GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

RE: Ashamed and humiliated......
(10-19-2016 10:38 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 10:06 AM)0rangebear Wrote:  My primary care doctor showed me a letter he got from my insurance company asking him why he has been unable to help me loose weight; asking him to recommend I see another doctor who may be more successful (they did not send that letter to me)...

Now that would cause me to blow my stack. Insurance interfering with my choice of doctor.

I agree with you, justMongo. I would be very unhappy that the insurance company feels they have the right to poke their face into our choice of doctor.

With my sleep doctor, I suspect there is something "fishy" going on with insurance as well. In the "after-visit-summary" that is printed out for the patient, the doctor listed my condition as morbidly obese due to excessive calories and his recommendation was a new Weight Loss Class that is sponsored by the hospital he works for. That was a week ago and no one has called me yet. It is just as well because the hospital is the very same hospital that recommended I eat 240+ carbohydrates each day, which in turn helped me put on the 90 excess pounds I currently carry. The sleep doctor even told me "I will be very upset if you choose to go somewhere else for a weight loss program". Huh
10-19-2016 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ramp off

Sex: Male

My doctor didn't care for it either.

(10-19-2016 10:38 AM)justMongo Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 10:06 AM)0rangebear Wrote:  My primary care doctor showed me a letter he got from my insurance company asking him why he has been unable to help me loose weight; asking him to recommend I see another doctor who may be more successful (they did not send that letter to me)...

Now that would cause me to blow my stack. Insurance interfering with my choice of doctor.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
10-19-2016 05:12 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

OB: Are you in a group plan? If so, there can be, well let's just call it collusion, to maximize little things they can get paid for.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-19-2016 06:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ramp off

Yep it is a large group plan, 10 million members

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
10-19-2016 10:37 PM