Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Ashamed and humiliated......
(10-15-2016 07:11 AM)49er Wrote:  I would google low carb RN as she discusses the advantages of a low carb, high fat diet for people with diabetes. Many people (not all) have found going on this type of diet causes them to not need insulin.

The OP is a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump with CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor). (It's in her profile.)

Type 1 produces no insulin. Unlike Type 2 which is usually a matter of insulin resistance.

Diabetics should restrict carb intake. As for a Type 1 getting off insulin: I do not believe that is likely. It might allow for a re-calibration of the pump's basal rate; and lesser meal time dose.

Insulin is also a fat storage hormone. Trying to lose weight when using insulin is walking the thin end of the wedge.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2016 11:33 AM by justMongo.)
10-15-2016 11:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(10-15-2016 11:32 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
(10-15-2016 07:11 AM)49er Wrote:  I would google low carb RN as she discusses the advantages of a low carb, high fat diet for people with diabetes. Many people (not all) have found going on this type of diet causes them to not need insulin.

The OP is a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump with CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor). (It's in her profile.)

Type 1 produces no insulin. Unlike Type 2 which is usually a matter of insulin resistance.

Diabetics should restrict carb intake. As for a Type 1 getting off insulin: I do not believe that is likely. It might allow for a re-calibration of the pump's basal rate; and lesser meal time dose.

Insulin is also a fat storage hormone. Trying to lose weight when using insulin is walking the thin end of the wedge.

Thanks justMongo for pointing that out and my apologies for missing that. Yup, according to low carb RN, a low carb diet may lower the insulin dose type 1s neeed but you are right, I don't think it can be eliminated.

49er
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2016 01:00 PM by 49er.)
10-15-2016 11:56 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Many people feel that a scale deck that is built into the floor and is even with the floor makes it a freight scale. This is not the case. As has been said earlier in this thread, there are good reasons for doctors or medical institutions to have scales with decks built into the floor. Freight scale decks generally have more robust underpinnings due to the weights and abuse involved but chances are good that you can not see this.

Even the veterinarian that we have used for the last 30 years has a scale deck in the floor that has been there longer than we have been going to this vet. I would guess that the idea was to avoid the difficulty of weighing animals that want off a smaller scale immediately. This way the owner can get on the scale holding the squirmy little rascal and then get back on without the animal.

I do not think that floor scales are aimed at obese people but people with other disadvantages and I think it is a good idea.

What I thought was worse. was some time ago when doctors were using the scales with the sliding weights and putting them on a carpeted floor on top of the carpet. A definite no-no for anything resembling an accurate weight.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
10-15-2016 12:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
sonicboom Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Airsense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10, Dreamwear
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 4.6-7.6
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I frequently just tell the nurse my weight and we walk right past the scale...

Coffee
10-15-2016 01:04 PM
KSMatthew Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 7

Other Comments:

(10-15-2016 01:04 PM)sonicboom Wrote:  I frequently just tell the nurse my weight and we walk right past the scale...

I did that once. The nurse stopped walking, looked at me over the top of her glasses, and I knew a step on the scale was in my future.
10-15-2016 03:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

(10-15-2016 11:56 AM)49er Wrote:  
(10-15-2016 11:32 AM)justMongo Wrote:  

Thanks justMongo for pointing that out and my apologies for missing that. Yup, according to low carb RN, a low carb diet may lower the insulin dose type 1s neeed but you are right, I don't think it can be eliminated.

49er

49er ~ This is the 2nd forum in as many days where I've run into that link about low carb RN. I went there to do some reading and was absolutely dumfounded!!

Early on, after my initial diagnosis of diabetes, the doctor sent me to a class where I was encouraged to consume about a total of 240+ carbs a day, which I did. Of course I was ignorant of the fact that insulin is a fat storing hormone and I also gained 90 lbs in almost a year. Now I learn that the class I went to so long ago did me NO favors in their teachings.

I recently went to a new Endocrinologist because I thought surely an endocrinologist will have some advice about losing weight. He just laughed at me when I asked him about weight loss for diabetics and told me to "starve myself."

I thank you for posting this link. Perhaps, over time, I can reduce the amount of insulin I'm required to take and gain a better opinion of myself when I look into the mirror each day. I owe you one.
10-16-2016 01:25 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

You know, with all the folks saying their docs have these new scales, I wonder if some time frame deadline is approaching and those over a certain office size are having to add them? The ADA is, after all, just a baby law at 26yrs old. Can't expect people to be all caught up with it yet, right? (that was sarcasm, in case you didn't catch that)

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-16-2016 01:46 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Paula - You have a great sense of humor ... Cool
10-16-2016 02:11 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

GrammaBear,
Went with my Grandaughter for her 2 yr. checkup. The scale caught my attention as I thought immediately of this topic.

Now mind you, this is a Childrens' Hospital and the scale was definitely new since last time I was there. It looked similar to the one I referred to as a freight scale at my Sleep Doctors office.
Low to the ground and large. They could have weighed 10 toddlers on this scale. My Grandaughter only weighs 26 pounds. I asked the nurse about it, and she said that they are replacing all scales to accommodate those with disabilities. Besides adults, there are many children in wheelchairs too.

OpalRose
10-16-2016 07:09 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

49er,
Thanks for the information on low carb RN. I am reading this with much interest.
I'm not diabetic, but could easily end up there if not careful.

OpalRose
10-16-2016 07:12 PM