Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are the Stats in SH too good?
Are the Stats in SH too good?
Hi Gents/Ladies,

I was diagnose with severe OSA with 66.7 AHI but since using the 3 diff machine (PRS-1 Auto CPAP, PRS-1 BiPAP Auto, DreamStation BiPAP Auto) over 3 weeks, the AHI has dropped to 2.5 for day 1 and to below 0.9 after.   Majority of the mornings are awesome but some days were with headaches but score remain below 0.9.   Interestingly, I started to observed CA occasionally which wasn't detected during the sleep test Thinking-about

Are the results too good to be true?      Anyway for me to validate the accuracy (apart from a sleep test)?

Thank you,
Roy
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are the Stats in SH too good?
I am not an expert but I have read that sumtimes that cas could go away after your body gets use to pap. Try posting with sleephead. Infomation on how is in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every night is different.
Your sleep study could have been on a "very bad" night, or perhaps you are responding very well to therapy.

Sleepyhead is not "scoring" your AHI, it is reading data from your machine and reporting it. I do a quick check of my screen when I shut the machine off in the morning, and it *generally* matches SH... by "generally" I mean the machine reports AHI in X.X while SH reports X.XX, so often my machine will report 0.0, while SH will report 0.09... it does not seem like the machine rounds up. That happens to be exactly what happened Sunday... 10hr 49 minutes and one OA shortly before I got up.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Roy, it is very common for someone diagnosed with severe obstructive apnea to be fully treated to levels consistently less than 2 AHI and frequently less than 1.0. Once the airway is patent, the events just don't occur, and you may eventually experience even lower event rates. CA events are common in all people and can be as simple as rolling over in your sleep and holding your breath. You can check the events, and many will be at the very minimum 10 second duration. These are nothing to worry about. In some individuals, BiPAP therapy with higher pressure support can increase CA events by reducing CO2 and affecting the respiratory drive. I doubt that is your issue.

You can validate the results by zooming in on the flow rate graph where you can see a record of every breath. If you don't see periods of flat-line apnea or diminished respiratory flow/volume then your results are real...no need for a confirming sleep study.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2017, 10:31 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Roy, it is very common for someone diagnosed with severe obstructive apnea to be fully treated to levels consistently less than 2 AHI and frequently less than 1.0.  Once the airway is patent, the events just don't occur, and you may eventually experience even lower event rates.  CA events are common in all people and can be as simple as rolling over in your sleep and holding your breath.  You can check the events, and many will be at the very minimum 10 second duration.  These are nothing to worry about.  In some individuals, BiPAP therapy with higher pressure support can increase CA events by reducing CO2 and affecting the respiratory drive.  I doubt that is your issue.

You can validate the results by zooming in on the flow rate graph where you can see a record of every breath.  If you don't see periods of flat-line apnea or diminished respiratory flow/volume then your results are real...no need for a confirming sleep study.

Thanks for the tip!   Zooming in really help revel a lot of details - now it is for me to try to understand them like

I did feel better after using the machines, in fact I felt like superman in the first week on the auto cpap but from middle of week 2 onwards, my body seems to have adjusted and normalized the effects from increased airflow(from SH) and likely oxygen.   I am ordering a CMS 50D+ to confirm if the latter is true.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding headaches...

You might check on the position of your neck, shoulders, and upper back. These can get stretched or inhibited while you’re asleep, and can give you a goshawful headache. This is a muscular issue, not strictly a breathing issue.

The odds of this happening may be directly proportional to how much time you spent on the computer the day before.

You could check if it’s a muscular issue by applying heat (like with a hot water bottle) and seeing if the headache backs off.

You could try moving your pillows around or a special pillow designed to put a little traction in the neck. Some folks on this forum swear by buckwheat pillows (ask Kiwii, who doesn’t swear but raves).

You may also want to check if it’s a problem of low blood sugar or caffeine deprivation. Does a glass of orange juice fix the headache? How about a cup of coffee?

The problem could be all of the above.

I frequently suffer from headaches right before I’m fully awake and into the morning. Like today. Last Christmas the gift I gave myself was one of those buckwheat/rice neck thingies you put in the microwave. I go through stretches where I use it every morning when I first get up. Wondrous.

I’m working on the coffee and orange juice as we speak.

There might be low oxygen issues as well, but I’ll be figuring those out in the next month or two.

My message? Think more broadly about how your headaches might be caused, and not just about sleep breathing issues. This might explain why the headaches don’t seem to be correlated with the AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add to what HalfAsleep said - I recently discovered that some of my headaches were being caused by a too-small mask cushion.  When I had my mask fitting at the DME, I was on the border between small and medium, and chose small because I was worried about leaks.  After 4 months of getting headaches in spite of low AHI, and constantly tweaking machine settings, I realized that after I fell asleep, the small size mask was putting pressure on the bridge of my nose and causing sinus-type headaches that would sometimes last all day.  I recently switched to a medium cushion, and no more headaches.  I also have sleep position/neck issues that I suspect cause headaches, and am currently trialing a buckwheat pillow.  So, yes - it is good to look beyond just the machine and its settings when problem solving.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 109 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 141 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 340 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 771 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 339 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,113 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 404 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.