Are over the counter sleep aids safe when on xPAP?
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Are over the counter sleep aids safe when on xPAP?
Valerian, for those who tolerate it, is effective and common here, with no strong side effects - 40 drops of the titrate in some water is the normal dosage here. However, do not mix with anything else, as the titrate has an alcohol base. Warm milk works almost as well, believe it or not.
02-03-2015 03:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(02-03-2015 03:17 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Valerian, for those who tolerate it, is effective and common here, with no strong side effects - 40 drops of the titrate in some water is the normal dosage here. However, do not mix with anything else, as the titrate has an alcohol base. Warm milk works almost as well, believe it or not.

The main drawback of Valerian for me is it's gawd-awful taste and smell.Unsure

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
02-03-2015 06:00 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

You drink it like a shot, so it isn't sooooo bad. The actual bad taste is the brandy being adulterated by the flower, but you get used to it. Again, the advantages are that it is non-addictive, and very mild. Take the shot, and turn off the lights to let it do its job - if you try and read or remain active, it won't work.

Here it is called Baldrian, and it is a standard, we even use it in the hospital to help the patients sleep the night before surgery, which gives you an idea how safe we consider it.
02-03-2015 09:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Jim Bronson Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Many of the OTC sleep aids contain diphenhydramine as the active ingredient. It is an antihistimine whose side effect is drowsiness. I believe it is generally considered safe. I've used it occasionally with no problems. I've read that it becomes ineffective after three or four days of continuous use.
02-03-2015 10:03 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

Jim, I would not advise that route. In fact, I strongly urge you not to use that method.
02-04-2015 06:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(02-04-2015 06:13 AM)DocWils Wrote:  Jim, I would not advise that route. In fact, I strongly urge you not to use that method.

Doc, I occasionally use Ibuprofen PM (which has diphenhydramine as a sleep aide) about once or twice per week using the recommended dosage before bedtime (two caplets, which contain 200 mg of Ibuprofen and 38 mg of diphenhydramine citrate in each caplet).

Am I exposing myself to great risk by doing so, and if so, what is it about diphenhydramine that concerns you?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

02-04-2015 01:18 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Other Comments:

The problem is the antihistamine effect - there is a known blow-back after three or four days usage once one stops the usage (hence the warning on the package to discontinue using after three days), causing a histaminic reaction, the mildest version being excess mucous in the nasal passages, the more extreme being, well, nothing life threatening, but it can get unpleasant and chronic - inflated thoracic mucous, puffy eyes, headaches, constipation, excessive fluid retention followed by strong drainage. This is a yo-yo effect and can, if used too often, start to produce chronic conditions, ranging from rhinitis to a chronic cough on upwards. So, as a regular sleep aid it ain't a great idea - every now and again, okay, but frankly, hot milk or a toddy will do the same job more safely and be more fun. A big part of what what you need to help you sleep is time, actually, and relaxing rituals that also have positive chemical production like hot milk or toddies will actually produce a better and more positive sleep, with more non-REM dreaming (positive dreams) than REM dreaming (which produce negative dreams - interesting science, dream science - some new and exciting stuff coming out these days).

For people who already are suffering from depressed respiration problems like apnoea, this is simply not a great solution, not for when one is using it, but for the blow-back after one stops using it and the risk of chronic blow-back if one is a regular user.

The Ibuprofen I assume you are taking against pain, and that is fine. The odd Ibp PM dosage is fine too, but not as a regular sleep potion. Don't mix Ibuprofen with heart aspirin, btw; don't mix any pain killers or anti-prostaglandins with cardiac aspirin - if you need to take the one, leave off the other for the night - the low dose aspirin will be sort of covered by the much stronger pain killers, and you will avoid unfortunate interactions or bleeding risks.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 02:23 PM by DocWils.)
02-04-2015 02:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

I find that using 5 mg. of Melatonin, on nights when sleep won't come, works for me.

Coffee
02-04-2015 03:06 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Thanks guys. I've taken Melatonin in the past, but for some reason it almost always raises my AHI by 2-3 points. It's just odd, not sure why.

I only take the Ibruprofen PM once or twice a week and it actually seems to lower my AHI, but I guess I can try hot milk instead. Can't hurt!

Thanks!

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

02-04-2015 06:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mike91326 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 15

Other Comments:

I like the warm milk idea. I assume that any milk will work (non-fat, 2%, etc). About how much do you need to drink for it to be effective?

Of course you could always add a shot of brandy or whiskey. :-)
02-04-2015 07:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  xpap treatment for pulmonary arterial hypertension- right ventricular dysfunction 0rangebear 0 112 11-12-2016 06:10 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  ResMed 10 - DISHWASHER SAFE Humidifier Padre_StevieJ 5 1,105 10-05-2016 11:03 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Equipment] Changing setting on Remstar Auto A-Flex? Safe to do? pwynnnorman 5 492 07-23-2016 06:50 AM
Last Post: pwynnnorman
  xPAP in Summer - air conditioned bedroom more important? green wings 16 818 04-24-2016 09:09 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  Humidifiers not safe - seriously? FrankNichols 40 2,548 04-20-2016 10:03 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
Question Would like to hear how xPAP use has affected your blood pressure green wings 8 821 02-23-2016 10:02 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  XPAP Tips Thread player 1 432 01-25-2016 04:32 AM
Last Post: player