Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are the filters necessary?
Are the filters necessary?
I've wondered about this for a long time. For years I've breathed the air in my bedroom all night and been okay. My wife breathes it too. We live in Maine, not LA so I'm not worried about the air. My cpap machine has a 'coarse' filter and a 'fine' filter. I've always used to coarse filter as it at least keeps a fly or spider from crawling into the machine, I've never used the fine filter.

Question: If the air is the regular air of our bedroom and anyone there breathes it in all the time, why do cpap users have to have filtering for the same air? For better air flow I'd be satisfied with a small open netting sort of filter.

Is there some reason that I'm not seeing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are the filters necessary?
The filter not only improves air quality, but also prevents foreign substances from damaging or reducing the life of your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
the filters are there to protect the machine not you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I lightly spray both sides of the filter in my machine with a touch of my wife's hairspray. That makes it even more efficient.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
It is easy to find out if if a fine filter would be needed or not. Just use one for a month and see what shows up on it.
I live in a high desert valley in western Colorado. After a month my fine filter is a dark gray instead of white when it was put in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had my machine since last Sept. 10th. I've cleaned the filter in it maybe a handful of times. It's never been anywhere near being discolored when I do. 

My machine rests on a 4-drawer file cabinet, that is about the same height of our bed. The file cabinet sits in a corner of our bedroom, literally. 

I don't know for sure if that has a bearing on just how dirty the filter may or may not get. We have wood floors and my machine is far away from any foot traffic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2019, 03:08 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I've had my machine since last Sept. 10th. I've cleaned the filter in it maybe a handful of times. It's never been anywhere near being discolored when I do. 

My machine rests on a 4-drawer file cabinet, that is about the same height of our bed. The file cabinet sits in a corner of our bedroom, literally. 

I don't know for sure if that has a bearing on just how dirty the filter may or may not get. We have wood floors and my machine is far away from any foot traffic.

Same here, in two years I've rinsed out the filter three times. It doesn't seem to change. I didn't realize that the it was to protect the machine mechanism. It all makes more sense now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2019, 03:13 PM)DanGagner Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 03:08 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I've had my machine since last Sept. 10th. I've cleaned the filter in it maybe a handful of times. It's never been anywhere near being discolored when I do. 

Same here, in two years I've rinsed out the filter three times. It doesn't seem to change. I didn't realize that the it was to protect the machine mechanism. It all makes more sense now.

Yes, when someone says their filter was really dirty or badly discolored, I have to wonder what is going on?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2019, 03:51 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Yes, when someone says their filter was really dirty or badly discolored, I have to wonder what is going on?

It's just a matter of how much dust there is in the air.  I've never seen a home in which surfaces don't get dusty over time. The same dust accumulates on your CPAP filter. If you leave it long enough it will accumulate some visible dust just like your furnace filter.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You could almost get by without the filters, however, if you saw inside the machine and saw just how much dust collects on the fan blades you would be horrified!  If you put a small strobe light in the room it might just surprise you just how much air is constantly moving towards the machine (and dust).  Remember one thing, the machine is constantly pulling air into the machine, when you breath the air goes in both directions, in when you breath and out when you breath out, but the machine is pulling in all the time as the air breathed out goes out through the mask.
Make up your own mind if you need a filter or not based on this.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 85 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 835 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 395 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,467 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 828 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 507 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 526 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.