Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are our children really sleeping well
Are our children really sleeping well
We had some friends over a few weeks ago and all have sons who are friends with our boy. The subject of sleep came up and couple of parents said their sons were just not acting right, which immediately perked mine and my wifes ears up. We started asking the typical questions of OSA and ended up recommending both the boys get sleep studies. Turns out both had severe OSA despite being in excellent physical shape for wrestling and track and field. Both dropped their oxygen levels bad enough they were put on CPAP during the study and it turned into a split study for both. One has since embraced his CPAP machine and the other is having issues getting used to the mask and the pressure but we keep telling his parents it will get better with time and patience. I just wonder if this issue should be addressed in the school, educate kids on when they need to tell their parents they are having issues. I bet more kids are out there that have no idea and parents who probably think their kid is on drugs because their child is a zombie. Really makes you wonder.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are our children really sleeping well
(03-10-2015, 12:10 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: We had some friends over a few weeks ago and all have sons who are friends with our boy. The subject of sleep came up and couple of parents said their sons were just not acting right, which immediately perked mine and my wifes ears up. We started asking the typical questions of OSA and ended up recommending both the boys get sleep studies. Turns out both had severe OSA despite being in excellent physical shape for wrestling and track and field. Both dropped their oxygen levels bad enough they were put on CPAP during the study and it turned into a split study for both. One has since embraced his CPAP machine and the other is having issues getting used to the mask and the pressure but we keep telling his parents it will get better with time and patience. I just wonder if this issue should be addressed in the school, educate kids on when they need to tell their parents they are having issues. I bet more kids are out there that have no idea and parents who probably think their kid is on drugs because their child is a zombie. Really makes you wonder.

This is a subject very close to my heart. We have a granddaughter exhibiting the same symptoms and behaviors. A most difficult child, she is experiencing learning difficulties as well as behavioral problems. I have suggested to her mother that Jessica attend a sleep lab. for a polysomnograph, but so far her mother, our daughter, has not done so. It's not so much she refuses, but more that doctors fill her head with other notions of of syndromes which allow the doctors to prescribe drugs & other treatments. If anyone reading this reply has any ideas or stories about the problem of SDB in the young & very young, that they think may help, Please, I would love to hear from you
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
woozie it sounds like your granddaughter needs a new doctor
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe on some other planet in some future time enlightened physicians will stop considering kids "Ritilan deficient" and actually start testing and treating them appropriately. But then, it's still a little rare for many physicians to consider sleep apnea as being a big problem for old fat people. Like me. Well, old maybe, but fat? I have the same svelte figure I had in high school. Plus about 80 lbs of course.

This stuff is inheritable. I know my dad had it although he was never diagnosed. I know I have had symptoms for most of my life. I suspect, although I don't really know, it could be the explanation behind the mystery of crib-death, which took my son.

Kids could adapt to therapy much easier than us old folks because kids adapt to anything easier than us old folks.

The problem with sleep apnea is it is cumbersome and expensive to diagnose. With all the marvelous achievements we have made in micro-surgeries, cancer treatments, etc,, sleep apnea is still dependent on an overnight stay someplace with lots of wires dangling from your head. You would think they would have thought up an easier way by now.

Maybe someday, on some other planet....
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 04:17 PM)woozie38 Wrote: This is a subject very close to my heart. We have a granddaughter exhibiting the same symptoms and behaviors. A most difficult child, she is experiencing learning difficulties as well as behavioral problems. I have suggested to her mother that Jessica attend a sleep lab. for a polysomnograph, but so far her mother, our daughter, has not done so. It's not so much she refuses, but more that doctors fill her head with other notions of of syndromes which allow the doctors to prescribe drugs & other treatments. If anyone reading this reply has any ideas or stories about the problem of SDB in the young & very young, that they think may help, Please, I would love to hear from you

Maybe Lyme infections?
Post Reply Post Reply
Wish you'd been around when I was a kid. I remarked in another thread but when I was a teen I would regularly sleep over at friends houses, invariably I would get remarks about snoring &etc, but nobody around me put it together. I guessed I had sleep apnea based on internet research, and I was right. Could've saved a lot of heartache if the adults in my life had been aware and proactive about it.

I think we'll get to a point where sleep studies are considered important and preventative...just like colonoscopies & mammograms for at-risk groups of people.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 06:10 PM)eviltim Wrote: Wish you'd been around when I was a kid. I remarked in another thread but when I was a teen I would regularly sleep over at friends houses, invariably I would get remarks about snoring &etc, but nobody around me put it together. I guessed I had sleep apnea based on internet research, and I was right. Could've saved a lot of heartache if the adults in my life had been aware and proactive about it.

I think we'll get to a point where sleep studies are considered important and preventative...just like colonoscopies & mammograms for at-risk groups of people.

Possibly Lyme disease infections, but that syndrome covers such a multitude of ailments it's very hard to be sure, & there's no precise diagnosis for Lyme in AU. It's the same for CFS - "If no other cause can be found".

I agree with Tim, PSG's should be mandatory for all infants, & perhaps for all teenagers. Just as the triple antigen (measles, whooping cough, & diphtheria) shots are here.
Post Reply Post Reply
eviltim trust me between my sleep apnea and cpap and my sons with BiPap, we kinda have become experts on the matter.......lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 04:17 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(03-10-2015, 12:10 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: We had some friends over a few weeks ago and all have sons who are friends with our boy. The subject of sleep came up and couple of parents said their sons were just not acting right, which immediately perked mine and my wifes ears up. We started asking the typical questions of OSA and ended up recommending both the boys get sleep studies. Turns out both had severe OSA despite being in excellent physical shape for wrestling and track and field. Both dropped their oxygen levels bad enough they were put on CPAP during the study and it turned into a split study for both. One has since embraced his CPAP machine and the other is having issues getting used to the mask and the pressure but we keep telling his parents it will get better with time and patience. I just wonder if this issue should be addressed in the school, educate kids on when they need to tell their parents they are having issues. I bet more kids are out there that have no idea and parents who probably think their kid is on drugs because their child is a zombie. Really makes you wonder.

This is a subject very close to my heart. We have a granddaughter exhibiting the same symptoms and behaviors. A most difficult child, she is experiencing learning difficulties as well as behavioral problems. I have suggested to her mother that Jessica attend a sleep lab. for a polysomnograph, but so far her mother, our daughter, has not done so. It's not so much she refuses, but more that doctors fill her head with other notions of of syndromes which allow the doctors to prescribe drugs & other treatments. If anyone reading this reply has any ideas or stories about the problem of SDB in the young & very young, that they think may help, Please, I would love to hear from you

Geoff,

As one who has sleep apnea and a learning disorder, please be persistent in encouraging the mother to not take no for an answer. If your granddaughter has sleep apnea, the combination of it being untreated on top of the learning disorder could be horrific cognitively. I don't mean to use scare tactics but because I have not been able to stay asleep on the pap machine (hopefully having a septoplasty will improve things), my cognition has suffered big time. I definitely don't want to see a kid go through what I have experienced when it is so treatable.

And for you all know, if your granddaughter does have sleep apnea and gets treated, it might wipe out symptoms of the LD if that is the result of the apnea. Hard to say and obviously, I can't make promises.

But I do know that if your granddaughter is put on drugs instead of being treated for the apnea that it sounds like she has, she will be hurting big time. Please don't let that happen.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
49er,

I agree whole heartedly, & will do all I can to see the PSG gets done. But it's not my choice and all I can do is apply pressure for it to happen. All SDB sufferers know the difficulties faced as adults but in the young - less than 10 years - it has to border on catastrophic.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 459 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.