Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ashamed and humiliated......
I normally don't enjoy going to the doctor but I thought today was going to be different as my appointment was with the sleep doctor who is a nice guy. In the process of checking me in after the nurse called my name, she asked me to step on the scale. I stopped and looked at this big piece of metal lying on the floor and then realized it was a freight scale. How humiliating can it be to weigh someone who is already well aware of how large they are - on a freight scale. If there were anymore sleep doctors in my town, I would find a different doctor to see next time. I feel crushed.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor has a scale like that to. I'm not sure if that's the new type of scale, or are they trying to send us a message. Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not run into this. Send a letter to the doctor personally and explain how it made you feel. He runs a business, and might make a change. I'm sure he has patients that need a higher capacity scale, so that may be what the office ordered, but i'm sure you know it's not a personal insult unless there was a conventional height/weight unit also present.

BTW, you have the right to decline any measurement, including stepping on a freight scale. Just say no.
Post Reply Post Reply

Is it the only scale they have, and does everyone use it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2016, 08:27 PM)OpalRose Wrote: My sleep doctor has a scale like that to. I'm not sure if that's the new type of scale, or are they trying to send us a message. Unsure

OpalRose ~ I'm sorry you have to be insulted also by being weighed on a freight scale. The message they send is demeaning in my opinion, especially when most other doctors have a regular scale.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2016, 08:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have not run into this. Send a letter to the doctor personally and explain how it made you feel. He runs a business, and might make a change. I'm sure he has patients that need a higher capacity scale, so that may be what the office ordered, but i'm sure you know it's not a personal insult unless there was a conventional height/weight unit also present.

BTW, you have the right to decline any measurement, including stepping on a freight scale. Just say no.

I honestly don't remember if there was a conventional scale present or not. I do know that an endocrinologist that I saw about a year ago, who works for the same health care system, also has a freight scale. But in his case, there was a conventional scale present. I asked him for help with adjusting my insulin so I could lose weight, and he laughed, told me to starve myself. I never went back to him.

Post Reply Post Reply

(10-13-2016, 08:41 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: Is it the only scale they have, and does everyone use it?

I was the only patient that I saw present and I don't remember if it is the only scale they have.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll repeat. You have the right to decline any measurement, test, procedure or medication. Your health, your choice. Just say no.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tanita makes electronic scales as high as 440 pounds. And they look nothing like a freight scale.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

It could also be a scale larger and closer to the ground so that those in wheelchairs can roll up onto them. They weigh chairs and all, then roll off. The person either knows the weight of their chair, or they transfer to another chair and the chair is weighed alone. Since some powerchairs can weigh as much as 400lbs alone, I can see how a freight scale would be needed. The larger platform would be needed as well.

Or it could be they have a lot of obese patients and figure this was the best alternative. For them. The least they could do is pretty it up so it does not look like a freight scale.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply