Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Article: Could a bad night's sleep make you eat more fatty food - Oh Yes!
RE: Article: Could a bad night's sleep make you eat more fatty food - Oh Yes!
(02-26-2015, 10:44 PM)Sparkle Wrote: Ugh, you are so right. Its like which way to turn first - I'm posting another thread on the AWAKE meeting I went to tonight (sleep apnea support group) - there was a fascinating presentation given by a nurse practitioner (?) entitled SWEET Dreams: Sleep Apnea and Diabetes. Talk about a lousy spiral....

Don't I know it! I was hoping that sleeping on cpap was going to magically lower my fasting blood sugars and shake off the weight, but not yet Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 12:15 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: "Make you" eat more fatty food?

That seems like a misnomer. Fatty food can't hold a gun to your head.

There is supposedly a link between seasonal depression and other forms of depression that can increase craving for sweets and carbs, and a lack of sleep (or poor quality sleep) can also chemically cause this, but as humans we have the power of free will, otherwise known as will power, and are not actually compelled to eat more food of any kind, because it is within our power not to.

So it is not so much a compulsion as it is a tug-of-war, and we have to accept that there is a struggle, and on any day we may be winning or we may be backsliding. The lesson here is to get good sleep and participate in good therapy to increase your resistance to craving and to lower your craving. It increases the power of your will and decreases the power of the craving itself, directly. Chemically. If you don't strive for that, you may have more craving or less ability to resist craving, but the eating itself? The giving in to the craving? That is on the eater.

I went to an AWAKE support group meeting last night. A presentation was given by a nurse practitioner that spoke to the hormones - many of them that control appetite - that come into play (or not) when sleep quality is poor. It's very difficult to exercise free will and discipline when hormones are orchestrating all the signals that cause cravings.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should have come to Zonk's place. We had a great meal with a fine Australian Cabernet.

I think what you ladies are describing might be metabolic syndrome. A cycle that's difficult to break.

I think some people do not understand that using exogenous insulin to control blood glucose makes weight control even more difficult.
Insulin has hormonal effects that tell the body to store excess glucose as fat; then says, "Nein! you cannot breakdown my fat for energy."
Balancing weight loss with blood glucose control is like walking on a knife edge.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 08:28 AM)justMongo Wrote: You should have come to Zonk's place. We had a great meal with a fine Australian Cabernet.

Aw Shucks!! I missed it!!! Darn it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 08:28 AM)justMongo Wrote: I think what you ladies are describing might be metabolic syndrome. A cycle that's difficult to break.

I think some people do not understand that using exogenous insulin to control blood glucose makes weight control even more difficult.
Insulin has hormonal effects that tell the body to store excess glucose as fat; then says, "Nein! you cannot breakdown my fat for energy."
Balancing weight loss with blood glucose control is like walking on a knife edge.

exactly!

metabolic syndrome is the epitome of the vicious cycle problem!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Mrs. R_G, the power puppies, and I are off for a 3 day weekend down coast a ways for tourism, power shopping, and my personal favorite, eating a lot. It is safe to assume my neat, trim, schoolboy figure I now sport will be taking a few hits.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 08:04 AM)Sparkle Wrote: I went to an AWAKE support group meeting last night. A presentation was given by a nurse practitioner that spoke to the hormones - many of them that control appetite - that come into play (or not) when sleep quality is poor. It's very difficult to exercise free will and discipline when hormones are orchestrating all the signals that cause cravings.

She's right. And so are you.

And so am I.

Resisting the craving is very difficult. Life is very difficult.

But "orchestrating" implies that we have to listen to the conductor and do whatever he/she says. We don't. We have free will. We can choose not to eat what we should not eat, regardless of what our hormones are urging us to do.

So I think the smart thing to do is to minimize the opportunity for hormones or any other force to test our will, and then to exercise that will.

Eating is always a choice made solely by the eater. All choices have consequences. We can't blame our actions on some "force", and use that as an excuse; we have to own our choices.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 565 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 64 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 214 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,412 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.