Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Arrrrrgghh!
Arrrrrgghh!
I have been using my Simplus medium mask for a while now with and without a chin strap. No matter how I tension it I get leaks around the top of the nose. It's infuriating! Why can't someone invent a leak proof mask?

I'm sure someone could engineer a way of using the machine's back pressure to create suction in the silicon seal to hold it fast and perhaps a set of fine membranes to create extra baffles against leakage.

Arrrrggghhh!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Arrrrrgghh!
I too love the simplus, but find that it is leaking around the top of my nose. It is quite sad as it is my most comfortable mask otherwise.

I use a Quattro 'Air' cinched down very tightly (to the point that the headgear seams are coming apart), which also leaves marks around my nose - and normally I never have any marks from mask wearing. I switch between the too - when I need a break from the 'Air'. If I loosen the 'Air' mask at all I get leaks all over, yet the Simplus can be worn rather loosely ('cept for the nose leaks, which there is no help for).

My very favorite mask is a 'Wisp', but as air hisses out my lips, leaks become uncontrolled. A chinstrap and I do not get along, it is not my mouth falling open -air simply escapes through my lips.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 02:10 PM)Peter_C Wrote: the Simplus can be worn rather loosely ('cept for the nose leaks, which there is no help for)

Cut a small patch (approx. 3" X 3") from an old tee shirt and use it to cover the nose area when placing the SimPlus to your face. Cut the top a little narrower to keep it from falling into your eyes. It won't stop the leak (just diffuses it) but you won't feel or hear it any more. Leaks in that area are particularly bothersome but usually are of very low volume and don't affect the therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 02:16 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:
(09-14-2014, 02:10 PM)Peter_C Wrote: the Simplus can be worn rather loosely ('cept for the nose leaks, which there is no help for)

Cut a small patch (approx. 3" X 3") from an old tee shirt and use it to cover the nose area when placing the SimPlus to your face. Cut the top a little narrower to keep it from falling into your eyes. It won't stop the leak (just diffuses it) but you won't feel or hear it any more. Leaks in that area are particularly bothersome but usually are of very low volume and don't affect the therapy.

I will need to get off my butt and try that. I tried mask liners - which just upset my sleep even more. I am tempted to get some of that liquid rubber, and try to build up the area, but I fear ruining the mask.

Sidenote: I do find that if I can control the leaks that my therapy overall is much, much better, both sleep-wise and number-wise. So for me, it's all about chasing leaks.
Many times I wake up only to find the bottom half of my FFM in my mouth -DUH! But again, I can't do chip-straps either...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure it'll work for you since I had the same experience with the SimPlus mask. It's a great mask for those with a fairly flat face but if you have a prominate cheek bone, it will high center on that and not fit the nose area very well. Nothing like a jet stream of cold air blasting in your eyes to get your attention!

Good luck. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I always thought someone should make a mask attachment that glues on like the pro-vent did. I understand that some of Sullivan's original testing involved gluing a connection to the face.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 01:38 PM)Stroppy Wrote: I have been using my Simplus medium mask for a while now with and without a chin strap. No matter how I tension it I get leaks around the top of the nose. It's infuriating!

Haven't worn the Simplus yet, but I find that some FFMs need a gel pad near the eyes and across the bridge of the nose.

I got good results from the ResMed Gecko nasal gel pad. This gel pad is thicker than ones sold over the counter at the corner drug store and for me completely stopped leaking around the eyes, and I could wear the mask straps looser, so that the bridge of my nose didn't get sore from the straps being too tight.

I think most insurance companies cover these, one per month. If our insurance does not, Supplier #2 on our Supplier List has them for $16, I think. The generic ones at the drug store would be about half that much, I think.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions...I'll give them a go.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.