Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are there standard fluctuations in AHI readings?
RE: Are there standard fluctuations in AHI readings?
(09-09-2017, 10:58 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Set your pressure to 17cm like Sleeprider mentioned and see if that does it.

I will do this.  Going to the resmed section to learn how to do this.  Always thought that the doctor had to do that.  It seemed that both the respiratory therapist and the doctors' office were upset that I had solid numbers from my machine, and immediately asked where I had obtained this information.  I was always led to believe that anything to do with my machine had to be done by doctors orders.  Because I wasn't getting proper treatment, my psychologist suggested changing doctors, which I just did.  Sort of the same thing...both professionals never listened to me that the machine wasn't working the way it used to. I also had the wrong hose for the machine, which we fixed with no change in treatment, just easier to breathe with malfunctioning machine.

Joining this forum has given me more empowerment and info than all the professionals in two decades!  Getting sleepyhead, reading the info on how to interpret your charts , and having forum input has given me much more control over my sleep apnea!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2017, 11:28 AM)Melman Wrote: An alternative or supplement to the cervical collar, and what worked best for me, is a buckwheat chaff pillow which can be configured to stabilize your head position and prevent chin tucks. I use the CPAPfit pillow, which contains foam as well as buckwheat chaff, available from Amazon for $49 but I'm sure there are other good ones. See these threads:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-pillow-use

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...=buckwheat

I'm not suggesting there is no need to increase your pressure but just providing another possible solution to positional issues.

Thanks Melman .....Bought one of the cpapfit pillows and used it religiously.  Found I had a broken neck, and the chiropractor suggested the pillow was causing my chronic pain. Stopped using it for one night and voila!...no more pain in the neck.  Found out that the best pillow for my condition is only three inches thick.

Also, I am a side sleeper.  The wife thinks last night's events occurred when I rolled onto my back.

Is this relevant?
Post Reply Post Reply
Made adjustments....AHI was 6.37!

whoop

thank you everyone
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2017, 09:48 AM)peteetah Wrote: Made adjustments....AHI was 6.37!

whoop

thank you everyone

[Image: X4jNjl0l.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: X4jNjl0l.png]
help...went from 6 to 19

[Image: fbgVPlsl.png]
Do I need to increase pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a believer in keeping the high pressure high if, IF, you can handle the higher pressures.  You are just bumping into 17 on the 6.3 AHI so the high could be raised a bit.  I would also raise the min to 11 with the possibility of increasing it again in the future.  so a change to 11-20 cmH2O.

The second night has what looks like a lot of positional issues.  What can you tell us about that night.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2017, 09:02 AM)bonjour Wrote: I'm a believer in keeping the high pressure high if, IF, you can handle the higher pressures.  You are just bumping into 17 on the 6.3 AHI so the high could be raised a bit.  I would also raise the min to 11 with the possibility of increasing it again in the future.  so a change to 11-20 cmH2O.

The second night has what looks like a lot of positional issues.  What can you tell us about that night.

Fred

My wife and I discussed the numbers this morning, and she didn't notice anything last night.  We both thought that the change in numbers were due to some need for pressure, and she suggested placing pillows behind me so I don't roll on my back.  She noticed the night before that I only seem to have problems when I roll over on my back, and then she told me to roll over, and I stopped.  She indicated she has done this forever......

I seemed to handle the 17 the previous night, so I'm all in on 11-20 cMH20!

Cervical collar plus some kind of roll restraint?
Post Reply Post Reply
Piled pillow so I would not roll on my back.....

[Image: ubVNenFl.png]
Do I have to always sleep like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is bouncing of of 20 all night long, not staying there but bouncing.
Because of your pressure here you are a candidate for BiPap/BiLevel (AirCurve VAuto in ResMed).  Keep this in mind when you talk to your Dr.

That said.  Your AHI is still too high.  ALL your events here are obstructive.  Obstructive events are managed with Expiration Pressure, the bottom line on your pressure graph.  So we need to raise your Expiration pressure.  This we will do by reducing your EPR.  Your current EPR is 3, please reduce to 2.  This will effectively increase your Expiration pressure by 1 cmH2O.

The concept I'm trying to work on is to establish a solid baseline where we can demonstrate excellent numbers, excellent AHI control.  Then from there work with you on your positional issues knowing at least one solution going in.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Bonjour that your Expiration Pressure needs to be increased. Your median pressure is almost 17, but you minimum is 11. I would expect you would get better results by raising your minimum a cmH2O per week, watching your AHI and median pressure as you go. You may eventually wind up with a Bi-Level machine, but it may not go as high once you increase your minimum pressure.

As one whose AHI goes up when I reduce or eliminate my EPR, I always look to see how many CA's there are compared to Hypopneas. More Pressure Support (or EPR) tends to increase the Centrals, but decrease the Hypopneas. You have lots of hypopneas, but no centrals, so I would not decrease the EPR, but rather increase the minimum pressure. You can try each approach for a week or so and see what works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 674 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Resmed A11 Autoset - Set to standard time? foss 2 499 11-07-2023, 05:48 AM
Last Post: multicast
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,195 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  [Diagnosis] Request observations on readings/Leaks Bob Cali 11 1,090 07-29-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Bob Cali

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.