Article: Could a bad night's sleep make you eat more fatty food - Oh Yes!
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: Article: Could a bad night's sleep make you eat more fatty food - Oh Yes!
(02-26-2015 10:44 PM)Sparkle Wrote:  Ugh, you are so right. Its like which way to turn first - I'm posting another thread on the AWAKE meeting I went to tonight (sleep apnea support group) - there was a fascinating presentation given by a nurse practitioner (?) entitled SWEET Dreams: Sleep Apnea and Diabetes. Talk about a lousy spiral....

Don't I know it! I was hoping that sleeping on cpap was going to magically lower my fasting blood sugars and shake off the weight, but not yet Big Grin

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
02-27-2015 01:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sparkle Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Res Med Air Sense 10 Auto Set
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed S10 37028
CPAP Pressure: 4-14

Other Comments: 3 brothers on CPAP; rescue mom to Bootsie Bella; wishes the APAP matched the decor in my bedroom :)

(02-27-2015 12:15 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote:  "Make you" eat more fatty food?

That seems like a misnomer. Fatty food can't hold a gun to your head.

There is supposedly a link between seasonal depression and other forms of depression that can increase craving for sweets and carbs, and a lack of sleep (or poor quality sleep) can also chemically cause this, but as humans we have the power of free will, otherwise known as will power, and are not actually compelled to eat more food of any kind, because it is within our power not to.

So it is not so much a compulsion as it is a tug-of-war, and we have to accept that there is a struggle, and on any day we may be winning or we may be backsliding. The lesson here is to get good sleep and participate in good therapy to increase your resistance to craving and to lower your craving. It increases the power of your will and decreases the power of the craving itself, directly. Chemically. If you don't strive for that, you may have more craving or less ability to resist craving, but the eating itself? The giving in to the craving? That is on the eater.

I went to an AWAKE support group meeting last night. A presentation was given by a nurse practitioner that spoke to the hormones - many of them that control appetite - that come into play (or not) when sleep quality is poor. It's very difficult to exercise free will and discipline when hormones are orchestrating all the signals that cause cravings.
02-27-2015 08:04 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

You should have come to Zonk's place. We had a great meal with a fine Australian Cabernet.

I think what you ladies are describing might be metabolic syndrome. A cycle that's difficult to break.

I think some people do not understand that using exogenous insulin to control blood glucose makes weight control even more difficult.
Insulin has hormonal effects that tell the body to store excess glucose as fat; then says, "Nein! you cannot breakdown my fat for energy."
Balancing weight loss with blood glucose control is like walking on a knife edge.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-27-2015 08:28 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sparkle Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Res Med Air Sense 10 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed S10 37028
CPAP Pressure: 4-14

Other Comments: 3 brothers on CPAP; rescue mom to Bootsie Bella; wishes the APAP matched the decor in my bedroom :)

(02-27-2015 08:28 AM)justMongo Wrote:  You should have come to Zonk's place. We had a great meal with a fine Australian Cabernet.

Aw Shucks!! I missed it!!! Darn it!
02-27-2015 09:09 AM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

(02-27-2015 08:28 AM)justMongo Wrote:  I think what you ladies are describing might be metabolic syndrome. A cycle that's difficult to break.

I think some people do not understand that using exogenous insulin to control blood glucose makes weight control even more difficult.
Insulin has hormonal effects that tell the body to store excess glucose as fat; then says, "Nein! you cannot breakdown my fat for energy."
Balancing weight loss with blood glucose control is like walking on a knife edge.

exactly!

metabolic syndrome is the epitome of the vicious cycle problem!

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

02-27-2015 02:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

Mrs. R_G, the power puppies, and I are off for a 3 day weekend down coast a ways for tourism, power shopping, and my personal favorite, eating a lot. It is safe to assume my neat, trim, schoolboy figure I now sport will be taking a few hits.
02-27-2015 02:36 PM
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(02-27-2015 08:04 AM)Sparkle Wrote:  I went to an AWAKE support group meeting last night. A presentation was given by a nurse practitioner that spoke to the hormones - many of them that control appetite - that come into play (or not) when sleep quality is poor. It's very difficult to exercise free will and discipline when hormones are orchestrating all the signals that cause cravings.

She's right. And so are you.

And so am I.

Resisting the craving is very difficult. Life is very difficult.

But "orchestrating" implies that we have to listen to the conductor and do whatever he/she says. We don't. We have free will. We can choose not to eat what we should not eat, regardless of what our hormones are urging us to do.

So I think the smart thing to do is to minimize the opportunity for hormones or any other force to test our will, and then to exercise that will.

Eating is always a choice made solely by the eater. All choices have consequences. We can't blame our actions on some "force", and use that as an excuse; we have to own our choices.
03-01-2015 07:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2015 peer reviewed article comparing a bench test of 11 APAPs robysue 4 220 Today 07:06 AM
Last Post: cands
  2015 peer reviewed article on how xPAPs score events and auto algorithms respond robysue 1 118 12-03-2016 07:48 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Can home care provider make our machine unusable? LPN2012 10 372 12-01-2016 05:22 AM
Last Post: LPN2012
  AHI sudden increase from to much food? rich2905 8 492 09-13-2016 12:09 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  Research Article comparing CPAP machines stephennic 0 225 09-10-2016 07:27 AM
Last Post: stephennic
  [News] Washington Post Article Sleepster 15 934 09-09-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  My article on today's Huff Post re sleep apnea journey JaneAM 9 591 09-08-2016 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleepster