever. Good for you for stopping.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought maybe I didn't need cpap since giving up alcohol. I slowly reduced pressure. Looks like I need it. When I got to 10, I started getting breathing patterns like the attachment. I went back to pressure 11 and it smoothed out.
I am starting to finally sleep better with lower pressure and a Dreamwear mask.
I experimented with EPR, but found the best sleep for me is pressure 11 with EPR set to 3.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 303 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.