Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aromatherapy With CPAP
RE: Aromatherapy With CPAP
Im 2 weeks in and having trouble adjusting to the whole cpap thing .... falling / staying asleep is a challange so I'm definitely going to try a bit of lavender.

So glad I found this board !!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Calm and Clear aromatherapy oils. It makes the experience pleasant for me and gives me a good association between the apap and pleasant smells. I ordered Peace but it hasn't come in yet. I love lavender so I'm really looking forward to that one. I put a few drops on the diffuser pad and set it near the intake. I haven't found it to be too strong or headache inducing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using Aromatherapy. I had some combination scents, essential oils, (not from the CPAP store) and found the one for Peace and Calming works the best for me. Also mixed up my own blends using different oils. However, I've found that when I use blends with Lavender or Tangerine in them they are too stimulating. Love the smell of Lavender though!

As far as what would bother your sinuses and such, if you have pollen and grass allergies some of the more "musky" scents might bother you too, (rosemary, clary sage etc.).

Good luck. You won't regret using aromatherapy once you find the best scent(s) for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 09:31 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: When I've used aromatherapy products around my CPAP machine, I put some on a diffuser pad and put it at the air intake. You have to be careful with the essential oils, because they can gum things up. My suggestion is to put your oils on the diffuser pads away from the machine and then take it back to your bedroom, once you have set up your diffuser pads. I haven't done that for a long time because I have gotten used to the CPAP machine, hose and mask. The Respironics machines are easier to use the aromatherapy products with because of where the filter is and where you place the diffuser pad. I didn't have as good of success with my Resmed S9AutoSet, doesn't mean it won't work with those machines, I just never had luck with it.

Dumb question here..but what is a diffuser pad?
Post Reply Post Reply
An essential oil diffuser vaporizes it into the air. The better ones use an ultrasonic transducer, but the less expensive ones use a heater under a fiber pad. You can even get the latter for a car cigarette lighter outlet.

Look on Amazon for "essential oil diffuser pads."

A cotton ball would be just as effective in this application.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep-wellSleep-wellThanks
(07-20-2015, 06:42 PM)Kakkles Wrote: Just curious who uses Aromatherapy and if it makes any difference in getting to sleep, staying asleep? Does anyone find it clogs them up?

Any favourite aromas? Any you would stay away from?

Thanks

I have tried the Vapor Clear disks with calm and clear scents. Also eaucalyptus drops from Eve Hansen. Both on disks or cotton near the intake.
What i use a lot lately is Aveena baby calming and comfort bath. I wash the mask, tub , and hose with it and add several drops to the distilled water. It has a nice lavender and vanilla scent. Since it is save for infants skin. It certainly should not harm the cpap equipment or my skin
Post Reply Post Reply
There are different types of diffuser pads. The ones I use are refills for a plug-in aromatherapy diffuser. They are approximately 1" x 1.5", and are compressed cotton I think. I find them at my health food store.

It helped distract me from the process of needing and wearing CPAP. I don't use it all the time now, but will use it if the Vinegar smell is too bad after cleaning.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think my PR instruction book says not to add anything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] WARNING: AROMATHERAPY srlevine1 1 703 10-27-2021, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  aromatherapy oils in cpap machine somnia16 26 22,735 03-23-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Doctor
  Try adding aromatherapy to your treatment if you are new and having trouble nzbnate 19 4,214 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: CB91710
Surprised First full nights sleep thanks to Aromatherapy!!! antcyd 14 21,932 12-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Last Post: cate1898
  CPAP Aromatherapy cowboy1970 6 5,864 08-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Last Post: cowboy1970

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.