Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are over the counter sleep aids safe when on xPAP?
Are over the counter sleep aids safe when on xPAP?
I normally don't have a problem falling and staying asleep but over the last couple of weeks I’ve had a hard time falling asleep and it is starting to affect my work during the day.
In the past I’ve had issues with anxiety and panic attacks that were treated with Paxil. After many years on Paxil, and with doctor guidance, I slowly lowered my 40mg dose to zero early last year. Unfortunately, last summer my mother-in-law was found to have cancer and she passed away this last December. The anxiety is now back and my doctor has put me back on Paxil at 10mg. I was told that we need to build up the dose over a number of weeks.
So until the Paxil is at a level to stop my anxiety and let me sleep I need some help. Are over-the-counter sleep aids, like Advil PM, safe to use when you are on xPAP?
Last week I tried a glass of wine before bed and while I slept my AHI went from a normal 1-2 to 7-8.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are over the counter sleep aids safe when on xPAP?
(02-02-2015, 03:52 PM)Mike91326 Wrote: I normally don't have a problem falling and staying asleep but over the last couple of weeks I’ve had a hard time falling asleep and it is starting to affect my work during the day.

Well, my respirologist says "no" to any sleep medication. I must admit that I haven't been entirely compliant with this instruction. You might give one a try and see what happens with your AHI. Mine stayed below 1 last night when I took a "back" pill, so I conclude that it might be OK for me. When I get a chance I'll discuss it with my doctor. I am always quite highly strung by bed time.

I am not a Doctor and I don't play one on T.V.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
might try a low dose of benedryl, it makes you sleepy and i have never seen anyone say its bad for PAPers

--IANAD
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mike91326,
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think an OTC sleep aid would hurt you but hang in there for other suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The safety of a lot of sleep aids is questionable even without CPAP. In particular read the labels carefully about interactions with other drugs, medical conditions and alcohol.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
you might try somnapure it's sad to be all natural and I suggest that all natural still needs to be watched for the ingredients because they can interact with other medication but many people light this over the counter sleep aid and say it works great you can get it at Walmart for sure I have been told
Post Reply Post Reply
When I don't think I will sleep well, I will take only one Tylenol PM; sometimes a half, and a regular Tylenol. Helps me sleep, and be relatively pain free for the night. It does make me groggy in to morning, though; extra cup of coffee.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 08:32 PM)me50 Wrote: you might try somnapure it's sad to be all natural and I suggest that all natural still needs to be watched for the ingredients because they can interact with other medication but many people light this over the counter sleep aid and say it works great you can get it at Walmart for sure I have been told

+1 for Somnapure, It helped me get off my Lorazepam and Benadryl. After my 1st week on cpap I was able to get off everything, now I sleep like a baby Smile, I feel for you I had a sleep anxiety Issue for about 8 weeks before starting cpap.
Wishing you well!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 09:34 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: +1 for Somnapure, It helped me get off my Lorazepam and Benadryl. After my 1st week on cpap I was able to get off everything, now I sleep like a baby Smile, I feel for you I had a sleep anxiety Issue for about 8 weeks before starting cpap.
Wishing you well!

"Somnapure" has multiple ingredients and some of them are known central depressants (Valerian, Hops, Passion flower) and should be used only carefully if you have apnea.

I am not a doctor but I always view with suspicion remedies that contain a large number of ingredients like this one does, "natural" or not. Multiple drug interactions cannot be ruled out.

For instance Valerian and Hops do not occur "naturally" in the same plant. Putting them both in a single pill is hardly "natural".

Would you take a "natural" remedy containing Deadly Nightshade?

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2015, 10:24 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(02-02-2015, 09:34 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: +1 for Somnapure, It helped me get off my Lorazepam and Benadryl. After my 1st week on cpap I was able to get off everything, now I sleep like a baby Smile, I feel for you I had a sleep anxiety Issue for about 8 weeks before starting cpap.
Wishing you well!

"Somnapure" has multiple ingredients and some of them are known central depressants (Valerian, Hops, Passion flower) and should be used only carefully if you have apnea.

I am not a doctor but I always view with suspicion remedies that contain a large number of ingredients like this one does, "natural" or not. Multiple drug interactions cannot be ruled out.

For instance Valerian and Hops do not occur "naturally" in the same plant. Putting them both in a single pill is hardly "natural".

Would you take a "natural" remedy containing Deadly Nightshade?

Wow! good thing I started cpap so I could get off of that non natural pill, I find I don't need anything now, Good to know but I will say that stuff made me sleepy good or bad.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  sleep aids Bluesv6 13 1,014 03-11-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.