stanleydean Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmart CPAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Drive Medical Comfort Fit Deluxe
Humidifier: Resmart
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: No downloadable software available for Resmart. Partial data available via icodeconnect.com

Sex: Male

RE: Ashamed and humiliated......
As trishsixhundred noted, good sleep doctors are not always easy to find and the next one might not be half as good. Throughout this thread is plenty of indication that this type of scale is becoming more common. With my balance problems the floor flush scale is a blessing. Thanks for initiating a very enlightening and interesting thread.

Stan
10-16-2016 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
GrammaBear,

I am glad I could help regarding your situation. As I always say to people, pay it forward when you get a chance.

I am just very saddened by your situation and speechless. My god, telling a diabetic to eat 240 grams of carbs per day and then to add insult to injury, have this advice lead to a weight gain of 90 pounds which puts you on a vicious treadmill.

I am not going to say you shouldn't feel bad about about being overweight as know I was devastated when I had med induced weight gain. But I hope you can see that it most likely happened due to horrible advice and that it isn't an issue of you being weak willed or lacking discipline which is typically very unfairly ascribed to people who are overweight.

Opal Rose - You are very welcome. My last A1C result which was a 5.7 put me into the pre diabetic range which interestingly 3 PCPs weren't alarmed about. Another post.

But based on my getting diabetic BS readings with high carb foods, I definitely could be diabetic if I am not careful. So I definitely understand your concerns.
10-17-2016 05:29 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

(10-16-2016 08:35 PM)stanleydean Wrote:  As trishsixhundred noted, good sleep doctors are not always easy to find and the next one might not be half as good. Throughout this thread is plenty of indication that this type of scale is becoming more common. With my balance problems the floor flush scale is a blessing. Thanks for initiating a very enlightening and interesting thread.

Stan

Stan ~

I'm not glad you are bothered by balance problems, but I am glad if my thread inadvertently helped someone else understand the reason for these newer scales we are finding in doctors offices. My late father used to tell me as a child that it was a good day if I learned something new. He had a grade school education, but I suspect he was wiser than I gave him credit for at the time.
10-17-2016 07:39 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

(10-17-2016 05:29 AM)49er Wrote:  GrammaBear,

I am glad I could help regarding your situation. As I always say to people, pay it forward when you get a chance.

I am just very saddened by your situation and speechless. My god, telling a diabetic to eat 240 grams of carbs per day and then to add insult to injury, have this advice lead to a weight gain of 90 pounds which puts you on a vicious treadmill.

I am not going to say you shouldn't feel bad about about being overweight as know I was devastated when I had med induced weight gain. But I hope you can see that it most likely happened due to horrible advice and that it isn't an issue of you being weak willed or lacking discipline which is typically very unfairly ascribed to people who are overweight.

Opal Rose - You are very welcome. My last A1C result which was a 5.7 put me into the pre diabetic range which interestingly 3 PCPs weren't alarmed about. Another post.

But based on my getting diabetic BS readings with high carb foods, I definitely could be diabetic if I am not careful. So I definitely understand your concerns.

49er ~

I belong to several diabetes forums here in the states and one forum overseas. It is sad that many people every day join these forums to learn how to manage their diabetes in a better way. Many were also told the same things I was and that is to eat 240+ carbs each day. As long as these types of advice are given to people with diabetes, the end result will be the same. I can't count the times when I have been scolded by a doctor for being obese. That isn't a good feeling. I am hopeful that if I am careful, maybe the weight will start to come off. Congrats on the brilliant A1C number.
10-17-2016 07:46 AM
Slim1950 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Respironics Bipap System One
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 4-12

Other Comments: Down to about 2 or less AHI p/hr

There is much controversy about the link between carbs and diabetes. I am on a whole foods plant based diet for weight loss. The back bone of this diet is starches (aka the dreaded carbs!). I began with a fair bit of skepticism, but amazingly, it worked. Check out the stuff that Dr Mc Dougall has written [commercial link removed]
My son in law is has type 2 diabetes, and vacationed with me for 1 week. He ate what I ate, (basically losts of veggies, potatoes and rice) and he did not need his metformin at all that week.

Anyway, check it out. I'm not going to argue. Just want to get it out there that there are scientists and doctors who present a different picture.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 08:13 AM by Slim1950.)
10-18-2016 08:11 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Sorry you felt bad.

Just think how someone feels when they step on the doctor's scale and are then it beeps and you're told you weigh too much for the machine.

Doctors ought to have scales that will weigh any patient. Building a scale isn't that difficult. It should be easy to make a scale that will weigh any human capable of standing. For that matter, it wouldn't need to look any different from a normal scale, other than maybe having a larger surface to stand on.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-19-2016 05:50 AM
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

We sometimes have a tendency to believe everyone should do what works for us. I have found that for the most part we are all different - somethings work for me, some things work for you. I suggest that there is no single silver bullet for either the cause or the sure for diabetes or being over weight. Each of us mush find our own solution.

That said... sigh.

One of the many things that can contribute, or cause those problems, I believe to be intestinal bacteria. Notice I said just one of the things that can cause it. But, there are increasing numbers of studies around the world showing that there is a correlation between the bacteria in your gut and your health, weight and longevity. We take antibiotics, we eat food riddled with antibiotics, and we tend to associate with others with the same health issues we have - all those can contribute to an unhealthy bacteria culture in our guts.

One of the things I find interesting about this is how we carry around a cloud of bacteria that contains more bacteria than we have human cells in our body - ie. if we started considering the bacteria that lives in us as part of us, we are more bacteria than human...

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
10-19-2016 08:53 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

(10-19-2016 05:50 AM)archangle Wrote:  octors ought to have scales that will weigh any patient. Building a scale isn't that difficult. It should be easy to make a scale that will weigh any human capable of standing. For that matter, it wouldn't need to look any different from a normal scale, other than maybe having a larger surface to stand on.

Uh, and not to cause offense, but I think that is the point of the "in the floor" scales. Someone in a wheel chair has limited options.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
10-19-2016 08:56 AM
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ramp off

GrammaBear

We have more than one exchange in the last year about diabetes and weight loss for those of that are insulin dependent. I am sorry that you had an uncomfortable visit with you sleep Doc.

Many times the advice we encounter; which is good advice for those whose diabetes can be managed by diet an exercise, can be offensive.
Since the people that give the advise, do not understand that the insulin we take causes the weight gain.

The same is true of people managing a doctors office or clinic. They are so busy collecting the data required by the insurance companies and the governments. They forget to be empathetic and compassionate ;because they are focusing on requirements.

I have been over 300lbs for more than 40 years and during most of those years, most doctors office did not have scale that was capable of accurately weighing me. Recently, I have had several encounters where the medical institution has installed a calibrated industrial scale to comply with the requirement in the Affordable Heath Care Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Both of these public laws in the United States, require the doctor to acuity measure your weight to apply for certain types of funding; and to be qualified to treat your condition.

My primary care doctor showed me a letter he got from my insurance company asking him why he has been unable to help me loose weight; asking him to recommend I see another doctor who may be more successful (they did not send that letter to me).

So what the bottom line? Keep you chin up; Don't let the bureaucracy get you down. Be aware that you can refuse to be weighed, but doing so may impact the doctor or clinics funding. Voice your opinion to those that weigh you. Letting them know that it makes you feel uncomfortable. This will help them learn to make the environment friendlier. Don't feel bad about speaking up; we all need to vent from time to time.

AND...........Keep up the gardening it is good treatment for us old folks taking insulin. I am about ready to pick my last cucumbers before the snow starts falling

Have a Happy Halloween

(10-15-2016 07:11 AM)49er Wrote:  
(10-13-2016 08:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  I'll repeat. You have the right to decline any measurement, test, procedure or medication. Your health, your choice. Just say no.

I completely agree with Sleeprider on this. You shouldn't have to do anything that makes you feel bad.
49er
10-19-2016 10:06 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(10-19-2016 10:06 AM)0rangebear Wrote:  My primary care doctor showed me a letter he got from my insurance company asking him why he has been unable to help me loose weight; asking him to recommend I see another doctor who may be more successful (they did not send that letter to me)...

Now that would cause me to blow my stack. Insurance interfering with my choice of doctor.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-19-2016 10:38 AM