Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Are these settings OK?
Are these settings OK?
Hi, I’m looking for help with my CPAP settings. I switched to Dreamstation over a month ago from Philips Respironics. I had very little information before from the sleep techs whose main job was to get new buyers rather than spend time on those who had already paid for the machine. Their comments for me over the years were along the lines of: you are doing ok. Just make sure you don’t miss treatment too often. I never felt any improvement in my sleeping and experienced constant nose and throat dryness, so I have decided to help myself by learning about apnea, CPAP, and what I should look out for. I bought the Dreamstation as I realized needed a humidifier and there was a package sale on. I have uploaded a screenshot of OSCAR and would be grateful for advice on whether I am doing the settings right.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are these settings OK?
We prefer to look at the Daily Details charts as shown in my signature links under Organizing Your Oscar Charts. When you got your Dreamstation, you basically got your old CPAP in a new package and helped line the pockets of your supplier. Philips has done nothing to improve their therapy algorithm in 20 years, and we really prefer the Resmed Autoset, which acts to prevent event, rather than respond to them. Your Philips Dreamstation needs to be set to a higher pressure in order to be ahead of events to prevent them, and your minimum pressure is too low for the obstructive apnea and hypopnea. Your Average pressure is about 8.0 and the 95% pressure is at over 11.0. Your effective minimum pressure should be 9.0 to 10.0 cm to get ahead of the curve and resolve the events before they occur. We can suggest more with a Daily chart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I knew of apnea board sooner. I bought into conventional wisdom that CPAP treatment is highly complex and sophisticated and best left to the tech guys who will only have my best interest at heart (despite being employed by the companies making the machines). My doctor referred me to the Philips people and left my treatment in their hands. Enough complaining. I’m in the right place now. I attach the daily screenshot and would appreciate your thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply
BobbieM - Could you please provide the same day's screenshot but not zoomed in to a 45-second window?  It would be very helpful to see the day's complete sleep session. Also, we usually use a 2-minute zoom when we are looking at the details.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m afraid I am I am not too computer savvy. I just checked the screenshot I sent and it shows information from 3 am to 8:30 am. Also, I used OSCAR’s screenshot function to capture the page. So I am not quite sure what is meant by a two minute zoom. How do I do that?
Post Reply Post Reply
First look at the Events graph, and you will see that it is "grayed out" except for a sliver at the 4:08 time period. Next, look at the timescale on the Flow Rate graph. You have the time zoomed in to this period. To reset the graphs, either select another day and then return to this day, or press and hold down the Escape key until the complete time line is displayed under all the graphs.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I’ll try to work it out and get back to you tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you provide more of your medical history, please? Especially anything dealing with breathing or heart.
Your Tidal volume and Minute Vent seem a bit low. Your height and weight would help with this.
Overall your apnea numbers seem ok, but we do need a non-zoomed view to be specific.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve finally figured out how to do the screenshots. I attach two nights. I am a woman, 75, around 118 lbs, just under five feet. Healthy heart. Blood pressure normal. Non-smoker. Not on any long-term medication. Two years ago I had major surgery for an illness unrelated to my lungs or breathing. It required a one-month hospital stay and lengthy recovery. Which meant little moving about for months. My right lung volume post-hospital is “small with elevation of right hemidiaphram”. No treatment needed. I am in full health now except for occasional shortness of breath while sleeping (that’s the apnea) and sometimes even when awake on minimal exertion. I have regular wellness checks. Doctor told me to exercise more and keep using CPAP. Thank you guys I really appreciate the help.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think you would benefit from a minimum pressure of 8.0. Your Dreamstation APAP just sits there at low pressure and lets events happen with no reaction at all. We do see a 95% pressure routinely over 11, and that is a signal a higher pressure might be better, if you find it reasonably comfortable. Some of the events are odd in that they appear to be breath-holds, and originate out of inhale. That's a bit odd, but not alarming. You have no snores, so the Philips auto algorithm is particularly unsuited to your needs. I do think when it comes time to replace this, you should insist on a Resmed Auutoset. You clearly have flow limitation, perhaps upper airway restriction, and it is by far the better device for that as it provides some bilevel pressure with its EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirCurve 10 ASV settings - Equivalent settings for AirCurve 10 VAUTO Shadowpup 0 857 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  ResMed Adjust ASV Settings to AutoASV Settings ronsch00 4 3,663 06-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  SleepyHead Question: machine settings on Daily Sidebar don't match actual settings Kris the Crone 6 2,116 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Kris the Crone
Question Auto CPAP settings vs Auto BiPAP settings thasan26 1 2,758 05-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: robysue

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.