Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are nasal masks as good as ffm at reporting apneas
Are nasal masks as good as ffm at reporting apneas
For the last 4 nights I have been using nasal masks (dreamwear 2 nights and wisp the other 2) my AHI has been 00 .10 00 .09. Before I was using a FFM and AHIs were good but not this good. I have turned down pressure to 11, my RX is for 16. (I think eliminating alcohol has allowed for the reduction).
With the nasal masks I have found the only way to keep my mouth shut is with a 4" piece of sports tape across my mouth, the chin straps don't work 100% of the time and it's uncomfortable. The tape works for me.
I am wondering if breathing through my mouth with FFM causes throat to close and results in a higher AHI or are the nasal masks not as good at reporting AhIs. The tape forces me to nose breathe only.
I am going to lower pressure again to 10 and keep going until I get bad results.
This makes me wonder if I could force myself to nose breathe, would I be able to get rid of the mask, or would it be dangerous to sleep with tape over the mouth and no mask.
How low should I go on the pressure before trying no mask assuming my AHIs stay close to zero?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are nasal masks as good as ffm at reporting apneas
I suggest you use a chin strap if you want to test without the CPAP mask and flow generator. I also suggest that you get and wear a recording oximeter to make sure your O2 level is staying within reasonable bounds.

There is no reason to tape your mouth in absence of flow generator pressure, so a chin strap will be fine.

It is generally accepted that a nasal mask will allow reducing the therapy pressure as much as 3 cm H2O.

Furthermore, some folks can escape using CPAP by taking care to not sleep in the supine position and at the same time encouraging nasal breathing as much as possible, even using internal nasal devices or adhesive strips.

All such tests should be judged by how well you feel and how well your O2 levels are maintained. You can have disruptive apnea events without O2 deprivation so it alone isn't completely accurate in indicating how well you are resting but it can still be helpful as an indicator of how well your particular testing is working withing safe bounds.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I think any mask which pulls our lower jaw back toward our throat (like Full Face, hybrid and Total Face masks do) will tend to pull our tongue back toward the throat, which may increase our pressure needs to some degree, as well as could gradually cause jaw problems.

The dental appliances for treating very mild OSA work partly on the principle of holding the jaw in a forward position, which tends to help the tongue stay away from the throat.

I use a FFM because my pressure needs are very high, I'm a mouth breather, and I have narrow nasal passages which are a little hard to breathe through.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard a number of comments from people that had lower pressure needs with a nasal or pillow mask presumably because the jaw's pushed back with a ffm, as vsheline alludes.

since switching to a pillow mask, I sometimes wake up and find my lower teeth forward of my uppers, kind of giving me an underbite, but that would tend to open up the throat more, and could lower pressure needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have about the same AHI with my Simplus as with my Nuance pillows.

I am not a believer that an FFM will push the jaw back far enough (or at all) to make a difference in the AHI. The masks do not sit on just the jaw. When sitting correctly, pressure is the same across the entire seal. If a FFM is so tight across the chin that the jaw is pushed back so far it is contributing to the OI, then it is too tight.

When I wore a chin strap, it did feel as if my jaw was being forced back. However, my AHI was low because of the lower leaks from lip leaking.

With nasal pillows and without a chin strap, my jaw tends to fall too far forward, pushing my lower teeth against my upper teeth. It is very uncomfortable and has made my lower teeth loose.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2016, 11:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I have about the same AHI with my Simplus as with my Nuance pillows.

I am not a believer that an FFM will push the jaw back far enough (or at all) to make a difference in the AHI. The masks do not sit on just the jaw. When sitting correctly, pressure is the same across the entire seal. If a FFM is so tight across the chin that the jaw is pushed back so far it is contributing to the OI, then it is too tight.

I respectfully disagree, based on many comments I've read, and personal experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is some oversimplification in both schools of thought. Two things come to mind immediately.The first is that the lower seal is not completely on just the chin, and the other parts of the face that it rests on depend on whether the user sleeps with their mouth open a little or completely closed. Secondly the portion of the inflatable seal that goes across the chin has no stiffener like other parts of the seal, which makes it softer and more compliant putting less force on the jaw.

I went from a nasal mask (not nasal pillows) to a FFM and reduced my AHI and the nasal mask can not put any pressure on my lower jaw because it was worn properly.

There have also been a fair number of people who have gone from a nasal mask to nasal pillows and reported a reduction in AHI!! I think there is something to the nasal pillows but I do not think that it is solely pressure on the lower jaw.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 10:58 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: It is generally accepted that a nasal mask will allow reducing the therapy pressure as much as 3 cm H2O.

Dude

I only got down to pressure 10 from 13 and Ahi started to go up, 1.7 last night
!3 was my best pressure with FFM, and 11 is my best pressure with pillows, so I believe your statement is right about reducing pressure with nasal masks.
I also think that anyway a person can keep from mouth breathing will help AHIs.
Post Reply Post Reply
When wearing a FFM, the mouth breathing does not matter. It is why you are wearing it. You are still maintaining the Constant Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP).

Also, do not form a conclusion on a single night's worth of data or experience. You need to gather one or both for at least a week or more.

I look forward to reading how it goes for you!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, regarding FFMs and lower jaw pressure.

I tried a quick test with my Mirage Quattro. I put the mask on my face and pushed it very hard into my face- pushing at both lower corners of the mask. The mask did not push my jaw back at all and I only felt a little added pressure against my jaw and this was without tensing my jaw at all.

Of course, this may not hold true for all FFMs.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 605 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.