Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are these settings OK?
RE: Are these settings OK?
Welcome to the forum.

Your numbers are good, your volumes, tidal volume and minute vent, are ok as you are a small woman, thanks for that info, but you are indicating a shortness of breath, the first zoomed image supports that impression during sleep, showing that you are breathing shallowly at times during the night. You also mention some shortness of breath during the day. Both of these may be related to your surgery and the reduced lung volume post surgery.

A BiLevel machine with its capability for providing pressure support is capable of improving your tidal volume and minute vent which should improve your shortness of breath at night. I would discuss this with your doctor. Note that your current machine is not designed to do this.
Gideon - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Thank you. Really appreciate your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought my Dreamstation was a BIPAP machine. I checked after your post. In the settings there is a Flex feature allowing me to adjust inhale and exhale features. Or is a Bilevel machine different from a Bipap? Oh and you are right. The shortness of breath as opposed to the apnea was post surgery. I’ve been to doctors about it and had X-rays and scans, the advice is to exercise more and do not skip CPAP. When asked how I could adjust CPAP to maximise treatment, the ENT doctor referred me back to the Philips sleep tech/salesman who has been no help. The doctor said there’s really not much difference between machines so I never even thought of looking at other manufacturers.  The flex feature on my Dreamstation is on auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Further to my latest post that Dreamstation has flex function, I would like to share my experience with the professional community. I asked my sleep tech to adjust the pressure of my machine to a higher maximum than 10 to give me a better range. He said it was not necessary as my average pressure, as he put it, hovers around 9. But he could sell me a humidifier to help with any discomfort. At that point I decided to be my own sleep tech, teach myself about CPAP treatment and bought what I thought was a machine (with humidifier) based on the latest in CPAP research. Also,I’m sure you are all aware of internet blogs warning of the dangers of adjusting or “hacking” your machine, that only a licensed person has the expertise to do so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Sorry, I meant experience OF not with the so-called professional community.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a CPAP that auto-adjusts pressure, but it does not provide bilevel pressure. Take a look at the A-Flex wiki to get an idea of what it does to round-off the start of inspiration and expiration. It never provides more than 2-cm pressure drop, and it is flow-based depending on how assertive your spontaneous breathing is. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/A-Flex You also have some variable breathing as shown in the pink shaded areas. This is a part of the Philips algorithm that is truly dysfunctional. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Breathing
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cannot thank everyone enough for their help. I will now do some research on the Resmed Autoset and perhaps give myself a birthday present.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Bipap settings bioshen7 11 202 02-22-2021, 01:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New VAuto, need help with settings nininho 30 1,830 12-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Last Post: nininho
  Need help on cpap settings Beaumont1124 95 3,364 12-16-2020, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I think my settings are not optimal virus 1 272 11-13-2020, 03:26 PM
  BiPAP Settings? Shnorky 12 672 11-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Shnorky
  Settings I Should Tweak? Antistan 5 343 10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
  ASV settings help please! petemsw 10 704 07-26-2020, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.